The Department of Engineering Systems and Environment at the University of Virginia’s School of Engineering and Applied Science seeks applications for an Infrastructure Laboratory Manager. The Laboratory Manager will also serve as the designated inventory manager for the Department of Engineering Systems and Environment.
The Infrastructure Laboratory Manager has oversight of complex physical lab environments in addition to supporting field testing experiments. This oversight includes responsibilities such as directing the technical activities of assigned research and ensuring safe operations and training. Responsibilities also include support for the activities of multiple, complex projects and laboratory sections of academic classes for undergraduate students. The Infrastructure Laboratory manager is responsible for making decisions related to laboratory operations and personnel, including quality control, compliance with regulations, budget priorities, long-range planning, and development and implementation of lab policies.
Key responsibilities for the position include:
- Supervise students and other lab staff during complex laboratory and field experiments and activities.
- Plan and conduct meetings to ensure compliance with established practices, to implement new policies, and to keep employees abreast of current changes and standards.
- Participate in the development and implementation of departmental policies and procedures and of new technical procedures; ensure that lab personnel maintain current knowledge of lab techniques, procedures, and equipment operation.
- Serve as subject matter experts for staff in scientific experimentation, and ensure that lab staff are properly trained in Standard Operating Procedures and equipment specific requirements.
- Represent the lab in interactions with other departments.
- Maintain liaison with investigators, research personnel, and staff to solve specific operating problems and improve technical activities. Advise on technical procedures, techniques, and equipment, and maintain conformance with specific operational standards.
- Manage and coordinate the activities of projects with responsibilities for results in terms of costs, methods, and laboratory resources required. Coordinate and supervise the performance of routine and specialized technical procedures in the labs.
- Direct quality control programs to ensure lab activities comply with organization and regulatory agency standards.
- Perform technical duties of Lab Specialist 4 such as developing, designing, and conducting one or more small or moderately complex research projects or experiments in line with a plan; coordinating data collection, screening and verifying data, reviewing progress, and evaluating results.
- Management of inventory and check-out system for research and teaching laboratory equipment
- This position can spend extended periods of time standing and squatting while conducting experiments in the lab or field.
- Safe and controlled lifting of structural specimens using cranes and hoist systems.
In addition to the above operational job responsibilities, successful candidates will have a fundamental understanding of engineering mechanics, mechanical testing, and field deployments for civil infrastructure. The following are representative of preferred experiences:
- Training/expertise on non-destructive evaluation equipment (digital image correlation, ground penetrating radar, infrared, laser scanning, photogrammetry, etc.)
- Data acquisition
- Operation and control of MTS servo-hydraulic actuator systems
- Operation of MTS Real-time hybrid simulation
- Bachelor’s degree in related science with at least six years of experience. Master’s degree in related field may substitute for required experience.
This position can spend extensive periods of time standing and squatting while conducting experiments. This position will entail some degree of lifting and maneuvering heavy structural components, which in many cases can be performed using lifting equipment.
This position will remain open until filled. For questions about the application process please contact Ashley Cochran, Senior Academic Recruiter, firstname.lastname@example.org .
PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs”, and search for R0008932. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address).
PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please visit UVA job board https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs , complete the application and attach a cover letter.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.