Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The Police Lieutenant, BNL Laboratory Protection Division, is responsible for assisting the Police Captain with supervising one of three platoons in the BNL Police Group by providing community oriented policing and security for the protection of Brookhaven National Laboratory and DOE interests. Assists the Platoon Captain with developing training rosters, oversees field inspections, and organizes random checks of facilities and areas of security interest. Provides crime statistics, trend analysis, and vehicle tracking for strategic planning activities and analysis results to propose changes to management. Serve as an Incident Commander. The position reports directly to the Police Captain and when the Captain is not on duty reports to the Police Chief. Supervises unionized personnel, including Sergeants, Security Police Officers (SPOs) and Security Officers (SO). Familiarity with DOE policy and directives is highly required.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- The Police Lieutenant serves as the first-line Patrol Supervisor or Watch Commander when on duty.
- This position reports to the Police Chief, Police Captain, and directly supervises unionized personnel, including Sergeants, Security Police Officers and Security Officers.
- Maintain, build relationships and partnerships with all BNL departments/divisions, and other federal, local law enforcement agencies (e.g. FBI, Suffolk County Police Department, Suffolk County Sheriff’s Department, New York State Police).
- Responsible for implementing all established security, police plans and procedures.
- Directs, schedules, and coordinates all community oriented policing and protection activities.
- Assists in the control and direction of the protective force in situations requiring police presence.
- Ensures that required reports, training and records are completed and maintained.
- Additional responsibilities listed in the Police Lieutenant R2A2.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires the equivalence of an associate’s degree in Criminal Justice or related field.
- Minimum of eight (8) years progressively responsible related work experience in the armed forces security, military police or with a law enforcement, public or private sector security organization.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience and leadership abilities.
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with DOE policies, directives, and requirements.
- Must complete all required BNL Supervisor requirements.
- Must maintain all Qualification as a DOE Security Police Officer 1, physical fitness, training, certifications and weapons qualification requirements.
- Must be willing to participate in DOE certification Instructor courses.
- Must be willing to obtain and maintain a certified U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Basic Instructor certification.
- Must be able to work all required shifts when assigned.
- Must possess a current DOE Q-level security clearance.
- Must maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced training in areas such as police and/or military procedure & team tactic, firearms and other police equipment, emergency response procedures, crime prevention, physical security.
- Incident command structure
Environmental, Safety, and Health, and Requirements:
- Practices, and implement controls to minimize risk to both officers and the public
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file