The Plumber position is a member of the Facilities Operations responsible for planning and performing journeyman level work to inspect, maintain, repair, modify, and install University plumbing, heating, water, gas, utility, drainage and other related systems. Follows university rules and regulations at all times, along with established safety procedures.
The incumbent in this position will work on a Monday – Friday, 1:00 pm – 9:30 pm shift schedule.
With minimal supervision, the incumbent shall perform the following duties and responsibilities. Other duties may be assigned.
- Perform all facets of the plumbing and heating trade in accordance with the National Standard Plumbing Code in a safe and effective manner. Investigates problems with plumbing systems, evaluates alternate solutions and provides sound recommendations to supervisors. In emergency situations, takes immediate steps to contain the problem and to restore the system to good operating order. Examples of this work include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assembles, installs and repairs plumbing fixtures such as sinks, commodes, bathtubs, water heaters, hot water tanks, and dishwashers.
- Assembles and installs valves, pipe fittings and pipes composed of metals such as iron, and steel, and plastic. Cuts and threads pipe. Joins pipes by the use of screwed, bolted, soldered, caulked or plastic solvent joints.
- Installs, repairs, modifies and maintains gas fired residential heating systems.
- Pressure tests piping systems to insure there are no leaks and that all system components are operating properly.
- Maintains, troubleshoots, tests and inspects backflow prevention devices.
- Maintains current knowledge of the National Standard Plumbing Code and other applicable building codes.
- Reads, understands and interprets construction related documents (drawings, submittals, technical manuals and specifications) in order to determine equipment and materials required or appropriate methods of installation.
- Ensures proper care in the safe use and maintenance of vehicles, tools and equipment.
- Maintains records of corrective and preventive work assignments received through an automated work order system (Maximo).
- Assists other trades personnel in work projects or special assignments.
- Responds to emergency call-ins on campus and for emergency after hours work as needed.
- Communicates clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Must have significant journey level plumbing experience, along with the trade knowledge to effectively understand and perform all facets of the plumbing trade in accordance with the National Standard Plumbing Code and other applicable codes.
- Must have strong background in residential/small commercial heating (installations, boiler repair, gas furnaces, etc.)
- Must possess high school diploma or an equivalency (GED)
- Must be able to investigate routine and emergency problems with plumbing and heating systems, evaluate alternative solutions and provide sound recommendations to supervisors. Must be able to safely and effectively carry out corrective actions.
- Must be able to read and interpret construction drawings, specifications, submittals, cut sheets, layouts and other plumbing trade related documentation.
- Must be able to properly and safely use the tools of the trade and carry out all tasks expected of a plumber.
- Must have an excellent ability to work both independently and with other trades personnel and customers.
- Must be available for after hours and emergency call back work, which may involve the carrying of a cell phone.
- Must be able to clearly and effectively communicate, both verbal and written.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to pass a background check.
- Must be able to meet the physical requirements listed below.
- Certification as a Licensed Master Plumber in the State of New Jersey.
- Completion of a State recognized four year apprentice training program in plumbing.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Stand or walk up to 2 hours at one time, up to 8 hours per day;
- Sit for less than 2 hours during an 8 hour day;
- Operates motor vehicles or heavy equipment (e.g., forklift, high reach, cherry picker) occasionally (less than 33% of the workday)
- Lift or carry up to 35 pounds frequently (34 – 66% of the workday) and 100 pounds occasionally (less than 33% of the workday);
- Lift up to 100 pounds to waist height and up to 35 pounds in a range of motions from floor to overhead:
- Frequently use hands for simple grasping, fine manipulation, pushing or pulling (34 – 66% of the workday);
- Occasionally climb stairs or ladders, dig, use jack hammer or chipping tools, lie down, push or pull with forces up to 100 pounds (less than 33% of the work day);
- Frequently bend, squat, kneel, knee stand, lift overheard, reach overhead, push or pull with forces up to 35 pounds; (34 – 66% of the work day);
- Work outdoors in a variety of temperatures and environmental conditions;
- Possess ability to work at heights, full range of body motions and physical agility, and ability to maintain balance.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW .
SEU-Service Employees Inter Union
Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate’s successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate’s current employment status with Princeton University.
Princeton University is a residential community and an employer that operates continuously 24 hours a day. Essential services employees perform jobs that are necessary and required to maintain basic University operations during scheduled closures or unscheduled suspension of normal operations due to emergencies, events, or other situations. Essential services employees may be asked and/or required to perform jobs or duties that fall outside of their normal job classification during an emergency event. Learn more about our Essential Services policy .
Go to our careers site.
Facility Mechanic, Rutgers University, United States, about 14 hours ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Facility Mechanic Job Category Staff & Executive - Facilities/Environmental/Maintenance Department Physical Plant - Nwk Overview New Jersey’s academic he...
Fire Sprinkler Technician, Rutgers University, United States, about 12 hours ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Fire Sprinkler Technician Job Category Staff & Executive - Other Department IPO-Emergency Services Overview The Division of Institutional Planning & Oper...
Mechanic (Multiple Vacancies) , Rutgers University, United States, 21 days ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Mechanic (Multiple Vacancies) Job Category AFSCME Local 888 Department Housing & Residence Life - Nwk Overview Newark Office of Housing and Residence Lif...
Maintenance Mechanic–Housing (Multiple Vacancies) , Rutgers University, United States, about 12 hours ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Maintenance Mechanic–Housing (Multiple Vacancies) Job Category AFSCME Local 888 Department Housing & Residence Life - Nwk Overview Newark Office of Hous...
Exhibition/Installation Coordinator, Rutgers University, United States, about 13 hours ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Exhibition/Installation Coordinator Posting Number 21TM0396 Department J Voorhees Zimmerli Art Museum Overview Posting Summary Rutgers, The State Univers...
Facilities Coordinator, Rutgers University, United States, about 12 hours ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Facilities Coordinator Job Category Staff & Executive - Administrative & Support Department IPO-Strategic Services Overview The Division of Institutional...