Pesticide Safety Education Specialist (Cornell Cooperative Extension); Ithaca, New York
Cornell University embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students, faculty and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented and/or marginalized identities to apply.
Pesticide Safety Education Specialist
Senior Extension Associate
Cornell Cooperative Extension
Ithaca, New York
Who We Are
The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) at Cornell embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students, faculty, and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented identities to apply.
CALS is a pioneer of purpose-driven science and Cornell University’s second-largest college. We work across disciplines to tackle the challenges of our time through world-renowned research, education, and outreach. The questions we probe and the answers we seek focus on three overlapping concerns: natural and human systems; food, energy, and environmental resources; and social, physical, and economic well-being.
Cornell Cooperative Extension (CCE) provides the educational outreach functions for Cornell University’s role as New York State’s Land Grant University. Pesticide Management Education Program (PMEP) promotes the proper use of pesticides for the applicator, the consumer, and the environment, and also serves as a pesticide information/education center for those interested in pesticide chemicals.
What You Will Do
You will lead the planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of innovative, high-quality statewide extension educational programs and materials that address New York State pesticide safety training and outreach needs. Assist the Director in evaluating program effectiveness and developing future initiatives, outreach, and programming that meets the needs of New York State residents and applicators. Additionally, you will serve as a program specialist and expert on pesticide safety, registration, regulation, and proper use. Other responsibilities include:
- Serve as managing editor and chief compliance reviewer for the annual Cornell Crop and Pest Management Guidelines series.
- Communicate evaluation results, findings, and recommendations to CCE-PSEP team members, stakeholders, and partners as appropriate.
- Identify, synthesize, and communicate technical and legal information to various stakeholders.
- Actively seek appropriate funding sources to enhance and extend program opportunities
- Provide leadership in planning and implementing outreach and education events, promotional activities, and workshops.
- Serve as project leader and overall administrator for Distance Learning Center.
- Manage the financial aspects of the Distance Learning Center courses.
- Collaborate and/or consult with various stakeholders in developing pesticide education programs and materials.
- Prepare reports and impact statements on program progress and accomplishments as needed.
What We Need
We are looking for an individual who excels at building relationships with multiple stakeholders to implement and evaluate innovative pesticide safety extension education programs and educational materials for pesticide applicators and New York State residents. We need someone who is self-motivated and has strong customer service skills with a focus on excellence. Additionally, we need someone who has:
- Master’s degree focused on pesticide safety education.
- 8+ more years of relevant work experience in a pesticide-related field.
- 5+ years of experience in writing and editing technical documents.
- Prior experience in extension education, including knowledge of the philosophy, objectives, and operation of an informal education system such as Cornell Cooperative Extension.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated skill and expertise in developing written education materials and conducting in-person and virtual presentations.
- Ability to build and maintain collaborative projects and professional relationships with CCE-PSEP partners, internal and external to Cornell.
- Strong interpersonal skills with proven ability to work with diverse audiences in group and one-on-one settings; work effectively with advisory boards and committees, community and funding partners.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team setting.
- Ability to accurately interpret and effectively communicate complex technical and legal information/extension-related knowledge for pesticide applicators and the public.
- Working expertise in current federal and New York State pesticide laws and regulations.
- Proven ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with tact and diplomacy.
- Proven ability to teach basic pesticide awareness principles to the public.
- In-depth knowledge and appreciation of where pesticides fit within a broader context, such as agricultural production, Integrated Pest Management (IPM), or the pest control industry. In-depth knowledge of current and emerging issues related to pesticide application and pesticide safety.
- Ability to work across all sectors pertinent to CCE-PSEP’s mission, including researchers, the public, industry, and government agencies.
- Experience successfully supporting program funding by pursuing grants and sponsorships, or incorporating cost-recovery into educational program initiatives.
- Demonstrated expertise in managing multiple projects simultaneously to meet deadlines.
- Detailed-oriented; proven organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to change program objectives as needed.
- Excellent computer competence, including fluency in Microsoft Oﬃce (including advanced editing capabilities of Microsoft Word), Moodle, Share Point, and online video conferencing systems such as Zoom.
- Familiarity with Learning Management Systems (LMS) and their role in pesticide safety education.
- Experience working with information technology staff to help support and maintain programming.
- Must hold and maintain New York State pesticide applicator certification or be able to obtain certification within one year of hire.
- Must be able to meet the travel requirements of the position, and have reliable transportation as well as have and maintain a valid and unrestricted New York State driver’s license.
- Proven, consistent dedication to treating every constituent and colleague with equity, respect, and empathy.
If you possess these experiences and skills, this may be the role for you! There are a few other qualifications that we would view as incredibly helpful in this role, including:
- Ph.D. degree focused on pesticide safety education.
- 10+ years of relevant work experience in a pesticide-related extension position.
- 8+ years of experience editing, authoring, and publishing pesticide-related extension materials.
- 5+ years of experience using learning management and video conferencing systems.
- Advanced knowledge of federal and New York State State pesticide laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of agricultural pesticide application equipment and its function.
- Expert in developing live and self-paced online pesticide applicator recertification or certification trainings.
- Adept at securing accreditation across multiple states.
- Experience promoting pesticide safety by fostering strong collaborations with Cornell Cooperative Extension Educators, Cornell researchers, federal and state regulators, and industry.
- Proven ability to develop accessible extension resources and to incorporate active learning into extension outreach activities.
In order to be considered for an appointment as a Senior Extension Associate, the minimum requirement includes a Master’s degree with 8+ years of experience; however, a Ph.D. is preferred.
This position is full-time and will be located in Ithaca, New York. This is a five-year appointment with possible extension depending on funding and performance.
Rewards and Benefits
We hope you appreciate great benefits. Cornell receives national recognition as an award-winning workplace for our health, well-being, sustainability, and diversity initiatives.
- Salary is based upon experience/qualifications and is within the following range: $87,100 to $110,000.
- Cornell has a comprehensive total rewards program that offers several benefits options to meet your needs. More information on our wonderful programs can be found at https://hr.cornell.edu/jobs/your-total-rewards .
Please apply via Academic Jobs Online (https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/24158 ).
Qualified candidates should submit a short cover letter, curriculum vitae, contact information for three references, and a statement of contribution to diversity, equity, and inclusion via the website.
Applications must be submitted by January 23, 2023.
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students, and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery, and engagement. Located in Ithaca, New York, Cornell's far-flung global presence includes the medical college's campuses on the Upper East Side of Manhattan and Doha, Qatar, as well as the new Cornell Tech campus to be built on Roosevelt Island in the heart of New York City.
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University’s heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
As part of the university's comprehensive vaccination program , all Cornell employees are required to have and provide proof of an FDA-or WHO-authorized or approved COVID-19 primary vaccination or have obtained a university-approved disability/medical or religious exemption, regardless of their role and work location.
For general questions about the position or the application process, please contact the Recruiter listed in the job posting or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
If you require an accommodation for a disability in order to complete an employment application or to participate in the recruiting process, you are encouraged to contact Cornell University's Office of Institutional Equity and Title IX at voice (607) 255-2242, or email at email@example.com .
Applicants that do not have internet access are encouraged to visit your local library, or local Department of Labor. You may also visit the office of Workforce Recruitment and Retention Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. to use a dedicated workstation to complete an online application.
Notice to Applicants:
Please read the required Notice to Applicants statement by clicking here . This notice contains important information about applying for a position at Cornell as well as some of your rights and responsibilities as an applicant.
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University’s heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities. We also recognize a lawful preference in employment practices for Native Americans living on or near Indian reservations. Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students, and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose, and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery, and engagement.
Viticulture Extension Educator (Cornell Cooperative Extension); Mid Hudson Valley, New York, Cornell Cooperative Extension, United States, about 4 hours ago
Position ID:Cornell -Cornell Cooperative Extension -VITICULTUREEXTENSIONEDUCATOR [#24611, WDR-000] Position Title: Position Type:Other Position Location:Hudson Falls, New York 12839, United State...
Dairy Management Specialist (Cornell Cooperative Extension); Central New York, Cornell Cooperative Extension, United States, about 4 hours ago
Position ID:Cornell -Cornell Cooperative Extension -DAIRYMANAGEMENT [#24520, WDR-00036004] Position Title: Position Type:Other Position Location:Herkimer, New York 13350, United States [map ] Sub...
Climate Jobs Institute, Research & Policy Development Associate Hybrid, Climate Jobs Institute, United States, about 4 hours ago
Position ID:Cornell -Climate Jobs Institute -CJIRPDA [#24623, WDR-00036278] Position Title: Position Type:Non tenure-track faculty Position Location:New York, New York 10022, United States [map ]...
Lecturer, Senior Lecturer Or Professor Of Practice – Management & Organizations Entrepreneurship And Innovation, College of Business, United States, about 4 hours ago
Position ID:Cornell -College of Business -2223_D_MO_RTE [#24629, WDR-000] Position Title: Position Type:Non tenure-track faculty Position Location:Ithaca, New York 14850, United States [map ] Sub...
Research Associate Cornell Tree Ring Laboratory, Department of Classics, United States, about 4 hours ago
Position ID:Cornell -Classics -RA [#24523, WDR-00036060] Position Title: Position Type:Non tenure-track faculty Position Location:Ithaca, New York 14853, United States [map ] Subject Area: Dendro...
Govt Visiting Assistant Professor, Government Department, United States, 14 days ago
Position ID:Cornell -Government Department -VAP1 [#24537, WDR-00036062] Position Title: Position Type:Non tenure-track faculty Position Location:Ithaca, New York 14853, United States [map ] Subje...