Screen reader users may encounter difficulty with this site. For assistance with applying, please contact [email protected] . If you have questions while submitting an application, please review these frequently asked questions .
Current Employees and Students:
If you are currently employed or enrolled as a student at The Ohio State University, please log in to Workday to use the internal application process.
Welcome to The Ohio State University's career site. We invite you to apply to positions of interest. In order to ensure your application is complete, you must complete the following:
- Ensure you have all necessary documents available when starting the application process. You can review the additional job description section on postings for documents that may be required.
- Prior to submitting your application, please review and update (if necessary) the information in your candidate profile as it will transfer to your application.
Patient Care Associate - Spielman Comprehensive Breast Center - Oncology Rehabilitation
James | SSCBC Oncology Rehabilitation
The Ohio State University Medical Center is committed to enhancing the quality of care provided to patients. The therapy aide is a team member responsible for assisting staff physical/occupational therapists in their treatment of assigned patients. All patient care duties performed require supervision by a therapist. The therapy aide is a member of the Rehabilitation department and is an important assistive component of the interdisciplinary medical team that strives to return the patient to his/her highest level of functional independence.
The Patient Care Associate (PCA) functions as an integral member of a team of care providers who reflect a culture of multi-discipline teamwork, cooperation, enthusiasm, and mutual respect. Patients and their family will experience the benefits of patient focused care through the integrated skills of all care team members.
The PCA is responsible for providing customer focused safe patient care and comfort measures throughout the patient's clinic appointment from arrival through discharge. The PCA facilitates movement of patients through their clinic visit by performing vital signs, heights and weights, initial screening of patients, phlebotomy, blood glucose monitoring, set up and/or assisting in clinic procedures, cost consciously ordering supplies and stocking exam rooms, maintaining patients’ medical records, transporting patients, performing maintenance and cleaning of medical equipment to include high level disinfection and sterilization, and processing paperwork as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities
55% of time
Collaborates with the Physical Therapists and other members of the patient care team in documenting and providing patient care.
- Provides basic nursing care activities such as vital signs, weights, intake and output, patient hygiene measures, patient comfort measures, collection of specimens, bioimpedance measurements.
- Assists Physical Therapists with patient throughput, including assistance with diagnostic testing and treatment as appropriate. Tasks delegated by PT
- Observes, reports and records signs and symptoms, as well as other factors pertinent to the patients condition and compliance with prescribed therapies
- Answers IHIS messages, phone messages and forwards to appropriate therapist
- Reports/intervenes on patients comfort
- Assists patient with mobility activities such as ambulation, transfers and use of assistive devices
- Operates patient equipment such as specialty exam tables, cleans and assembles instruments
- Maintains universal precautions and infection control procedures
- Reinforces patient teaching
- Documents care given; reports changes in patient condition to the responsible staff member
- Works with team to deliver appropriate nursing care in emergency situations, including implementing cardiopulmonary resuscitation, assisting with Code Blue and life safety readiness, notifying physicians and transferring the patient to the appropriate destination following the code
30% of the time
Participates with patient care team in specialized patient care activities
- Performs Electrocardiogram (ECGs)
- Performs simple dressings utilizing surgical asepsis, assisting licensed care givers with complex wound dressings
- Collects specimens, including using phlebotomy techniques
- Provides basic pulmonary care/set up suction equipment
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation
- Coordinates needs for communication between medical team, PT team, and vendors for equipment/prescription/information requests.
- Provides phlebotomy services
- Carries out simple recommendations from Physical & Occupational Therapy, as directed from the professional to the PCA, including, but not limited to:
- Simple range of motion; simple transfer training, simple gait training; follow up techniques for regaining swallowing; use of alternative communication methods; reinforcement of restoration of Activities of Daily Living (ADLs)
5% of the time
Participates with team in quality assessment and improvement activities
- Identifies opportunities for improvement for patient care and organizational processes
- Attends staff meetings
- Maintain adequate communication (emails, meetings).
- Contributes to performance improvement of the Medical Center, the unit, and the patient care team:
Quality measures include: Patient satisfaction
Observation and reporting of patient outcomes
Cost of unit supplies
Adheres to and practices within The Ohio State University Medical Center's policies and procedures, including the organization’s compliance program, dress code and attendance policies; embraces the Intensive Caring Values, OSUMC’s Mission, Vision, and Values, and department’s standards of practice as demonstrated through positive patient/guest relations, positive and effective interactions with staff, and formulating and achieving goals consistent with Key Results Areas; practices within the parameters of respective licensures, certifications, and/or credentials; complies and ensures adherence to infection control standards, implementing patient safety protocols as necessary; maintains confidentiality of sensitive information
For Hire: High School Graduate or GED certificate required. One year of experience as a hospital aide, EMT certification, completion of a military corpsman training program with direct patient care experience required or successful completion of PCA training course required. Experience in an acute care environment preferred.
Ongoing: Demonstrated competence to meet essential job functions. Maintains knowledge related to patient care issues, quality improvement, cost reduction and current policies, procedures and protocols.
Patient Population Served
Knowledge of growth and development and an understanding of the range of treatments necessary to meet the age specific needs of the patient population served. (Check those that apply):
Not Applicable: Non-patient care title
Adolescents (14 - 17 years)
Neonates (0 - 6 months)
Adults (18 - 64 years)
Children (7 months - 13 years)
Geriatrics (65 + years)
Spielman Comprehensive Breast Center (0874)
Final candidates are subject to successful completion of a background check. A drug screen or physical may be required during the post offer process.
Thank you for your interest in positions at The Ohio State University and Wexner Medical Center. Once you have applied, the most updated information on the status of your application can be found by visiting the Candidate Home section of this site. Please view your submitted applications by logging in and reviewing your status. For answers to additional questions please review the frequently asked questions .
The Ohio State University is an equal opportunity employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, genetic information, HIV/AIDS status, military status, national origin, race, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, protected veteran status, or any other basis under the law.
Applicants are encouraged to complete and submit the Equal Employment Identification form.
Advanced Practice Registered Nurse, Florida Gulf Coast University, United States, about 6 hours ago
Job Summary The Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) provides psychiatry services to eligible students, including psychiatric evaluations and follow-up psychiatry appointments, either autonom...
Director Of Communication Center, Case Western Reserve University, United States, about 10 hours ago
POSITION OBJECTIVE Manage all aspects of the dispatch and closed circuit television (CCTV) operations. This includes personnel and technology associated with dispatch operations, alarm monitoring,...
Assistant Teaching Professor School Of Nursing, Bowling Green State University, United States, about 15 hours ago
Summary Bowling Green State University (BGSU) is seeking applicants for a 12-month non-tenure track position as a faculty member of the BSN program at the Assistant or Associate Teaching Professor...
Associate Director, Community Health Programs, Case Western Reserve University, United States, about 10 hours ago
POSITION OBJECTIVE Established in 2012, the School of Medicine’s Community Health Programs (CHP) focus on leading efforts to improve health care and eliminate health disparities for underserved an...
Communication Strategist, Bowling Green State University, United States, about 15 hours ago
Summary The Communications Strategist position assists campus partners in creating targeted marketing and communication campaigns that achieve University-set objectives and outcomes, including stu...
Administrative Director, Physician Assistant Program, Case Western Reserve University, United States, about 9 hours ago
POSITION OBJECTIVE The Administrative Director is responsible for managing the Physician Assistant Program in the School of Medicine, is a central position in the leadership team, and will serve a...