Booth Facilities 1
About the Department
The University of Chicago Booth School of Business is the second-oldest business school in the U.S. and second to none when it comes to influencing business education and business practices. Since 1898, the school has produced ideas and leaders that shape the world of business. Their rigorous, discipline-based approach to business education transforms students into confident, effective, respected business leaders prepared to face the toughest challenges. Chicago Booth has the finest set of facilities of any business school in the world. Each of the four campuses (two in Chicago, one in London, and one in Hong Kong) reflects the architectural traditions of its environs while offering a state-of-the-art learning environment. Chicago Booth is proud to claim: -an unmatched faculty. -degree and open enrollment programs offered on three continents. -a global body of nearly 54,000 accomplished alumni. - strong and growing corporate relationships that provide a wealth of lifelong career opportunities. As part of the world-renowned University of Chicago, Chicago Booth shares the University's core values that shape the distinctive intellectual culture. At Booth, they constantly question and test ideas, and seek proof. This extraordinarily effective approach to business leads to new ideas and innovative solutions. Seven of the Booth faculty members have won Nobel Prizes for these ideas - the first business school to achieve this accomplishment. For more information about the University of Chicago Booth School of Business, please visit: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/.
Operates, installs, maintains, and repairs building equipment and systems. Performs work in accordance with University standards and procedures for University buildings and properties. This position works 1:00pm-9:00pm, Monday-Friday.
- Inspects and tests building systems and equipment.
- Troubleshoots equipment and identifies and solves problems.
- Dismantles defective equipment and installs new or repaired parts.
- Performs preventive maintenance on HVAC equipment including cleaning and lubricating shafts, bearings, gears, and other parts of equipment.
- Interprets building and equipment documentation to troubleshoot and make repairs.
- Installs, repairs, and verifies proper operation of building systems and equipment.
- Lays out, assembles, installs, and maintains pipe systems and related pneumatic equipment; repair and replace gauges, valves, pressure regulators, and related equipment.
- Installs and verifies operation of basic systems such as HVAC and Refrigeration systems, plumbing-sinks, faucets, toilets, electrical-circuit breakers, light bulb and ballast changes.
- Uses appropriate tools and equipment.
- Helps introduce new employees to shop protocol, procedures and campus applications and equipment.
- Requisitions materials and supplies using in-house procedures as needed. Keeps working area clean and safe.
- Wears and/or uses appropriate safety equipment.
- Uses computers to enter and access job related information.
- Undertakes training related to job duties as deemed necessary by the University.
- Handles emergency calls as directed during the day and after hours.
- Assists with providing engineering coverage for events when needed or requested.
- Performs related job duties as may be assigned.
- Read and interpret documents.
- Communicate effectively in English both orally and in writing.
- Perform mathematical functions relevant to the position.
- Problem solve.
Education, Experience, or Certifications:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
- Advanced job-related training program in air conditioning and refrigeration required.
- Completion of HVAC apprenticeship program preferred.
- Completion of job-related associate’s degree (AA) preferred.
- A minimum of four years of related experience and/or trade school training.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Current valid driver's license, other licenses or certificates needed for this position as required by law required.
- EPA Universal Certification.
- Certification as a Universal Technician for CFC’s or within 90 days of employment.
- City of Chicago Stationary Engineer License.
- Membership in the IUOE Local 399 is required within 60 days of employment start date.
Technical Knowledge or Skills:
- Demonstrated ability to access computer programs and use or learn basic computer operations related to position requirements.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Schedule is 7:00am-3:30pm, Tuesday-Saturday.
- Mechanical aptitude, manual dexterity and physically capable of strenuous activity over extended periods of time required.
- Lift and move loads appropriate to job requirements and bend and work in a kneeling position for periods of time required.
- Climb stairs and ladders and work at heights as required.
- Enter and work within tight spaces, and withstand hot and cold temperatures required.
- Work independently.
- $46.47 per hour.
- Cover Letter
When applying, the document(s) MUST be uploaded via the My Experience page, in the section titled Application Documents of the application.
Requires Compliance with University Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement
Please refer to Additional Requirements to see the pay ranges
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Local #399 Intl Union of Operating Engr AFL-CIO
Job is Exempt
Drug Test Required
Motor Vehicle Record Inquiry Required
Health Screen Required
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity /Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
We seek a diverse pool of applicants who wish to join an academic community that places the highest value on rigorous inquiry and encourages a diversity of perspectives, experiences, groups of individuals, and ideas to inform and stimulate intellectual challenge, engagement, and exchange.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes a review of conviction history. A conviction does not automatically preclude University employment. Rather, the University considers conviction information on a case-by-case basis and assesses the nature of the offense, the circumstances surrounding it, the proximity in time of the conviction, and its relevance to the position.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu . Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
Principal Platform Engineers, University of Chicago (UC), United States, 23 days ago
Details Posted: 07-Sep-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Other Staff/Administrative Staff/Administrative Internal Number: JR23772 Location: Chicago, IL Job De...
Research Specialist 2, University of Chicago (UC), United States, 21 days ago
Details Posted: 09-Sep-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Research - Laboratory/Non-Laboratory Staff/Administrative Internal Number: JR20116 Location: Chicago,...
School Of Law, Assistant Professor Of Constitutional Law Tenure Track, Loyola University Chicago, United States, about 23 hours ago
Details Posted: 30-Sep-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Salary: Open Categories: Academic/Faculty Legal Studies Internal Number: 26344 Job Description Summary: Loyola University Chicago School of La...
Clinical Research Coordinator 1, University of Chicago (UC), United States, 18 days ago
Details Posted: 13-Sep-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Research - Laboratory/Non-Laboratory Staff/Administrative Internal Number: JR23829 Location: Chicago,...
Business Coordinator, University of Chicago (UC), United States, about 1 month ago
Details Posted: 31-Aug-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Other Staff/Administrative Staff/Administrative Internal Number: JR23672 Location: Chicago, IL Job De...
Lab Coordinator, University of Chicago (UC), United States, 17 days ago
Details Posted: 14-Sep-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Research - Laboratory/Non-Laboratory Staff/Administrative Internal Number: JR23753 Location: Chicago,...