Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
The Institute of Politics and Public Service (GU Politics) at Georgetown’s McCourt School of Public Policy is a non- academic program established to better connect students with the political process and empower them to make it work better. Driven by a belief that better understanding can lead to more civil and productive politics, GU Politics offers a series of programs focused on practical and applied politics that offer students opportunities to directly engage with leading members of the political, governmental, journalism, and advocacy communities.
The Office Manager provides support for the McCourt School’s Institute of Politics and Public Service. S/he plays an important role in the successful operations of GU Politics, serving as the key resource person for the Executive Director (Director), Chief of Staff, and other staff members. The incumbent coordinates activities on the Director and Chief of Staff’s behalf, acting as a liaison to other offices across campus, and overseeing administrative support to the Director. Managing up to two student assistants each semester, the Office Manager has additional duties that include but are not limited to:
- Resolves, researches, assesses, and refers problems, often of a sensitive or confidential nature.
- Exercises independent judgment in bringing information and issues relating to the affairs of GU Politics to the attention of the Director or Chief of Staff, defining problems independently, conducting research as necessary, formulating solutions, and making recommendations.
- Independently responds to requests and inquiries from faculty, fellows, staff, and students regarding GU Politics procedures.
- Provides analytical and administrative support to the Chief of Staff on a variety of issues, projects, and programs, compiling data, soliciting, and researching information from a variety of sources both on and off campus.
- Prepares detailed briefing materials for the Director or Chief of Staff prior to meeting and provides pertinent facts, data, and other background information for meetings, reports, inquiries, agendas, and presentations.
- Keeps updated contact information of all relevant stakeholders.
- Exercises judgment and independent initiative, handling time sensitive matters that require concise problem-solving and confidentiality.
- Coordinates arrangements for the Director's special events, including luncheons, receptions, and dinners, on and off campus.
- Manages the operation of the GU Politics Office and the Director’s time.
- Prioritizes and schedules appointments for the Director’s calendar, independently determining the importance of requested meetings and coordinating calendars to accommodate the needs of the Director.
- Coordinates complex schedules and handles all aspects of Director’s travel, including the preparation and submission of settlement reports.
- Handles office expense reconciliation.
- Manages general communications between the GU Politics office and the McCourt School’s Office of the Dean.
- Reviews all incoming Director’s correspondence, drafting correspondence on behalf of the Director.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience in office administration, business administration, communications or a related field
- Candidates with experience in the fields of politics, government, media or advocacy preferred
- A strong interest in those fields is helpful
- Occasional evening work staffing GU Politics events may be required
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu ) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or email@example.com .
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website .
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law .
Georgetown University offers a wide variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits packages include comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance coverage, retirement savings programs, tuition assistance, voluntary insurance options (including group legal, accident, and critical illness), and much more. Whatever your need, the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits will be standing by to support you. You can learn more about the benefits offered to eligible faculty and staff at https://benefits.georgetown.edu or view the online interactive benefits guide for more information.
Tenure Track Assistant/Associate Professor In Public Management, McCourt School of Public Policy, United States, about 22 hours ago
Position ID:Georgetown -McCourt -PUBMANPROF [#14127] Position Title: Position Type:Tenured/Tenure-track faculty Position Location:Washington, District of Columbia 20057, United States [map ] Subj...
Tenure Track Faculty In Ethics And Public Policy, McCourt School of Public Policy, United States, about 22 hours ago
Position ID:Georgetown -McCourt -ETHICS [#14167] Position Title: Position Location:Washington, District of Columbia 20057, United States [map ] Subject Areas: Public Policy Ethics Appl Deadline:2...
Assistant Professor Of Political Economy Or Business Economics, With A Regional Focus On Europe, Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, United States, about 22 hours ago
Position ID:Georgetown -SFS -CGES [#14205] Position Title: Position Type:Tenured/Tenure-track faculty Position Location:Washington, District of Columbia 20057, United States [map ] Subject Areas:...
Assistant Director For Admissions And Financial Aid, University of Maryland, United States, about 7 hours ago
Posting Details Posting Details Position Number: 109032 Title: Assistant Director Functional Title: Assistant Director for Admissions and Financial Aid Category Status: 33-Exempt Regular Applicant...
International Development Project Associate, American Institutes for Research, United States, about 22 hours ago
American Institutes for Research (AIR) is a US-based not-for-profit company specializing in education programming, educational assessment, and other social policy issues. AIR’s International Devel...
Major Gifts Officer, Wamu (7333), American University, United States, about 20 hours ago
Summary/Objective The Major Gifts Officer (MGO) position at WAMU 88.5 manages a portfolio of approximately 150 assigned and qualified donors, cultivating relationships, soliciting high-level gifts...