The Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is a world-class fusion energy research laboratory managed by Princeton University for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. PPPL is dedicated to developing the scientific and technological knowledge base for fusion energy. The Laboratory advances the fields of fusion energy and plasma physics research to develop the scientific understanding and key innovations needed to realize fusion as an energy source for the world.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director of Human Resources (EDHR), the primary focus of this role is to provide high level assistance to the EDHR, and secondarily, to support the operations of the Office of Human Resources, collaborating with other HR team members, as needed.
This position uses complex decision-making skills and discretion to prioritize and execute all administrative tasks in a manner that results in a highly efficient and productive office environment, through the use of technology and processes that support PPPL’s mission and goals. This is a small dynamic and tight-knit team that works together to accomplish continuous improvements while maintaining excellence in operations.
The ideal candidate for this position would be self-motivated, highly organized, intelligent, and excited to be in a position that has direct impact to the success of PPPL’s mission, and the PPPL work culture.
Duties include organizing complex schedule and calendar; identifying and compiling materials for meetings and reports, often of confidential and sensitive nature; prioritizing incoming materials and requests; drafting correspondence and serving as a primary resource to other external offices, such as the Department of Energy, Princeton University and other stakeholders.
- Anticipates Executive’s needs and proactively brings together appropriate people and other resources to support the EDHR in addressing issues.
- Organizes the EDHR’s complex schedule, scheduling zoom meetings and utilizing the Google Suite to streamline operations.
- Triage HR email and voicemails; review and prioritizes screening of the EDHR’s mail, email, voicemail and appointments using expert judgment, knowledge and discretion; maintaining a high-level of confidentially and trust is critical to success in this role.
- Drafts, edits and distributes complex and highly sensitive correspondence; this may include formal or confidential communications with the Department of Energy (DOE) or the University, and broad messaging to supervisors or staff, and the external community.
- Responsible for correspondence, facilities arrangement, and set-up for HR departmental training, meetings and conferences. Task may include the preparation of materials for meetings, conferences or presentations.
- Proactively ensures information for upcoming meetings is prepared; may draft agendas and track deliverables of HR team.
- Department Purchasing Card (P-Card) holder; purchases items such as office supplies, computing equipment and other items, as needed. For larger purchases, work with Subject Matter Experts to draft and submit requisitions in the Procurement System, and coordinate processing to closure.
- Maintains electronic records and files for the EDHR.
- Manages department meetings and special event planning and coordination including, but not limited to meeting minutes, agendas, correspondence, facilities arrangement, set-up and staffing.
- Proofread and edit documents.
- Plan and coordinate travel arrangements for the EDHR and draft itineraries (light travel). Maintain and reconciles Concur for travel requests and reimbursements, as needed.
Education and Experience:
- An associate degree, or equivalent experience, with a minimum of three years of progressive responsibility and administrative experience, preferably in a staff or customer-facing environment. Experience at executive or C-suite level administrative support highly desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated organizational and time-management skills, with the ability to multitask and prioritize competing and a high-volume of tasks under tight deadlines. Ability to maintain composure and possess a natural, yet professional ease while working through a stressful or emergency situation.
- Supports a dynamic team and interacts professionally, effectively and cordially with staff, supervisors and contractors at all levels, requiring considerable discretion and initiative. Requires excellent judgment using the utmost discretion in handling sensitive and confidential matters.
- Solid written and excellent interpersonal skills a must, including customer service capabilities and a high degree of professionalism, flexibility, and patience. Demonstrates ability to handle in-person and digital correspondence, in a professional and courteous manner, with all levels of the organization.
- Must be detail-oriented and organized, with exceptional follow-through and analytical skills.
- Strong knowledge and functional command of Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint as well as the Google Suite of tools.
- Must demonstrate expertise in written, interpersonal, and verbal communications skills including competency in written grammar, punctuation and vocabulary. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proven project and process management skills and a demonstrated track record of delivering results.
- Strong business acumen, analytical and project management skills.
- Ability to work in a diverse and fast paced environment.
- Self-motivated and proactive thinker.
- Sense of humor appreciated, quick thinking and approachable nature needed.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from participation in certain foreign government talent recruitment programs. All PPPL employees are required to disclose any participation in a foreign government talent recruitment program and may be required to withdraw from such programs to remain employed under the DOE Contract.
Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are, therefore, unable or limited in your ability to use or access this system, you can request a reasonable accommodation by contacting PPPL's Office of Human Resources at Onboarding@pppl.gov .
Princeton University-Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory (PPPL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Princeton University-PPPL job offers are contingent upon the candidate’s successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate’s current employment status with Princeton University-PPPL. PPPL is an E-Verify employer. All PPPL staff must be able to demonstrate their legal right to work in the United States.
PPPL is a U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) national laboratory managed by Princeton University. The DOE prohibits DOE employees and contractors from participation in certain foreign government talent recruitment programs. All PPPL employees are required to disclose any participation in a foreign government talent recruitment program and may be required to withdraw from such programs to remain employed under the DOE Contract.
Princeton University-PPPL is a residential community and an employer that operates continuously 24 hours a day. Essential services employees perform jobs that are necessary and required to maintain basic University operations during scheduled closures or unscheduled suspension of normal operations due to emergencies, events, or other situations. Essential services employees may be asked and/or required to perform jobs or duties that fall outside of their normal job classification during an emergency event. Learn more about our Essential Services policy .
Go to Princeton University careers site.
Professor, Princeton University, United States, about 6 hours ago
Luisa and Robert Fernholz '62 Professorship in Mathematics The Department of Mathematics at Princeton University invites applications from accomplished scholars in any field of mathematics to be c...
Tenure Track Assistant Professor In Microbiome Bioinformatics, Rutgers University, United States, 13 minutes ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Tenure-Track Assistant Professor in Microbiome Bioinformatics Department RWJ-CABM Salary Commensurate With Experience Posting Summary The Center for Adva...
Resident Veterinarian, Rutgers University, United States, about 1 hour ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Resident Veterinarian Job Category Staff & Executive - Research (Laboratory/Non-Laboratory) Department ORAd-CMR Overview The Department of Comparative Me...
Energy Management Systems Manager, Rutgers University, United States, 21 minutes ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Energy Management Systems Manager Job Category Staff & Executive - Administrative & Support - Management Department IPO-Facilities Utilities Overview The...
Operating Engineer Iii (Multiple Vacancies), Rutgers University, United States, about 2 hours ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Operating Engineer III (Multiple Vacancies) Job Category Staff & Executive - Facilities/Environmental/Maintenance Department IPO-Facilities Utilities Ove...
Quality Control Player Development, Rutgers University, United States, 4 days ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Quality Control-Player Development Job Category Staff & Executive - Athletics Department Football Overview The Rutgers Division of Intercollegiate Athlet...