Campus: Downtown Phoenix
Office Asst/Receptionist Sr
The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication is seeking an Office Asst./Receptionist Sr. to serve as a receptionist in its Student Services office, greeting and directing students, faculty, staff and guests of the school. This position also answers telephone calls and emails and performs clerical duties. The position requires a high level of customer service, delivered in a personable and professional manner.
Clerical & Admin Support
Journalism & Mass Comm
VP/EXEC VICE PROV DPC
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
Depends on experience
- Serves as first point of contact for students, faculty, staff and guests.
- Coordinates the work of others and trains new employees.
- Provides general information in response to inquiries in person, by telephone or email; refers highly technical inquiries to appropriate work unit member.
- Reviews accounts, reports, records or other documents for completeness, accuracy and conformity within established procedures; collects data to maintain such records.
- Files and cross-indexes documents and correspondence alphabetically, numerically or by another prescribed method.
- Operates office equipment such as copiers, calculators, word processors, personal computers, typewriters, data terminals, microfilm equipment or other equipment found in work unit.
- Assembles and/or compiles a variety of data from office records for incorporation into reports; extracts and provides factual information using a variety of identifiable sources.
- Types/word processes correspondence, reports and similar materials from rough copy or drafts; composes standard correspondence.
- Performs arithmetic calculations and simple bookkeeping duties with speed and accuracy.
- Tracks and maintains records and status of processes used in department; follows up on processes or items as needed.
- Prepares work orders, supply requisitions, requests for special data or similar actions within established limits and procedures; obtains appropriate signatures.
- Supervises student workers who provide classroom and clerical support.
- Provides executive-level support, such as scheduling and maintaining calendars, arranging classroom visits and supporting search committees headed by the deans.
- Schedules meetings and professionally communicates logistics to stakeholders.
- Oversees other clerical duties, such as processing mail, making parking reservations, updating directories, and collecting documents as assigned.
- Performs special projects as assigned.
Two (2) years of office/clerical experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Demonstrated knowledge of general office procedures and practices.
- Experience in using basic arithmetic, grammar and spelling.
- Experience in following verbal and written instructions.
- Experience in general recordkeeping.
- Experience in the operation of a variety of office machines
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse.
- Required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work.
- Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds.
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities, which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts.
- Clearly communicate to perform essential function.
The Cronkite School is widely recognized as one of the nation’s premier journalism programs. Rooted in the time-honored values that characterize its namesake—accuracy, responsibility, objectivity, integrity—the school fosters journalistic excellence and ethics among students as they master the professional skills they need to succeed in the digital media world of today and tomorrow.
Located on ASU’s Downtown Phoenix campus in the heart of the nation’s fifth-largest city, the School has 70 full-time faculty members, more than 100 full-time professional staff and annual resources of more than $40 million.
Nearly 2,500 undergraduate, master’s and doctoral students are enrolled at Cronkite, preparing for careers in journalism, strategic media and related communications fields. Of the undergraduate residential student population, more than 60 percent come from out-of-state and more than 37 percent identify as students of color. The retention rate consistently exceeds 90 percent, and Cronkite students regularly lead the country in national journalism competitions.
The school champions a “teaching hospital” model of journalism education, for which it has received international acclaim. Cronkite offers 15 different full-immersion professional programs in which students work in intensive, real-world settings under the guidance of top-flight professionals and in collaboration with research faculty. The programs enable students to put into practice what they have learned in the classroom, producing news, information and community engagement on critical issues for the state, region and nation.
The Cronkite faculty is made up of award-winning professional journalists, strategic communications specialists and world-class media scholars. Cronkite professors include five Pulitzer Prize-winning journalists, digital media thought leaders, top TV producers and correspondents, major metropolitan newspaper editors and strategic communications experts.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU PD at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources .
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
Administrative Assistant Ii, The University of Arizona, United States, 17 days ago
Sign In Create Profile Administrative Assistant II St. Johns, AZ, United States | req14963 Apply Now Share Save Job Back to Search Administrative Assistant II Posting Number req14963 Department Ap...
Global Professor Of Practice, Law (Vietnam), The University of Arizona, United States, 25 days ago
Sign In Create Profile Global Professor of Practice, Law (Vietnam) Vietnam | req14667 Apply Now Share Save Job Back to Search Global Professor of Practice, Law (Vietnam) Posting Number req14667 De...
Systems Administrator Iv (Remote), The University of Arizona, United States, 4 days ago
Sign In Create Profile Systems Administrator IV (Remote) United States | req14624 Apply Now Share Save Job Back to Search Systems Administrator IV (Remote) Posting Number req14624 Department Infra...
Doctoral Student In Fire Safety, Lunds universitet, Sweden, 20 days ago
7 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Lunds universitet Department Lund University, Faculty of Engineering, Building & Environmental Technology Research Field Engineering Researcher Prof...
Science Lab Technician (Federal Work Study), Bellevue University, United States, about 11 hours ago
NOTE: The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work involved for this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required o...
Night Steward (Sessional), McGill University, Canada, 3 days ago
Please refer to the How to Apply for a Job (for External Candidates) job aid for instructions on how to apply. If you are an active McGill employee (ie: currently in an active contract or positio...