Apply now Job no:513191
Senior management: Senior VP & Chief Business Officer
Department: Environmental Health & Safety
The Occupational Safety Compliance Officer collaborates with the Occupational Safety Program Manager and the University Fire Safety Officer & Assistant Director of Occupational Health and Safety by performing comprehensive audits and inspections for compliance to over 20 different EHS programs and OSHA regulations. This includes those that are quite complex in nature, and where extensive knowledge of regulatory requirements is necessary to make judgement calls on research and development applications, which do not fall into the traditional implementation. Interviews, observes and investigates workplaces for hazard identification, evaluation of risk, and makes recommendations on engineering and administrative controls, and personal protective equipment.
• Bachelor’s degree in safety engineering, safety or related field or equivalent training and experience.
• Experience conducting inspections and interpreting and applying technical regulations and standards.
• Experience assessing risk and recommending corrective actions.
• Experience with developing and presenting educational/training programs for diverse populations.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and organize/prioritize assignments.
• Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse population and foster a collaborative work environment.
• Proficiency with standard computer functions such as word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail, and internet navigation.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Experience performing safety and health inspections and evaluations in a research and/or higher education work environment.
• Experience with performing complex programmatic audits and evaluations.
• Documentation of or ability to obtain designation as a Certified Safety Professional or similar designation.
• Experience in higher education or public sector work setting.
• Experience with OnSite Systems software for inspections management.
• Experience in a research and/or lab work environment.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.