Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 1,048 licensed inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 65 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; a separate hospital outpatient surgical department with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. For 2021-2022, U.S. News and World Report ranked Duke University Hospital nationally in 11 adult specialties: cancer, cardiology & heart surgery, diabetes & endocrinology, ear, nose & throat, gastroenterology & GI surgery, gynecology, neurology & neurosurgery, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology & lung surgery, and urology. Duke University Hospital is also ranked first in North Carolina and first in the Raleigh-Durham area.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
General Description of the Job Class
Coordinate and participate in a variety of technical tasks, tests and determinations involving the utilization of radioactive materials and measurement instrumentation.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Coordinate and participate in a variety of technical procedures to include in vivo and in vitro studies; operate radiation detection and measurement instrumentation including stationary imaging devices, scintillation gamma and apparatus for in vitro counting.
- Calibrate and draw up radiopharmaceutical materials for administration to patients; formulate radiopharmaceutical materials from pre-prepared kits. Calibrate instruments and review calibration data to detect trends indicating instrument malfunction. Calculate data to include results of patient studies and radioactive decay.
- Evaluate recorded images for technical quality.
- Process computerized image data to include function curves and reconstructed SPECT images.
- Assume care for physical and psychological needs of patient of all ages during an examination, initiates life support measures for patient, if necessary.
- Maintain inventory of supplies in assigned area; prepare and maintain records concerning radiopharmaceutical receiving, dispensing and disposal activities. Maintain records of order, including brachytherapy procedures, receipt and disposal of all radioactive material in the department.
- Provide instruction and technical guidance to radiologic technology students or other advanced imaging techs; assist in training new employees.
- Monitor Nuclear Medicine Department with portable survey meter for possible contamination.
- Performs EKG prep, tracing
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- Assist in the development and evaluation of new procedures and techniques to meet the needs of specific protocols as required: consult with physician concerning the application of nuclear medicine procedures and techniques.
- Administer thyroid therapy to patient that has undergone prior clinical and nuclear medicine diagnosis, insures decay of pharmaceutical and calculates for correct dosage in dose calibrator, observes patient dosage to insure proper treatment under direct supervision of radiologist.
- Assist in quality assurance program relating to calibration and maintenance of equipment.
- Assist with the education and training of new physicians (interns, residents, and fellows) as applicable. Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
*DUHS offers career growth and enrichment within Imaging services. There is a clinical ladder program with various steps and opportunities at each hospital within the health system.
Required Qualifications at this Level
Requires successful completion of an AMA approved Nuclear Medicine Technology training program.
None required beyond above education/certification requirements.
Level I must obtain ARRT or NMCTB certification within 12 months of employment.
Level II Minimum of two years' experience as a Nuclear Medicine technologist.
Level III A minimum of four years' experience within specialty modality in which they are seeking promotion
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
ARRT (N) certification and/or NMTCB certification within 12 months of employment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Ability to use office related computer software
Possess knowledge of radiation protection and safety
General computer knowledge
IV placement and management skills
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Zebrafish Research Technician 2, Duke University Medical Center, United States, 28 days ago
AgencyDuke University Medical CenterLocationDurham, NCJob CategoryFull time PositionsSalaryDOQLast Date to Apply05/30/2023Websitehttps://careers.duke.edu/job-invite/231973/ DescriptionWork Arrange...
Assistant Or Associate Professor, Environmental Justice, Nicholas School of the Environment - Faculty, United States, about 24 hours ago
Position ID:Duke -NSOEFaculty -EJ [#24884] Position Title: Position Type:Tenured/Tenure-track faculty Position Location:Durham, North Carolina 27708, United States [map ] Subject Areas: Environme...
Surgery Transplant Division Chief, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, United States, 4 days ago
Posting Information Posting Information Department Surgery - Transplant - 414035 Posting Open Date 05/18/2023 Application Deadline Open Until Filled No Position Type Permanent Faculty Working Titl...
Section Head, Archival Processing Section, Duke University Libraries, United States, about 24 hours ago
Position ID:Duke -DUL -APSH [#24906] Position Title: Position Type:Open Rank Position Location:Durham, North Carolina 27708, United States [map ] Subject Area: Library / Special Collections Sala...
Electric Distribution Systems (Eds) Engineering Technician, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, United States, 4 days ago
Posting Information Posting Information Department ES EDS-227210 Career Area Engineering and Architecture Is this an internal only recruitment? No Posting Open Date 05/17/2023 Application Deadline...
Assistant Professor, AcademicJobsOnline.Org, United States, about 24 hours ago
Position ID:Duke -Humanities and Interpretive Social Sciences -ASSTPROF1 [#24832, 1543] Position Title: Position Type:Tenured/Tenure-track faculty Position Location:Durham, North Carolina 27708, ...