A postdoctoral fellowship in the field of medicinal chemistry is immediately available to carry out structure-based drug design and hit-to-lead optimization on several promising hits against polo-like kinase 1 (Plk1). Plk1 is an attractive anti-cancer therapeutic target, whose upregulated activity is tightly associated with aggressiveness and poor prognosis for a wide spectrum of human cancers. We performed high throughput screening campaigns at the at the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS) (https://ncats.nih.gov/ ), and isolated a new class of several anti-Plk1 small molecule compounds, whose cocrystal structures have been determined lately. In an effort to discover novel Plk1-targeted anti-cancer therapeutic agents, we have developed an NCI's multifaceted collaboration project by bringing together various expertise, including medicinal chemistry optimization, X-ray crystallography, in silico modeling, pharmacokinetics/pharmacodynamics, and mouse tumorigenesis studies. Once appointed, the fellow will primarily work in the synthetic chemistry lab at NCATS under the direct guidance of Dr. David Maloney (https://ncats.nih.gov/staff/maloneyd ), the medicinal chemistry leader at NCATS, and Dr. Kyung Lee (https://ccr.cancer.gov/Laboratory-of-Metabolism/kyung-s-lee ) in the Laboratory of Metabolism, NCI, and will have an opportunity to interact with other collaboration teams involved in this interdisciplinary project.
Applicants should have (or expected to receive) a Ph.D. or its equivalent at the time of joining the lab or have achieved the degree less than 3 years ago. Fellows who have an expertise in medicinal chemistry optimization of small molecule inhibitors or X-ray crystallography are encouraged to apply. Salary starts at $51,900 with full health insurance for fellows with no prior postdoctoral training.
Please send CV and three names of references to Dr. Kyung Lee (firstname.lastname@example.org )
1) Yun, S. -M. et al., 2009. Structural and functional analyses of minimal phosphopeptides targeting the polo-box domain of polo-like kinase 1. Nat. Str. & Mol. Biol. 16:876.
2) Liu, F. et al., 2011. Serendipitous alkylation of a Plk1 ligand uncovers a new binding channel. Nat. Chem. Biol. 7:595.
3) Liu, F. et al., 2012. Identification of high affinity polo-like kinase 1 (Plk1) polo-box domain binding peptides using Oxime-based diversification. ACS Chem. Biol. 7:805.
4) Liu, F. et al., 2012. Peptoid-peptide hybrid ligands targeting the polo-box domain of polo-like kinase 1. Chembiochem. 13:1291.
5) Qian W. -J. et al., 2012. Non-proteinogenic amino acids in the pThr-2 position of a pentamer peptide that confer high binding affinity for the polo-box domain (PBD) of polo-like kinase 1 (Plk1). Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 22:7306.
6) Qian, W. -J. et al., 2013. Effects on Polo-like Kinase 1 Polo-box Domain Binding Affinities of Peptides Incurred by Structural Variation at the Phosphoamino Acid Position. Bioorg. & Med. Chem. 21: 3996.
7) Qian, W. -J. et al., 2014. Mono-anionic phosphopeptides produced by unexpected histidine alkylation exhibit high Plk1 polo-box domain-binding affinities and enhanced antiproliferative effects in HeLa cells. Biopolymers 102:444.
8) Qian, W. -J. et al., 2015. Neighbor-directed Histidine N(τ)-Alkylation: A Route to Imidazolium-containing Phosphopeptide Macrocycles. Biopolymers, 104:663
9) Lee, K. S. et al., 2015. Recent advances and new strategies in targeting Plk1 for anticancer therapy. Trends in Pharmacological Sciences. 36:858 (review).
This position is subject to a background investigation. The NIH is dedicated to building a diverse community in its training and employment programs.
Postdoctoral Fellow Position, Technische Universität München, Germany, about 7 hours ago
31.07.2017, Wissenschaftliches Personal The Institute of Molecular Immunology at Technische Universität München is seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow (TVL-E13) placed within a CRC project together with...
Postdoctoral Research Scientist, Columbia University, United States, about 8 hours ago
Requisition Number: 0007954 Field(s) of Specialization: Position Title: Postdoctoral Research Scientist Department: 7538- PAT Pathology Department Number: 7538 Location: Medical Center Summary Des...
] Postdoctoral Associate, , United States, 4 days ago
The Silver lab at Duke University School of Medicine seeks a highly motivated postdoctoral research fellow to investigate genetic and viral causes of microcephaly. The successful applicant will ha...
Postdoc In Chromatin Replication And Genome Stability In The Groth Group At Bric, University Of Copenhagen, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 15 hours ago
We seek a highly motivated and independent candidate with expertise in genome instability to work on the role of histone H4 lysing 20 in guiding DNA repair pathway choice. Our research/The group O...
Post Doctoral Associate, University of Massachusetts Medical School, United States, about 21 hours ago
A postdoctoral position is available in the Schiffer laboratory at UMass Medical School to work on structural biology of proteins related to viral infections and drug resistance. UMass Medical Sch...
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, The University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom, about 19 hours ago
Job Purpose This is a post-doctoral position supported by a European Research Council Grant. The project aims to understand the disease mechanism of bone metastasis and therapy resistance with th...