Princeton University Library seeks a Metadata and Enterprise Operations Manager to join its Cataloging and Metadata Services team (CaMS). CaMS is a multidisciplinary group of talented professionals and paraprofessionals working collaboratively to support the teaching, learning, and research mission of Princeton University by providing efficient, thorough, and accurate access to the Library's holdings in many formats and languages.
This position will lead a new team with five team members that coordinates and streamlines workflows that span multiple Library units, including CaMS, Acquisitions, Circulation, Finance, and IT Services. This position also collaborates with the Assistant University Librarian for Metadata Services and CaMS team leaders to manage daily operations of CaMS and cross-team work such as data quality, bulk updating and/or loading of metadata, establishing contracts with vendors for outsourced cataloging, and receiving shelf-ready material. Team members that this position supervises are the primary technical managers and support for Library’s Alma Library Services platform.
CaMS is one of five departments that comprise the Library Information Technology, Imaging, and Metadata Services Division. The department is organized into the following teams: Approvals and Copy Cataloging, Metadata Operations, Non-Roman Script Languages, Rare Books, Serials and E-Resources, and Western Languages.
Princeton University Library is one of the world's leading research libraries, supporting a diverse community of 5,200 undergraduates, 2,700 graduate students, 1,200 faculty members, and many visiting scholars. Its holdings include more than 7 million printed volumes, 85 thousand manuscripts, 2 million non-print items, and extensive collections of digital text, data, and images.
The Library employs a dedicated and knowledgeable staff of more than 300 people working in a large central library, nine specialized branches, and three storage facilities.
- Collaborates with the Assistant University Librarian for Metadata Services on the details of day-to-day operations of the Department.
- Coordinates and oversees logistics related to the movement of material into and out of the Cataloging and Metadata Services Department (CaMS).
- Supervises five full-time staff: two Metadata Operations Specialists and three IT Analyst/Coordinators.
- In collaboration with the CaMS team leaders and other stakeholders, manages staff assignments based on work passing through the department.
- Liaises with other Library units, including Acquisitions, Information Technology, Holdings Management, Circulation, Resource Sharing, and Finance. Coordinates workflows that transition across multiple units to acquire, catalog, discover, and circulate materials. Serves as the liaison to vendors related to systems and services (e.g., OCLC, Library of Congress, Backstage Library Works).
- Engages with vendors and campus units that provide tools, data, and third-party integrated services, including those who provide catalog records, as well as campus integrations with Alma for financial and user data.
- Establishes standards and specifications for metadata and reviews data for compliance, data quality, and compatibility with the Library's library management system.
- Coordinates and oversees the metadata and technical integrations of the library services platform (LSP).
- Coordinates with the IT Project Manager to respond to requests for cataloging items so they can be digitized, included in digital exhibits, etc.
- ALA-accredited MLS degree or equivalent
- 3+ years of successful supervisory experience or successful experience managing a team, project, or functional area of responsibility
- Experience working with cataloging and acquisitions modules in an library management system such as Alma, in addition to OCLC (via OCLC Connexion and/or WorldShare)
- Working knowledge of the MARC format and bibliographic content standards (RDA, AACR2), name authority records and the LC Name Authority File, and cataloging rules for inputting and formatting bibliographic and authority data, including using PCC application profiles and policy statements
- Experience with the technical management of Library systems
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Exceptional problem-solving ability
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and productively with all levels of staff
- Experience working and cataloging in an academic library or other cultural heritage institution
- Experience with a scripting language such as Python or Ruby
- Experience working with relational databases or APIs
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate’s successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. Princeton University requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, including subsequent boosters, and submit proof of vaccination status. Employees who cannot receive the vaccine because of a disability/medical contraindication or sincerely-held religious belief may request an accommodation (e.g., an exemption) to this requirement.
Go to our careers site.
Unit Computing Specialist, Rutgers University, United States, 19 days ago
Position Details Position Information Recruitment/Posting Title Unit Computing Specialist Job Category Staff & Executive - Information Technology Department RUL Admin & Tech Svcs Overview Rutgers,...
Production Support Analyst, Rutgers University, United States, about 22 hours ago
Position Details Position Information Recruitment/Posting Title Production Support Analyst Job Category Staff & Executive - Information Technology Department University Procurement Overview Rutger...
Cryo Em And Cryo Et Of Malaria Parasites, National Institutes of Health, United States, about 10 hours ago
Position Description: A postdoctoral position is available in the Jimah Lab to study organelle biogenesis, endocytosis, and other membrane remodeling processes in malaria and related parasites. Pr...
Program Coordinator Ii, Rutgers University, United States, about 23 hours ago
Position Details Position Information Recruitment/Posting Title Program Coordinator II Job Category Staff & Executive - Athletics Department Athletics Mktg & Communication Overview The Rutgers Div...
Project Services Assistant, Rutgers University, United States, about 22 hours ago
Position Details Position Information Recruitment/Posting Title Project Services Assistant Posting Number 22TM0306 Department IPO-Project Services Overview Posting Summary Rutgers University-New B...
Custodian, Rutgers University, United States, 5 days ago
Position Details Position Information Recruitment/Posting Title Custodian Job Category AFSCME Local 888 Department Athletics Events - Operations Overview The Rutgers Division of Intercollegiate At...