Institute for Neurodegenerative Diseases
The Staff Research Associate III (SRA III) / Med Chemist position will support drug discovery operations focused on the synthesis of small organic molecules as drug candidates. The candidate will work with supervision to design and synthesis molecules for drug discovery efforts.
The candidate may be working with organic chemistry lab processes and procedures including: reaction set up, monitoring, and trouble shooting. The job will involve the ability to isolate and purify small organic molecules; working knowledge of analytical instrumentation (NMR, LC/MS) and ability to properly identify organic molecule structure through interpretation of spectral data.
The job will involve the ability to identify safe lab procedures in a chemistry laboratory; discuss and prioritize work with supervisor and help guide future chemical designs through interpretation of biological data. The SRA III will be working with modern chemical search tools (Scifinder, Reaxys); design synthetic routes to novel organic molecules using information from the primary chemistry literature. The candidate will need to have good communication skills and be able to record experiments properly and be able to publically present scientific findings.
INSTITUTE FOR NEURODEGENERATIVE DISEASES
The Institute for Neurodegenerative Diseases (IND) at UCSF is pursuing a cutting-edge blend of basic science and clinical medicine to provide outstanding care to those suffering from neurodegenerative diseases.
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences.
• BA/BS degree with a focus on organic chemistry or related science and two or more years of recent, directly related work experience following degree completion, utilizing the techniques or methods required by the position; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
• Laboratory experience in the synthesis, purification and characterization of organic molecules with a working knowledge of common instrumentation such as NMR and MS
• Knows standard safety protocols; can investigate and understand all possible safety issues of reagents and reactions
• Able to design synthetic routes to complex molecules using the primary chemical literature and chemical search tools
• Able to show concrete examples of problem solving; understands common reaction mechanisms
• Can organize and present results in a clear and concise manner
• Good written English and report writing skills
• Two+ years of medicinal chemistry experience, or two+ years of working in an academic lab specializing in synthetic organic chemistry
• Able to design synthetic routes to molecules of moderate complexity
• Basic understanding of conformational analysis
Job Code and Payroll Title
9611 Staff Research Associate III
Mission Bay/Sandler Neurosciences Center
Monday - Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm, 30 min lunch
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Finance Assistant (4722 C) #26537, University of California, United States, about 12 hours ago
The College of Chemistry’s Business Administration and Financial Services Unit is responsible for overseeing and managing all budgeting, financial accounting, recharge, receiving, external revenue...
Lab Research Associate (9613 C) #26507, University of California, United States, about 12 hours ago
The Department of Nutritional Sciences & Toxicology (NST) focuses on the metabolic biology of nutrients and toxicants in relation to human health and disease. NST's research and curriculum span a ...
Physiology Research Associate (9612 C) #26487, University of California, United States, 7 days ago
The Exercise Physiology Laboratory under direction of Professor George A. Brooks conducts basic and applied research on substrate partitioning in men and women. Recently, Professor Brooks along wi...
Senior Research Associate, Connection Lab, United States, 3 days ago
Connection Lab Senior Research Associate (PhD-Level) Who We Are: Connection Lab is a small behavioral research laboratory based in San Francisco, CA. We aim to produce high-quality research that f...
Custodian (5103 C) Job #26633 Co E/Rfs, University of California, United States, about 13 hours ago
30% On a daily basis, maintain all floors in a clean and safe condition by sweeping and mopping; waxing as needed. Sweep all building entrances out to the last step or at least ten feet out from ...
Program Assistant Iv –Ma In International Studies, University of San Francisco, United States, 12 days ago
Job Title: Photographer/Videographer Job Summary: OVERVIEW The University of San Francisco’s Office of Marketing Communications (OMC) provides centralized marketing and communications services to ...