Institute for Neurodegenerative Diseases
The Staff Research Associate III (SRA III) / Med Chemist position will support drug discovery operations focused on the synthesis of small organic molecules as drug candidates. The candidate will work with supervision to design and synthesis molecules for drug discovery efforts.
The candidate may be working with organic chemistry lab processes and procedures including: reaction set up, monitoring, and trouble shooting. The job will involve the ability to isolate and purify small organic molecules; working knowledge of analytical instrumentation (NMR, LC/MS) and ability to properly identify organic molecule structure through interpretation of spectral data.
The job will involve the ability to identify safe lab procedures in a chemistry laboratory; discuss and prioritize work with supervisor and help guide future chemical designs through interpretation of biological data. The SRA III will be working with modern chemical search tools (Scifinder, Reaxys); design synthetic routes to novel organic molecules using information from the primary chemistry literature. The candidate will need to have good communication skills and be able to record experiments properly and be able to publically present scientific findings.
INSTITUTE FOR NEURODEGENERATIVE DISEASES
The Institute for Neurodegenerative Diseases (IND) at UCSF is pursuing a cutting-edge blend of basic science and clinical medicine to provide outstanding care to those suffering from neurodegenerative diseases.
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences.
• BA/BS degree with a focus on organic chemistry or related science and two or more years of recent, directly related work experience following degree completion, utilizing the techniques or methods required by the position; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
• Laboratory experience in the synthesis, purification and characterization of organic molecules with a working knowledge of common instrumentation such as NMR and MS
• Knows standard safety protocols; can investigate and understand all possible safety issues of reagents and reactions
• Able to design synthetic routes to complex molecules using the primary chemical literature and chemical search tools
• Able to show concrete examples of problem solving; understands common reaction mechanisms
• Can organize and present results in a clear and concise manner
• Good written English and report writing skills
• Two+ years of medicinal chemistry experience, or two+ years of working in an academic lab specializing in synthetic organic chemistry
• Able to design synthetic routes to molecules of moderate complexity
• Basic understanding of conformational analysis
Job Code and Payroll Title
9611 Staff Research Associate III
Mission Bay/Sandler Neurosciences Center
Monday - Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm, 30 min lunch
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Postdoctoral Scholar, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, United States, about 19 hours ago
Berkeley Lab's Environmental Genomics & Systems Biology Division has an opening for a Postdoctoral Scholar. Microbial communities comprise the dominant life form on earth and major drivers of glob...
Research Assistant To Professor Larry Margerum, University of San Francisco, United States, about 6 hours ago
Job Title: Research Assistant to Professor Larry Margerum Job Summary: RA to assist in Chemical Education Projects for Analytical and General Chemistry Full Job Description: Complete a literature ...
Postdoctoral Position Martin Lab, HHMI, United States, about 10 hours ago
Postdoctoral Position - Martin Lab Tracking Code 1033-908 Job Description The Martin Lab at UC Berkeley is looking for a postdoc with strong expertise in biochemistry to address exciting questions...
Prof. Giovanni Meloni Undergraduate Research Assistant, University of San Francisco, United States, 3 days ago
Job Title: Prof. Giovanni Meloni Undergraduate Research Assistant Job Summary: Undergraduate Research Assistant (RA) to work on a research project involving the analysis of fuel/biofuel oxidation ...
Prof. Giovanni Meloni Graduate Research Assistant, University of San Francisco, United States, about 6 hours ago
Job Title: Prof. Giovanni Meloni Graduate Research Assistant Job Summary: Graduate Research Assistant (RA) to work on a research project involving the analysis of fuel/biofuel oxidation reaction d...
Program Assistant Iv Academic English For Multilingual Students/Migration Studies, College Of Arts And Sciences, University of San Francisco, United States, about 14 hours ago
Job Title: Program Assistant IV- Academic English for Multilingual Students/Migration Studies, College of Arts and Sciences Job Summary: Under the general supervision of the Associate Dean for Art...