Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Mechanical Engineer on the Target Fabrication team. You will work with programmatic scientists to formulate specifications and drawings, use advanced design and manufacturing techniques, and work with precision tolerances ranging from one (1) micrometer to 25 nm. You will use project management tools to oversee target designs from the concept phase all the way through the assembly phase. These targets are used for National Ignition Facility (NIF) experiments, the world’s largest and most energetic laser system. You will also perform hands-on work to support fabrication, metrology, and assembly of target components. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations (LSEO) Division, of the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Collaborate with programmatic scientists to generate moderately complex to complex specifications and drawings of centimeter-sized targets that are used in laser and pulse-power experiments.
- Provide guidance and informal direction to less experienced staff, utilizing independent judgement to evaluate engineering design reviews and make recommendations while functioning as a member of the team.
- Perform moderately complex to complex engineering calculations and hands-on work to support the design, fabrication, and metrology operations.
- Perform metrology on unique precision components and assemblies.
- Design, build, and execute laboratory experiments for measuring form and finish errors on components and analyze and interpret metrology data and methodology.
- Participate as a team member with other engineers, advanced machinists and technicians and collaborate with senior engineers within the group to learn best-practices and to become familiar with LLNL and vendor capabilities in fabrication and metrology.
- Prepare and present conference papers and perform other documentation as appropriate.
- Regularly update project engineers on progress toward completion of tasks and update them on risks to quality and schedule.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition, at the SES.3 Level
- Produce complex conceptual and detail designs in support of multiple on-going projects in collaboration with scientists, engineers, technicians, vendors, outside suppliers, and mid-level management while developing innovative components and systems using advanced and innovative design and manufacturing techniques.
- Function as an interface to the experiment and laser alignment groups to ensure features are designed, measured, and documented in accordance to each target design, working independently and under minimal direction; includes analyzing and determining the most efficient, expeditious, and cost-effective methods to source and/or fabricate complex technical equipment components and assemblies.
- Lead project scopes including management of budgeting, scheduling, and involved team members to ensure in-line with anticipated costs and milestones.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in moderately complex to complex fabrication, manufacturing, machine tools, coordinate metrology, or structural dynamics.
- Proficient with requirements-driven engineering activities and participating in design reviews, providing recommendations as appropriate.
- Broad experience applying moderately complex to complex engineering principles in a production environment including optical metrology and diagnostic techniques for quality and production control.
- Broad knowledge of systems or controls engineering with an emphasis on moderately complex to complex mechanical systems.
- Experience writing inspection reports on moderately complex to complex manufactured components with the ability to determine limitations in resolution and accuracy in manufacturing.
- Experience working effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
In Addition, at the SES.3 Level
- Advanced knowledge and experience in complex mechanical design and analysis including significant experience collaborating with all levels of technical staff, managers, and external vendors.
- Ability to independently develop and implement creative solutions to unique and complex problems as well as flexibility to reprioritize and change programmatic direction based on emergent requests.
- Significant experience in managing, overseeing, and delivering multiple projects on budget and schedule with the ability to lead, manage, and mentor junior team members.
- Master’s Degree in an Engineering discipline or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Experience in precision engineering design and manufacturing; knowledge of ANSI/ASME
standards for testing of machine tools or coordinate measuring machines; knowledge of CNC machine tool programming and post processing (G-code M-code).
- Detail-oriented, experience working well in a fast-paced environment, with a strong sense of urgency and drive to succeed.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Application Developer (Transcript Evaluation System), University of California Office of the President, United States, about 7 hours ago
Requisition Number 20190522 Working Title Application Developer (Transcript Evaluation System) Appointment Type Staff - Career Personnel Program PSS-Uncovered Work Hours Mon. - Fri. 8am - 5pm Perc...
Development Engineer, Senior, University of Carlifornia, United States, about 19 hours ago
Requisition Number: 31641 Job Title: DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER, SENIOR Working Title: Telecommunications Engineer Salary: $5,867 - $11,608 monthly Job Type: Contract Department Name: 3200-COMMUNICATION...
Learning Spaces Supervisor, Holy Names University, United States, about 2 hours ago
Holy Names University in Oakland, CA is seeking a Learning Spaces Supervisor. The Learning Spaces Supervisor is a full-time position funded by a Title III grant for 4 years. The Learning Spaces Su...
People Soft Technical Operations Architect, University of California Office of the President, United States, about 6 hours ago
Requisition Number 20190510 Working Title PeopleSoft Technical Operations Architect Appointment Type Staff - Career Personnel Program MSP Work Hours Mon. - Fri. 8am - 5pm Percentage of Time 100 Or...
Faculty Course Developer, Holy Names University, United States, about 2 hours ago
Holy Names University is seeking experienced instructors to work with our instructional design team to design and develop a new online versions of the following undergraduate courses: PSYC 63: Sta...
Programmer/Analyst Iv, University of Carlifornia, United States, about 20 hours ago
Requisition Number: 31677 Job Title: PROGRAMMER/ANALYST IV Working Title: Business Relationship Manager Salary: $6,334 - $12,516 monthly Job Type: Career Department Name: 3091-OFFICE FOR RESEARCH ...