Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research in experimental materials sciences with an emphasis on metallurgy and advanced manufacturing. Specific areas of focus include uranium alloy metallurgy, laser powder bed fusion, residual stress analysis, cold hearth melting and metal-metal composites. You will actively participate in the characterization and qualification of additively manufactured metals. This position is in the Ultrafast Materials group of the Materials Science Division.
- Conduct fundamental research in metallurgical processing.
- Collaborate with scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory’s Lujan Center to design experiments using neutron and X-ray diffraction.
- Characterize feedstock for additive manufacturing processes, and coordinate with researchers to optimize feedstock production.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the conception, design and execution of research to address defined problems.
- Pursue independent but complementary research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Maintain and establish laboratory protocols.
- Document research; publish papers in peer-reviewed journals, and present results within the DOE community and at conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in materials science, chemistry, or a related field.
- Experience in conventional materials characterization techniques (X-ray diffraction, X-ray fluorescence, mechanical testing).
- Familiarity with laser powder bed fusion processing and other additive and conventional metallurgical processing techniques.
- Proficiency in optical and electron microscopy (Scanning Electron Microscopy and Transmission Electron Microscopy).
- Ability as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques and execution.
- Ability to develop independent research projects through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills as reflected in effective presentations at seminars, meetings and/or teaching lectures.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills with desire and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
- Experience in atomic force microscopy.
- Familiarity with residual stress measurement techniques.
- Knowledge and understanding of chemical characterization methods including inert gas fusion, ICP-MS.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a two year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Assistant Bursar (Part Time), Broward College, United States, about 13 hours ago
Job Description Summary Under limited supervision, provides leadership on technical and functional operations of the campus cashier’s office by evaluating, analyzing and maintaining College-wide C...
Assistant Ii, University of Carlifornia, United States, about 16 hours ago
Requisition Number: 30023 Job Title: _____ASSISTANT II Working Title: PBX Operator Salary: $20.27 - $28.78 hourly Job Type: Career Department Name: 3192-LUSKIN CONFERENCE CENTER Department Website...
Staff Research Associate Ii, Non Exempt, University of Carlifornia, United States, about 16 hours ago
Requisition Number: 29926 Job Title: STAFF RESEARCH ASSOCIATE II, NON EXEMPT Working Title: Staff Research Associate II Salary: $22.57 - $36.32 hourly Job Type: Career Department Name: 2301-MICROB...
Assistant Iii, Supervisor, University of Carlifornia, United States, about 16 hours ago
Requisition Number: 29962 Job Title: _____ASSISTANT III, SUPERVISOR Working Title: Administrative Assistant III-Sup Salary: $20.55 - $40.70 hourly Job Type: Career Department Name: 5685-UNEX-HUMAN...
Assistant To The I, University of Carlifornia, United States, about 16 hours ago
Requisition Number: 30028 Job Title: ASSISTANT TO THE _____I Working Title: Assistant to the Vice Chancellor Salary: $4,400 - $8,733 monthly Job Type: Career Department Name: 3002-LEGAL AFFAIRS De...
Assistant Iii, University of Carlifornia, United States, about 17 hours ago
Requisition Number: 30132 Job Title: _____ASSISTANT III Working Title: Assignment Representative Salary: $23.30 - $33.38 hourly Job Type: Career Department Name: 3130E-HOUSING SERVICES Department ...