Berkeley Lab’s Energy Storage & Distributed Resources Division (ESDR) is looking for a Materials Project Scientist to join the Energy Conversion Group (ECG)!
In this role, you will conduct materials and systems diagnostics of electrochemical systems (including, fuel-cells, electrolyzers and flow batteries). This includes structure-property characterization of polymeric materials and solid-electrolyte separators, thin-film fabrication and deposition relevant to complex interfaces and electrodes, mechanical characterization of solid-state materials and components, as well as the characterization of polymeric and ionic systems and their interfaces. You will use a suite of imaging, scattering spectroscopic, and electrochemical methods as well as develop new stages or necessary customizations for in-situ and operando capabilities. Research will be conducted in collaboration with industrial and academic partners, and as such will be fast-paced and goal-driven, with the possibility of high visibility and commercialization of successfully developed technology.
What You Will Do:
- Design, develop, fabricate and characterize materials, interfaces and their assemblies for electrochemical energy conversion systems.
- Review literature and identify opportunities to apply state-of-the-art polymer-electrolyte containing technologies and research.
- Partner with existing and potential funding sponsors, program managers, and technical colleagues at DOE and with industrial research partners.
- Assist in the preparation and delivery of written and oral reports for existing programs.
- Prepare publications, reports, and conference presentations.
- Attend workshops, conferences, and project meetings.
- Lead the development and installation of new or custom experimental capabilities, including modification of existing or new equipment for multi-modal and/or in-situ/operando measurements.
- Participate in research activities on structure-function characterization of solid-state conductors and cell testing.
- Maintain laboratory operations, including equipment purchasing, troubleshooting and maintenance, design/fabrication of testing platforms, and training of new or early career staff members.
- Serve as safety lead for one or more lab spaces with regular onsite presence.
- Develop new experimental methods, resolve existing instrument issues, and train other group members on safe operation of experimental instruments.
What is Required:
- A Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent training/knowledge) in Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering, or a related field with a focus on polymer electrolytes and a minimum of 4 years of research experience in polymer-electrolyte fuel cells, electrolyzers, or flow batteries.
- Hands-on experience working with thin-film fabrication, electrochemical techniques (e.g., impedance), mechanical and chemical characterization techniques, spectroscopy tools (e.g., ellipsometry, FT-IR), and x-ray scattering (e.g., SAXS, WAXS).
- Demonstrated ability to develop innovative approaches for multi-modal instrumentation and in-situ/operando material characterization tools.
- Experience in safety management.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills including the ability to develop experimental plans, organize, and interpret scientific data with attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to work independently and within a team environment.
What We Prefer:
- Advanced Degree (or equivalent training/knowledge) in Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering, or a related field with a focus on polymer electrolytes.
- Demonstrated ability to serve as a research lead on fast-paced government and industry funded projects.
- Knowledge of transport phenomena and polymers.
- Ability to assemble and test fuel-cell and flow battery systems and perform diagnostics tests.
For full consideration, please apply by January 31, 2022 with the following application materials:
- Cover Letter - Describe your interest in this position, the relevance of your background.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume including list of publications.
- This is a full time, exempt from overtime pay (monthly paid), 1 year (benefits eligible) Term appointment with the possibility of renewal or extension for up to a maximum of 5 years total based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be performed onsite at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Learn About Us:
Berkeley Lab (LBNL) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
The Energy Storage and Distributed Resources Division (ESDR ) works on developing advanced batteries and fuel cells for transportation and stationary energy storage, grid-connected technologies for a cleaner, more reliable, resilient, and cost-effective future, and demand-responsive and distributed energy technologies for a dynamic electric grid. Of importance, the energy conversion group (ECG ) is a key leader in using fundamental science to solve applied problems related to electrochemical energy conversion.
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities. To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab- Click Here .
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments.
Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here for the supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law" and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4.
Glasswash Laboratory Assistant – Dillin Lab, HHMI, United States, about 11 hours ago
Primary Work Address: 2033 Valley Life Sciences Building, Berkeley, CA, 94720-3140 Current HHMI Employees, click here to apply via your Workday account. We are currently looking for an enthusiasti...
Laboratory Manager King Lab, HHMI, United States, about 11 hours ago
Primary Work Address: 2033 Valley Life Sciences Building, Berkeley, CA, 94720-3140 Current HHMI Employees, click here to apply via your Workday account. We are currently seeking an organized, coll...
Cell Therapy Operations Manufacturing, University of California, San Francisco, United States, 8 days ago
Job Summary Uses (GMP) Good Manufacturing Practices as a seasoned, experienced professional and implements and coordinates building management procedures and space planning activities. Develops s...
Head Of Operations, University of California, San Francisco, United States, about 21 hours ago
Laboratory Medicine Full Time 66336BR Job Summary Uses advanced concepts to implement and coordinate laboratory operations to support the work of cellular therapy process development and manufactu...
Earth Scientist , Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, United States, about 11 hours ago
Earth Scientist - 95501 Division: CE-Climate & Ecosystems Berkeley Lab’s Climate & Ecosystems Division (https://eesa.lbl.gov/our-divisions/climate-ecosystem-sciences/) has an opening for an Earth ...
Systems Cell Biology Of Host Pathogen Interactions Specialist Position Madhani Lab , University of California, Berkeley, United States, about 16 hours ago
Skip to main content Recruit Home Open Recruitments Systems Cell Biology of Host-Pathogen Interactions Specialist Position - Madhani Lab (JPF03942) Systems Cell Biology of Host-Pathogen Interaction...