Division of Continuing Education
Responsible for the functioning and integration of course records for the Harvard Extension School and Harvard Summer School course catalogs in the student information system.
Reporting to the Assistant Registrar, the Manager of Courses, Scheduling, and Classrooms is responsible for the functioning and integration of course records for the Harvard Extension School (HES) and Harvard Summer School (HSS) course catalogs in the student information system (SIS) and across all course information platforms. As a key member of the course administration team within the Division of Continuing Education (DCE) Registrar's Office, this position works closely with DCE Academic Administration and a wide range of DCE and Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) stakeholders on all aspects of setting up the catalog and schedule for over 900 Harvard Extension School courses and over 500 Harvard Summer School courses annually.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Manages all course details in the SIS for catalog preparation
- Prepares the meeting schedule for all HES and HSS courses
- Assigns classrooms for all courses meeting on campus, balancing pedagogical and technological needs and optimizing room use
- Manages assignments of FAS classrooms to ensure the best use of heavily-used and tightly-scheduled space shared with the FAS Registrar, the Office of Student Life, and Harvard College academic departments for courses, sections, student group meetings, and special events during the academic year; manages all FAS instructional space during Summer School
- Maintains FAS RoomBook (EMS) for DCE courses
- Monitors enrollment for necessary classroom changes
- Oversees course creation and online registration for independent study and thesis courses
- Updates and maintains multi-user FileMaker relational database and trains new users on how to navigate the database
- Oversees the work of gathering, compiling, and updating course information from faculty course proposals, rolled courses, and other sources into relational database for preparation of HES and HSS catalogs in Banner SIS
- Develops and maintains tracking systems to ensure data integrity for registration and for transfer of data across all course information platforms
- Performs testing of new processes, software, and systems
- Assists the Registrar and Academic Deans for both HES and HSS with planning for registration, courses, calendars, communications schedules, publications, testing, website content, Summer School Opening weekend, and handbooks; advises on best approaches for new course and program design and development, including course formats
- Composes concise, accurate, and timely written correspondence with faculty, students, FAS and DCE administration
- Contributes to course-related contingency planning
- Trains and directs the work of one FTE and occasional temporary employees
- 5 or more years of professional experience in academic or other equivalent administration
- Relational database experience
- Education beyond high school may count towards experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Outstanding organizational, communication, writing, and interpersonal skills required
- Must be able to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Must be able to work independently, exercise sound judgment, and use discretion
- Excellent and unwavering attention to detail
- Familiarity with computer and electronic communications software
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Experience with FileMaker, Banner, and/or Salesforce a plus
- Experience working in an academic environment, especially working with faculty, a plus
Harvard will require COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members who will have any on-campus presence. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement and exceptions may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/ .
The Faculty of Arts and Sciences will not provide visa sponsorship for this position.
In order to be considered for this role, a resume and cover letter must be submitted with application.
The Division of Continuing Education (DCE) comprises several entities serving about 30,000 students annually. The Harvard Extension School, the Harvard Summer School, the Harvard Professional Development Programs and the Harvard Institute for Learning in Retirement allow Harvard to serve the learning needs of students across their life. For more than a century, Harvard Extension School has made Harvard faculty and teaching accessible to a diverse community of local, national, and international students. Harvard Extension School enrolls approximately 17,000 students per year in approximately 46 graduate and undergraduate liberal arts and professional fields. More than 1,500 open enrollment courses are offered year-round with over 600 available online are offered at affordable prices to our communities across the world. Harvard Summer School offers approximately 450 courses on the Harvard Campus to 11,000 secondary school, college and adult learners and more than 30 international study abroad programs for up to 600 students each summer. The Division also includes the Harvard Institute for Learning in Retirement with approximately 550 active members and Harvard Professional Development Programs offering nearly 130 short noncredit programs to more than 3,200 participants annually.
All formal offers will be made by FAS Human Resources.
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
USA - MA - Cambridge
405012 Admin Professional (N)
Division of Continuing Education
55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers
Monday - Friday, 9-5pm
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University embraces equal opportunity and affirmative action as core values: we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging as fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. This commitment applies to every aspect of education, services, and employment policies and practices at the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS). Our commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. All positions at the FAS share in the responsibility for building a community that values equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging, and the uniqueness of others by exhibiting integrity and respect in interacting with all members of the Harvard community to create an atmosphere of fairness and belonging. We strongly encourage members from historically underrepresented communities, inclusive of those that are racially and ethnically underrepresented, persons with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTQIA, and those who are at the intersections of these identities, from across the spectrum of disciplines and methods, to apply. Together, we strive to create an environment that values diversity, promotes an inclusive culture, and establishes a profound sense of belonging for each member of our community.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Research Training Manager, University of Massachusetts Boston, United States, 1 day ago
General Summary: The Research Training Manager is responsible for the day to day operation of the UMass Boston Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Center U-54 Research Education Core (REC). She/he manages...
Lecturer/Senior Lecturer, Babson College, United States, about 4 hours ago
Babson College is seeking a Lecturer or Senior Lecturer ( not a Tenure track position) in Operations and Information Management Division for the 2022-23 academic year. Responsibilities include tea...
Lecturer/Senior Lecturer, Babson College, United States, 16 days ago
Division Summary: The Operations and Information Management Division at Babson College includes faculty with expertise teaching and researching issues related to evolving technologies that acceler...
Visiting Assistant/Associate Clinical Professor, Northeastern University, United States, about 21 hours ago
About Northeastern: The Bouvé College of Health Sciences has over 200 faculty members, with approximately 2,000 undergraduate and 2,400 graduate students. It is the leading national model for educ...
Assistant Professor, University of Massachusetts Boston, United States, 1 day ago
The Department of Nursing invites applicants to join our diverse college as Assistant Professor on the tenure-track beginning September 1, 2022. Research experience is required and an established ...
P/T Instructor Position (Toefl) Workforce And E..., Bunker Hill Community College, United States, 1 day ago
About Bunker Hill Community College: Bunker Hill Community College (BHCC) is a multi-campus institution with vibrant, urban campuses in Boston, Massachusetts, in nearby Chelsea, Massachusetts, an...