Kansas Geological Survey
Manage the Kansas Geologic Sample Repository (KGSR) operations and represent the Kansas Geological Survey (KGS) as an extension of the activities in the Lawrence office. Currently, the KGSR has three full-time staff and two part-time temporary staff. The Manager develops and participates in research and service projects as appropriate, utilizing contacts with the public and industry to identify opportunities and relevant problems to be solved. The Manager is active with KGS administration in Lawrence to ensure coordination between offices.
The Mission of the Kansas Geological Survey – Kansas Geologic Sample Repository, Wichita , is to:
- establish, manage, and maintain the Kansas Geologic Sample Repository (KGSR) for the preservation of the State's geologic samples for research, exploration, and education,
- provide to the public retail sales for geologic, hydrologic, paleontologic, stratigraphic, geochemical, geophysics and mineral economics publications, maps, and software published by the Kansas Geological Survey,
- make available to the public geological, hydrological and other natural resource information about Kansas, and
- promote and participate in research and technology transfers.
Learn more about the Kansas Geological Survey .
- Administration/Management of the KGSR Facility (25%)
- Manage the daily operations and administration.
- Develop, prepare, and monitor the annual operating budget.
- Identify facility maintenance and equipment replacement needs, and work with the Lawrence office to initiate and carry out steps for improvements.
- Maintain communication with the Lawrence office, including attendance at monthly management team meetings.
- Develop and institute policies and procedures to maximize service and efficiency in the KGSR operations.
- Develop and prepare statistical spreadsheets and graphs reflecting KGSR use, collection growth, and revenue collected. Compile this information in an annual report.
- Maintain a current website in coordination with the Lawrence office.
- Supervision of the KGSR Facility (25%)
- Supervise office staff in accounting practices and procedures to ensure accuracy and efficiency in financial transactions.
- Supervise and train staff in sample preservation techniques to ensure proper curation of formation samples.
- Supervise KGSR staff and prepare annual evaluations.
- Maintain communications and coordinate with KGS Human Resources director concerning staff, new hires, hiring and termination of employees.
- Research and Technology Transfer (20%)
- Represent the Kansas Geological Survey in the local and professional communities in Wichita and the surrounding area, including representation in governmental organizations.
- Foster opportunities for research and service.
- Make presentations and prepare reports on geological topics, as appropriate.
- Assist professionals and the public with literature searches, sample examinations, and Kansas natural resources.
- Participate in relevant research and technology transfer in collaboration with the Lawrence office.
- Service (30%)
- Provide natural resources information in response to public, corporate, or governmental inquiries.
- Present and participate in public events.
- Prepare flyers or web-based information on popular topics to aid in service activities.
- Answer media inquiries as appropriate.
- Serve on technical and professional internal and external committees.
This position is required to work on-site.
Contact Information to Applicants
Kansas Geological Survey
University of Kansas
Additional Candidate Instruction
Complete the University of Kansas Unclassified Professional Staff profile and upload the required material:
Application review has been extended. Review begins January 25, 2021, and will continue until a qualified pool of applicants is received. For best consideration apply by the review date above.
Advertised Salary Range
$60,000 - $70,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Application Review Begins
Anticipated Start Date
KS Geologic Sample Respository
U-Unclassified Professional Staff
Work Location Assignment
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university's programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, Room 1082, Dole Human Development Center, 1000 Sunnyside Avenue, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY (for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas medical center campuses).
Research Project Specialist, University of Kansas, United States, about 11 hours ago
Position Overview This position is designed to support and enable a large-scale grant from the U.S. National Science Foundation to the University of Kansas Biodiversity Institute. The grant focuse...
Operations Director, University of Kansas, United States, about 11 hours ago
Position Overview Accessible Teaching, Learning and Assessment Systems (ATLAS) is a center within the Achievement and Assessment Institute with more than 100 staff members and annual revenues in e...
Athletic Director, University of Kansas, United States, 7 days ago
18761BR Intercollegiate Athletics Position Overview To be considered for this position, application materials must be submitted via https://turnkeyzrg.com/university-of-kansas-director-of-athletic...
Temporary Worker Ups Assistant Researcher, University of Kansas, United States, 15 days ago
Position Overview Under general direction of the Project ENHANCE research staff, participates in the support and coaching of participating school sites’ faculty and staff that are implementing the...
Customer Support Technician, University of Kansas, United States, about 11 hours ago
Position Overview Agile Technology Solutions (ATS), a unit within the Achievement and Assessment Institute at KU, is seeking a customer support technician with advanced troubleshooting skills to a...
Temporary Academic Advisor, University of Kansas, United States, 1 day ago
18695BR Undergraduate Advising Ctr Position Overview The Undergraduate Advising Center (UAC) is a unit within Academic Success, reporting through the Office of the Provost. The UAC provides compre...