Kansas Geological Survey
Manage the Kansas Geologic Sample Repository (KGSR) operations and represent the Kansas Geological Survey (KGS) as an extension of the activities in the Lawrence office. Currently, the KGSR has three full-time staff and two part-time temporary staff. The Manager develops and participates in research and service projects as appropriate, utilizing contacts with the public and industry to identify opportunities and relevant problems to be solved. The Manager is active with KGS administration in Lawrence to ensure coordination between offices.
The Mission of the Kansas Geological Survey – Kansas Geologic Sample Repository, Wichita , is to:
- establish, manage, and maintain the Kansas Geologic Sample Repository (KGSR) for the preservation of the State's geologic samples for research, exploration, and education,
- provide to the public retail sales for geologic, hydrologic, paleontologic, stratigraphic, geochemical, geophysics and mineral economics publications, maps, and software published by the Kansas Geological Survey,
- make available to the public geological, hydrological and other natural resource information about Kansas, and
- promote and participate in research and technology transfers.
Learn more about the Kansas Geological Survey .
- Administration/Management of the KGSR Facility (25%)
- Manage the daily operations and administration.
- Develop, prepare, and monitor the annual operating budget.
- Identify facility maintenance and equipment replacement needs, and work with the Lawrence office to initiate and carry out steps for improvements.
- Maintain communication with the Lawrence office, including attendance at monthly management team meetings.
- Develop and institute policies and procedures to maximize service and efficiency in the KGSR operations.
- Develop and prepare statistical spreadsheets and graphs reflecting KGSR use, collection growth, and revenue collected. Compile this information in an annual report.
- Maintain a current website in coordination with the Lawrence office.
- Supervision of the KGSR Facility (25%)
- Supervise office staff in accounting practices and procedures to ensure accuracy and efficiency in financial transactions.
- Supervise and train staff in sample preservation techniques to ensure proper curation of formation samples.
- Supervise KGSR staff and prepare annual evaluations.
- Maintain communications and coordinate with KGS Human Resources director concerning staff, new hires, hiring and termination of employees.
- Research and Technology Transfer (20%)
- Represent the Kansas Geological Survey in the local and professional communities in Wichita and the surrounding area, including representation in governmental organizations.
- Foster opportunities for research and service.
- Make presentations and prepare reports on geological topics, as appropriate.
- Assist professionals and the public with literature searches, sample examinations, and Kansas natural resources.
- Participate in relevant research and technology transfer in collaboration with the Lawrence office.
- Service (30%)
- Provide natural resources information in response to public, corporate, or governmental inquiries.
- Present and participate in public events.
- Prepare flyers or web-based information on popular topics to aid in service activities.
- Answer media inquiries as appropriate.
- Serve on technical and professional internal and external committees.
This position is required to work on-site.
Contact Information to Applicants
Kansas Geological Survey
University of Kansas
Additional Candidate Instruction
Complete the University of Kansas Unclassified Professional Staff profile and upload the required material:
Application review has been extended. Review begins January 25, 2021, and will continue until a qualified pool of applicants is received. For best consideration apply by the review date above.
Advertised Salary Range
$60,000 - $70,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Application Review Begins
Anticipated Start Date
KS Geologic Sample Respository
U-Unclassified Professional Staff
Work Location Assignment
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university's programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, Room 1082, Dole Human Development Center, 1000 Sunnyside Avenue, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY (for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas medical center campuses).
Business Coordinator, University of Kansas, United States, 11 days ago
Position Overview The mission of the University of Kansas Transportation Center (KUTC) is to support Kansas public works and transit agencies by providing innovative, cost-effective, and valuable ...
Writing Consultant, University of Kansas, United States, about 2 hours ago
Position Overview The University of Kansas McNair Scholars Program is seeking two Temporary Writing Consultants. The successful candidates are individuals committed, in theory and practice, to the...
Child & Adolescent Assessment Coordinator (Part Time), University of Kansas, United States, 4 days ago
Position Overview The KU School of Social Welfare seeks a part-time Assistant Researcher Senior to virtually observe and conduct child and adolescent mental health assessments conducted in the com...
Research Technician, University of Kansas, United States, about 2 hours ago
18939BR KS Biological Survey Position Overview This position is for a Research Technician to work within a team, collecting and identifying aquatic invertebrates as part of an NSF macrosystem gran...
Staff Attorney, University of Kansas, United States, about 2 hours ago
18981BR Law School Position Overview The Medical – Legal Partnership (“MLP”) staff and law students provide free legal representation in income supports, housing, education and employment, legal s...
Trainer, University of Kansas, United States, 11 days ago
Position Overview The Trainer position will assume responsibility as a full-time trainer in the College and Career Competency Framework and provide training and coaching to school staff and admini...