Stanford University is seeking a Life Science Research Professional 1 to perform basic functions and activities involved in defined research projects, and independently conduct and analyze experiments.
About the Department of Pathology
Comprised of extraordinary faculty and staff, our mission is to improve the diagnosis, treatment and basic understanding of human disease. We accomplish this through our clinical services, research, and training the future leaders in pathology and related fields. A major focus of clinical research in the Department continues to be the correlation of patient outcome and treatment response with the diagnosis of human cancers. Everything we do is to provide the highest quality of pathology diagnostic services to the patients for whom we passionately care.
For more information about the department visit http://pathology.stanford.edu/
About the LAB:
The LSRP will work in the lab of Dr. Ansuman Satpathy MD PhD (Department of Pathology and Parker Institute for Cancer Immunotherapy at Stanford University School of Medicine). The goal of the lab is to apply cutting-edge immunologic and genomic technologies to study the immune response to cancer, and to design the next-generation of cancer immunotherapies for patients. The laboratory consists of an interdisciplinary team of physicians and scientists with backgrounds in medicine, immunology, cancer, and genetics.
About the Job:
We are looking for highly motivated individuals to join our laboratory to perform technology-driven research in a highly dynamic and exciting environment. A successful candidate will work independently and also collaborate with other members to engage in developing novel genomics and immunology technologies and apply them to study cancer immunotherapy in humans. The candidate will apply and learn a diverse set of molecular biology, immunology, and genomics techniques and participate in data analysis and publication of research manuscripts. The candidate will execute bench (wet lab) experiments focusing on molecular biology, next-generation sequencing, and cell culture. The candidate will also be responsible for some basic lab operations. There may also be opportunities for computational skills development, such as bioinformatics analysis, as a part of the role. This position offers a rich opportunity to engage research at the frontier of biotech fields related to health and medicine, and to prepare the candidate for the next stage of their career, either in academia or industry. We also welcome candidates who wish to go on to medical or graduate school, or other similar professional career tracks in health care and science.
- Plan approach to experiments in support of research projects in lab and/or field based on knowledge of scientific theory.
- Independently conduct experiments; maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- Apply the theories and methods of a life science discipline to interpret and perform analyses of experiment results; offer suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and protocols in collaboration with senior researcher.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with new procedures and apply learnings to related research.
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in the preparation of written documents, including procedures, presentations, and proposals.
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide general lab support as needed.
- Assist with orientation and training of new staff or students on lab procedures or techniques.
*- Other duties may also be assigned
Bachelor’s degree in life sciences or a related area; Knowledge and experience in any of the following fields: immunology, molecular biology, cell biology, genomics, or related biology and bio-engineering fields. Self-motivated, good communications and the ability to perform as part of a team.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree in related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific principles. Demonstrated performance to use knowledge and skills when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science principals to problem solve work.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work.
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES:
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift, carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders, sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous environment.
- Position may require repetitive motion.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne pathogens.
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present.
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research requirements and business needs.
Academic Advisor, The California State University, United States, 16 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 25398 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: April 30, 2020 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: Academic Support (Unit 4) L...
Pt Ems Hourly Instructor San Jose, National University System, United States, about 7 hours ago
“Our mission is to deliver an exceptional student experience by providing superior programs and services that are relevant and result in meaningful learning.” National University is San Diego’s la...
Project Accountant, The California State University, United States, 16 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 25395 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: May 1, 2020 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9) Link t...
Assistant, Associate Professor, Or Full Professor University Tenure Line Or Non Tenure Line – Research Department Of Psychiatry And Behavioral Sciences Stanford University School Of Medicine, Psychiatry, United States, 4 days ago
Position ID:Stanford University School of Medicine -Psychiatry -OPENRANK [#15601] Position Title: Position Location:Palo Alto, California 94304, United States [map ] Subject Area: Psychiatry Appl...
Academic Advisor Iii, Lucas College Of Business, The California State University, United States, 2 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 25405 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: May 18, 2020 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: Academic Support (Unit 4) Lin...
Sleep And Mental Health Assistant Or Associate Professor University Tenure Line Or Non Tenure Line Research, Psychiatry, United States, 4 days ago
Position ID:Stanford University School of Medicine -Psychiatry -STANFORDUNIVERSITY [#15600] Position Title: Position Location:Palo Alto, California 94304, United States [map ] Subject Area: Psych...