Stanford University is seeking a Life Science Research Professional 1 to perform basic functions and activities involved in defined research projects, and independently conduct and analyze experiments focused on adoptive T cell immunotherapy for pediatric solid tumors. The projects in the Mackall lab will primarily focus on engineering chimeric antigen receptor T cells to resist T cell exhaustion, or understanding mechanisms by which CAR T cell exhaustion can be reversed. The Mackall lab is a world class laboratory that has developed several T cell-based therapies currently in clinical trials. Drawing on this success, we continue to seek out further ways to improve care for children with cancer.
- Plan approach to experiments in support of research projects in lab and/or field based on knowledge of scientific theory.
- Independently conduct experiments; maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- Apply the theories and methods of a life science discipline to interpret and perform analyses of experiment results; offer suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and protocols in collaboration with senior researcher.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with new procedures and apply learnings to related research.
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in the preparation of written documents, including procedures, presentations, and proposals.
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide general lab support as needed.
- Assist with orientation and training of new staff or students on lab procedures or techniques.
*- Other duties may also be assigned
Desired candidate should have experience in CAR T cell or immunotherapy research. He/she should be trained in T cell transduction, production of viral supernatants, cloning of retroviral constructs, ELISA, flow cytometry, CRISPR/Cas9, and cell culture. Experience transducing T cells is highly desired. A bachelor’s degree in cell biology or molecular biology is preferred.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree in related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific principles. Demonstrated performance to use knowledge and skills when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science principals to problem solve work.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work.
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift, carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders, sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous environment.
- Position may require repetitive motion.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne pathogens.
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present.
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research requirements and business needs.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors bases on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu .
Pt Ems Hourly Instructor San Jose, National University System, United States, about 21 hours ago
“Our mission is to deliver an exceptional student experience by providing superior programs and services that are relevant and result in meaningful learning.” National University is San Diego’s la...
Academic Advisor, The California State University, United States, 14 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 25398 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: April 30, 2020 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: Academic Support (Unit 4) L...
Assistant, Associate Professor, Or Full Professor University Tenure Line Or Non Tenure Line – Research Department Of Psychiatry And Behavioral Sciences Stanford University School Of Medicine, Psychiatry, United States, 1 day ago
Position ID:Stanford University School of Medicine -Psychiatry -OPENRANK [#15601] Position Title: Position Location:Palo Alto, California 94304, United States [map ] Subject Area: Psychiatry Appl...
Comm Univer City Department Analyst (Temporary), The California State University, United States, 16 days ago
Description: *This is a one year Benefited temporary appointment.* This position provides administrative support to the Executive Director, Associate Director, and Community Director. On campus, t...
Sleep And Mental Health Assistant Or Associate Professor University Tenure Line Or Non Tenure Line Research, Psychiatry, United States, 1 day ago
Position ID:Stanford University School of Medicine -Psychiatry -STANFORDUNIVERSITY [#15600] Position Title: Position Location:Palo Alto, California 94304, United States [map ] Subject Area: Psych...
Project And Communications Coordinator, The California State University, United States, 21 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 25393 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: April 27, 2020 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9) Lin...