Stanford University is seeking a Life Science Research Professional 2 to perform more complex functions and activities involved in defined research projects, and independently conduct a portion of the research project(s).
About the position:
Our laboratory is located at Stanford University School of Medicine in the Department of Pathology and Department of Genetics. We are recruiting a research associate (LSRP2) to perform experiments and take a leading management role as part of our exciting collaborative team directed by Dr. Le Cong. This position provide long-term career development opportunity as a senior member and manager in our group, and we have outstanding track record for training (alumni pursuing MD, PhD at leading institutions such as Stanford and MIT, others obtained highly-competitive industry positions).
The lab’s research focuses on inventing gene-editing technology beyond natural CRISPR system (JACS 2019, Nucleic Acid Research 2021 ). Using these novel gene-editors, we are performing precision single-cell screening to unbiased understand disease-causing mutations. We combine the power of genome engineering, machine learning (ICML 2020 ), and single-cell genomics (Cell 2017, Cell Reports 2019 ) to understand complex disease mechanisms. We have a particular focus on cancer and neuro-degenerative diseases. We are excited to use cancer models as our testing bed for cutting-edge technologies, and then apply our advanced tools in immune cells (cancer) and neuronal cells (brain aging and neurodegeneration).
The successful candidates will work directly with the principal investigator (Dr. Le Cong) and a team of talented trainees, be co-authors on published work, and gain valuable bench and management expertise in our inter-disciplinary group. There is opportunity to engage in clinical-relevant research, and we will provide training on computational and data analysis skills with senior members. We encourage applicants who are willing to take on this incredible opportunity and generate impact at the interaction of (1) gene-editing and functional screening (2) single-cell genomics (3) neuro-immunology research. To learn more about the investigators, please see our group’s website (www.conglab.com ) and Dr. Cong’s Stanford profile (https://profiles.stanford.edu/186687 ).
- Independently conduct a portion of the research project(s). Make recommendations on experimental design and/or research direction to principal investigator.
- Independently conduct complex (lab and/or field) experiments to gather data for a portion of a major research project.
- Interpret and analyze results, and make modifications to existing procedures and protocols. Develop new research protocols where appropriate protocols are not described in the literature.
- Participate in multidisciplinary teams across different faculties or schools.
- Perform ongoing literature review to remain current with new procedures and related research.
- Contribute substantively to the preparation of papers for publication. Present work to colleagues and/or conferences.
- Supervise (either formally or informally) staff or students as needed. Serve as a technical resource for other research staff.
- Oversee the daily activities of the laboratory including lab maintenance; maintain lab stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide general lab support as needed. May assist with purchasing laboratory equipment.
- Degree in molecular biology
- Experience with and ability to learn new experimental, computational, and statistical skills.
- Experience with basic rodent handling and animal husbandry.
- Take initiative to recognize and fill areas in the lab that need improvement.
- Theoretical knowledge of molecular biology, gene-editing, and next generation sequencing.
- Ability to communicate effectively with people of all technical and scientific backgrounds.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience with tissue culture, flow cytometry, and basic molecular cloning and cell biology techniques.
Education & Experience (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree in related scientific field and two years of relevant work experience; or Master’s degree in a related scientific field.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (REQUIRED):
- Comprehensive understanding of scientific principles.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs, databases, andscientific applications.
- Strong analytical skills and excellent judgment.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance is essential.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work.
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully
- perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift, carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders, sort and file paperwork or parts
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous environment.
- Position may require repetitive motion.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne pathogens.
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be in areas where hazardous material and/or infectious diseases are present.
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal protective equipment, such as safety
- glasses and shoes, protective clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research requirements and business needs.
Associate Vice President For Development / Executive Director Of The Campaign, The California State University, United States, 7 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 501203 Job Title: Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: June 10, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: Management Personnel Plan (MPP) Link to Apply Online: http...
Data Analyst, The California State University, United States, 18 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 500751 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: June 2, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9) Link...
Administrative Support Coordinator, School Of Management, The California State University, United States, 27 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 500581 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: May 21, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9) Link...
Program Analyst, Faculty And Staff Leaves, The California State University, United States, 4 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 500621 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: June 15, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: Confidential (C99) Link to ...
Graduate Studies Coordinator, The California State University, United States, 11 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 500617 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: June 8, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9) Link...
Academic And Career Advisor, Silicon Valley, Northeastern University, United States, 7 days ago
Academic and Career Advisor, Silicon Valley About Northeastern: Founded in 1898, Northeastern is a global research university and the recognized leader in experience-driven lifelong learning. Our ...