This position is represented by SEIU Local 2007 and the collective bargaining agreement between the university and SEIU Local 2007 governs the terms and conditions of employment.
ABOUT STANFORD UNIVERSITY AND RESIDENTIAL & DINING ENTERPRISES:
Stanford University, located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of California's Silicon Valley, is one of the world's leading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanford has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world.
Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE), the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community in a sustainable and fiscally responsible manner. R&DE comprises 800+ staff in the following divisions: Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost, Student Housing Operations, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of four R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration including Information Technology, Human Resources, Strategic Communications, and Maintenance Operations & Capital Projects. R&DE houses 13,000+ students and their dependents while serving over 6.5 million meals annually to students, conference, catering, retail, and concession guests.
ABOUT STANFORD HOSPITALITY & AUXILIARIES:
Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, a division within R&DE at Stanford University is committed to excellence and the highest level of customer service. It is recognized nationally for operating at “the cutting edge” of the industry receiving exceptional service ratings and numerous awards, including the Restaurant & Institutions Magazine Ivy Award for excellence in food service and hospitality. The Ivy Award is one of the industry’s most prestigious and coveted awards, given to those operations that meet the highest standards of food, hospitality and service. With R&DE’s vision “to be the best in the business” Stanford Hospitality and Auxiliaries is a Certified Green Business practicing sustainability in its purchasing and using equipment and processes that reduce solid waste and preserve natural resources. The highest Acterra Sustainability Award was received in 2006, in recognition of these initiatives.
I. Summary of Position
The FSWI Cashier at Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries will have an important role, and will be responsible for building and maintaining positive customer service relations; a variety of cashiering transactions and functions; and the organization, cleanliness, and appearance of the cashiering station, and the surrounding merchandise and food counters. As with all hospitality staff, this position is expected to adhere to customer service relations standards, work rules, departmental policies and procedures and performance standards.
II. Essential Job Functions
- Operates cash register and POS systems with proficiency and accuracy
- Follows department’s cash handling policy
- Follows R&DE customer service relations standards
- Provides a welcoming attitude for customers by greeting and smiling at all customers, with a positive demeanor and attitude
- Listens, de-escalates and resolves basic customer problems
- Has a good understanding of all the various merchandise, food and products sold at the café and market to respond to customer and or/vendor questions
- Organizes and wipes down, sanitizes checkout areas and surrounding merchandise counters;
- Sweeps and mops floor, trash removal
- Communicates problems/issues to manager (operational and customer service)
- Ensures signage and pricing match and are correct; reports any discrepancy to manager
- Notifies immediate supervisor of any errors in retail pricing or signage.
- Follows department work rules, department and University Policies and Procedures,
- Follows health and safety codes
- Demonstrates respectful and courteous behavior
- Regular attendance is required
- Supports other Hospitality units as needed
- Performs other duties as assigned
The Customer Service Representative/Cashier must have a High School Diploma or equivalent with a minimum of three years cashiering/retail experience in a high end retail environment that serves a diverse customer base. Candidate must have excellent customer service skills and be comfortable working with the public.
- Proficient cash handling and transactional skills
- Detail oriented and cash handling accuracy are essential
- Excellent customer service relations skills with the ability to cultivate a positive retail experience for customers, staff, visitors and vendors
- Must demonstrate a “can do” attitude and foster positive relationships
- Strong team player as well as an individual contributor
- Strong technical skills, ability to use cash register and POS systems proficiently
- Must have proficient basic math to do simple math calculations
- Good understanding of retail merchandises, pricing, product flow
- Excellent written and oral communications skills to ensure signage accuracy and communicate with customers, vendors and management with confidence
- Ability to resolve simple customer questions and/or complaints
- Regular attendance
IV. Physical Requirements
GENERAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Light to medium work. Exerting up to 25-50 pounds of lifting force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Subject to wet floors, temperature extremes, and excessive noise. Position frequently involves long hours and widely diverse duties. Must be able to bend, stoop and perform extensive walking. Must be able to exert well-paced mobility to move quickly to the different areas of the facility as service and production demands require.
Frequency of Occurrence
Extreme Temperature Changes
Hand and Finger Dexterity
Lifting, Carrying, Pushing, Pulling
Up to 10 lbs.
Up to 25 lbs.
Up to 50 lbs.
Over 50 lbs.
VI. English Proficiency Requirements
Must be able to understand and communicate in English with adequate proficiency to follow directions from supervisor, read and understand safety guidelines and directions to prevent accidents or injuries from occurring, and communicate effectively with customers (staff, visitors, students) by listening and speaking clearly to them.
Stanford and R&DE are committed to creating and sustaining a diverse environment. R&DE’s dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is reflected in our work of providing service excellence to our students. Diversity is more than a commitment—it is foundational to what we do. We are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other characteristics that make us different.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Laboratory Manager Red Horse Lab, HHMI, United States, about 18 hours ago
Primary Work Address: Beckman Center, Stanford, CA, 94305-5323 Current HHMI Employees, click here to apply via your Workday account. We are currently seeking a proactive, self-motivated Lab Manage...
Administrative Support Coordinator, The California State University, United States, 18 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 506648 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: November 10, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9)...
Laborer, The California State University, United States, 29 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 505707 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: October 30, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9) ...
Community Service Specialist, The California State University, United States, 26 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 506514 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: November 3, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9) ...
Administrative Support Coordinator, The California State University, United States, 1 day ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 507426 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: November 23, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9)...
Administrative Analyst, The California State University, United States, 22 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 506645 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: November 6, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9) ...