The Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law is a leader in legal education, located in Manhattan’s Greenwich Village. The law school is renowned for its program in intellectual property, which includes the FAME Center for Fashion, Arts, Media and Entertainment Law. Cardozo Law has a long tradition of public advocacy and is the birthplace of the Innocence Project and the home of our Center for Rights and Justice. Cardozo offers a world-class faculty and encourages creative thinking and innovation in the legal profession. Cardozo provides students with a strong foundation in legal theory combined with practical hands-on experience in a variety of areas including criminal law, civil rights law, and business law. The school prides itself on creating a vibrant and warm community for faculty, staff and students.
A division of Yeshiva University, Cardozo Law School offers an excellent compensation package, and a broad range of employee benefit plans. The law school is a secular institution within a religious university and welcomes people of all religions, ethnic backgrounds, races and sexual identities.
The Coordinator will act as the administrator for all of Cardozo’s in-house civil and criminal clinics. The person in this position will provide general administrative assistance to Cardozo’s in-house civil and criminal advocacy clinics including: Bet Tzedek Civil Litigation Clinic, Civil Rights Clinic, Criminal Appeals Clinic, Criminal Defense Clinic, Immigration Justice Clinic, Indie Film Clinic, Securities Arbitration Clinic, Tech Startup Clinic, and the Human Rights and Atrocity Prevention Clinic (computer network and electronic case management system support, only). These nine clinics have 15 faculty members and approximately 120 students over the course of each year. Because of the significant volume of administrative support needed for the proper functioning of this moderately sized law office, the person in this position shares some administrative responsibilities with the administrator of our externship and field clinic programs.
Responsibilities will include administration of the clinical program’s case management system for Cardozo’s law school-based civil and criminal clinics, as well as paralegal responsibilities. The coordinator will interface with the Director of Clinical Legal Education, office staff in the clinical programs, all clinical faculty members and students, administrative personnel throughout the law school, YU’s IT department, and will also interface with University administrative staff and staff of entities providing office-related services and supplies to the law school.
- Exclusively manage the caseload for the Criminal Appeals Clinic
- Manage hard and soft (computer) files
- Handle court filing; requests for cases
- Manage detailed court calendar; manage adjournments and stipulations of adjournments
- Communicate with clinic students, court clerks and reporters, opposing attorneys, and clients
- Request missing transcripts and trial exhibits
- Proofread, format, complete, conform, blueback, and file motions and appeals briefs for Criminal Appeals clinics (adhering to applicable rules for citation format, tables of contents and authorities, and formatting)
- Act as process server for Clinics when needed
- Arrange for student and faculty access to prisons and courts, as needed
- Locate individuals and property as needed by the Clinics through research methods
- Use LexisNexis and Westlaw to research and Shepardize case law and legal articles
- Assist various clinics with cite checking, formatting, producing, serving and filing briefs, motions, and memoranda of law
- Coordinate and compile syllabi for clinic seminar classes as well as other courses taught by Criminal Clinic professors
- Assist with compliance with legal ethics rules regarding conflict of interest, malpractice, and client’s rights
Case Management / Systems Support
- Liaise with university ITS to ensure clinic's computers are operational with minimal downtime.
- Organize and manage the Clinics’ computer network files and folders.
- Manipulate, convert, and edit electronic video files
- Train students, faculty, and staff in the use of software and computer equipment, as needed
- Videotape meetings, classes, etc using digital cameras
- Upload videos to YouTube or other accessible platform
- Arranging recordings of classes through the Library’s A/V office
- Maintain case management systems for optimal use. Administrator for CLIO legal case management systems and previous Amicus Attorney system
- Troubleshoot issues which arise regarding the use of case management system; and,
- Arrange training sessions for students and professors on using these case management systems, as needed
Office Administration Responsibilities
- Find creative ways to solve problems and increase productivity
- General law office management
- Bill for purchases, travel expenses, etc
- Manage petty cash account (Criminal Law Clinics)
- Complete work orders for repairs and tickets for IT support, telephone, and miscellaneous work to be done by facilities (cleaning, moving, fixing, etc.)
- Manage archives in basement
- Organization of clinic work areas
- Purchase and management of supplies and other necessary items
- Facilitate production and orders of business cards and stationery for all Clinics
Experience and Educational Background:
- Bachelor’s Degree and minimum of three years of experience as a legal office administrator or paralegal
Skills and Competencies:
- The position requires superior computer and web-based systems skills, general organizational and administrative skills, with the ability to multi-task
- Paralegal experience is a significant plus
- Excellent leadership and management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills for effectively representing the school and the programs when interacting with large numbers of faculty members, students and other administrators and staff members.
- Ability to work both independently and in close consultation with the Program Directors.
- Strong managerial, administrative, computer, writing, editing, communication and design skills.
Legal Assistant Ii, Texas A&M University, United States, about 7 hours ago
Primary Duties: Schedule, prioritize and coordinate assigned matters to provide consistent quality legal assistant service to assigned attorneys and System clients in a courteous and timely manner...
Clinical Director And Assistant Professor Of Clinical Legal Instruction, The University of Alabama, United States, about 9 hours ago
Posting Details Posting Details (Default Section) Requisition Number: 0810828 Number of Open Positions: 1 Position Title: Assistant Professor Other Title Information: Clinical Director and Assista...
Univ Law Enfrcment Offcr Spvsr, The Ohio State University, United States, about 20 hours ago
Position Information For security purposes, this system automatically logs you off when it senses no activity for 60 minutes. Please click either the Next button or you can go to different pages ...
Associate Dean For Development & Alumni Affairs, William & Mary Law School, William and Mary, United States, about 6 hours ago
The Associate Dean for Development and Alumni Affairs is the chief fundraiser for the Law School and also serves as a strategic partner with the Dean and across campus for the benefit of the Law S...
Police Support Specialist, University of North Texas, United States, about 18 hours ago
The Police Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a police support specialist to join our team. Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to: * Secure a...
General Counsel, Auburn University, United States, about 12 hours ago
**This position is open until filled** The General Counsel provides legal representation and advice through established procedures to Auburn University, including the main campus in Auburn Alabama...