The Dada Lab in the School of Life Sciences at ASU seeks to fill a Laboratory Manager position. This is a full-time fiscal year (12-months), benefits-eligible appointment for two (2) years with subsequent annual renewal based upon satisfactory performance, availability of resources, and the needs of the Lab. The anticipated start date is fall, 2023. Research in the Dada lab broadly focuses on understanding how microbes shape mosquito biology and how this knowledge can be leveraged for mosquito and mosquito-borne disease control. We study wild mosquito populations or their progeny under laboratory settings as well as laboratory strains to better understand the complex interactions occurring in natural settings. We use classical entomological, molecular, ‘omics, and bioinformatics tools to answer our research questions. The Laboratory Manager will play an important role in ensuring the smooth, efficient, and safe operation of the Dada Lab. The incumbent will be responsible for the overall management and safety of our research space, which consists of a molecular laboratory and an ACL-2 (Arthropod Containment Level-2) facility for conventional, gnotobiotic, and/or axenic mosquito rearing. They will ensure that the lab operates according to departmental, institutional, and national safety guidelines. With active collaborations in institutions across North America, Europe, Sub Saharan Africa, and Southeast Asia our research program is international, and this position may involve some travel and/or coordination with international collaborators.
This position is classified as a Staff position, due to this classification we are not able to sponsor any work visas. All applicants must be qualified to work in the U.S without a visa sponsorship from the employer.
- Applicable standards, regulations, guidelines, and requirements that affect operations of a research laboratory and arthropod containment facility.
- Laboratory safety practices.
- Proper and safe handling, use, and disposal of laboratory and insectary waste, instruments, specimens, and equipment.
- Principles and practices of management and supervision.
- Basic principles of budgeting and accounting.
- Principles, methods, and techniques of purchasing, project management, and inventory management.
- Basic molecular biology techniques.
- Verbal and written communication, including preparing and presenting technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Problem solving and decision making.
- Planning, organizing, implementing, evaluating, and administering laboratory activities.
- Computerized laboratory systems (some of the systems we use include; Chemical Environmental Management System, Workday, SunRISE, LabSpend, etc.).
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Coordinating and prioritizing the completion of tasks and projects for oneself and team members to ensure efficient workflow and timely delivery.
Sols Administration & Faculty
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$55,250- $62,000 per year; DOE
- Manage and supervise daily operations of the Dada Lab to ensure ongoing processes and activities occur cost effectively, efficiently, and safely, and that they comply with applicable standards and regulations.
- Develop, review, and periodically revise standard operating procedures (SOPs), and conduct tests to ensure their effectiveness and adherence to rigorous standards.
- Responsible for obtaining necessary permits and approvals for handling, working with, and/or transfer of live or dead specimens.
- Perform laboratory onboarding of new lab members including administration of requisite training.
- Purchase, manage, and properly maintain all laboratory and insectary equipment and supplies.
- Perform acceptance and protocol testing of new instruments; understand and document their proper use for efficient team-wide utilization.
- Manage the lab’s inventory and ordering system by establishing and maintaining PAR levels and restocking points for standard laboratory and research supplies.
- Manage chemical and hazardous waste streams and coordinate requests for chemical and hazardous waste removal.
- Review product specifications and recommend new/replacement equipment as needed.
- Negotiate terms, prices, and conditions with suppliers/vendors.
- Ensure compliance with laboratory safety requirements.
- Prepare and distribute regular status and statistical reports of laboratory activities and identify areas for operational improvements.
- Maintain current knowledge of subject matter areas through participation in educational programs, seminars, and workshops.
Depending on career level and interests, the Laboratory Manager may also conduct research-oriented tasks as long as these do not interfere with the primary duties outlined above. This includes driving specific research thrusts within the Lab’s overall focus area and/or contributing to ongoing research in the lab; communicating research outcomes; and keeping up to date with relevant scientific and technical literature.
Master's degree within an area of discipline and four (4) years of related experience which includes two (2) years laboratory management experience in a research and teaching setting and (2) years of supervisory experience; OR, Bachelor's degree within the area of the scientific discipline and six (6) years of related experience which includes two (2) years laboratory management experience in a research and teaching setting and (2) years of supervisory experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved.
Experience with the following would be advantageous;
- Mosquito colony maintenance or experience with handling and caring for animals especially insects and small mammals.
- Insecticide resistance assays or experience of other basic biological assays.
- ‘omics techniques.
- Evidence of a PhD in vector biology or other related biological science discipline and one (1) year of related experience including substantial evidence of laboratory management experience in a research setting; OR, Master's degree in vector biology or other related biological science discipline and at least two (2) years of related experience including a year (1) of laboratory management experience in a research setting; OR, Bachelor's degree in biological sciences and at least four (4) years of related experience including two (2) years of laboratory management experience in a research setting; OR Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved.
- Activities are performed in an office, lab setting, and in the field subject to extended periods of field work, sitting, keyboarding, and manipulating a computer mouse, and standing for varying lengths of time.
- May be required to wear personal protective equipment before entering laboratories such as lab coat, gloves, safety glasses, closed toe shoes, and respirator.
- Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing, and pulling up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential functions.
- This position receives regular review of objectives by department administrator.
The School of Life Sciences (SOLS) has provided a vital hub for creative excellence at Arizona State University, with more than 670 faculty, graduate students, postdoctoral fellows and staff, and research that ranges from studies on biodiesel and biohydrogen to vaccine development and the conservation of whales. As ASU’s first academic unit to fully reflect President Michael Crow’s integrated, interdisciplinary vision for the New American University, the School of Life Sciences offers active and evolving platforms for collaborative, cutting-edge research and faculty whose discovery is freed from traditional institutional boundaries.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources .
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume and Cover Letter should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
Data Scientist 'Ai Based Tools To Study Mosquito Behavior', Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc), Netherlands, 3 days ago
29 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc) Research Field Medical sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Netherlands Ap...
Data Scientist 'Ai Based Tools To Study Mosquito Behavior', AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, about 10 hours ago
Radboudumc Within the Radboud University Medical Center, the department of Medical Microbiology is home to a vibrant community of research groups with expertise in the entire spectrum of mosquito ...
Department Teaching Laboratory Coordinator, University of Alberta, Canada, about 6 hours ago
This competition is restricted to internal applicants of the University of Alberta. Please indicate your internal status using the "Advertisement" drop down menu when applying This position is a p...
One Vacant Position For A Full Time Project Researcher (M/F/D) At The Chair Of Waste Processing Technology And Waste Management, In The Department Of Environmental And Energy Process Engineering Reference Id: 2310 Wph, Personalabteilung der Montanuniversität Leoben, Austria, 3 days ago
29 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Personalabteilung der Montanuniversität Leoben Research Field All Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Austria Application Deadli...
Research Engineer (Microalgae Cultivation), Department Of Chemical And Biomolecular Engineering, NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE, United Kingdom, 4 days ago
Job Description We are looking for a dedicated research engineer with expertise in microalgae cultivation using industrial food side-streams to produce high-value products. Key responsibilities: C...
Lab Technician, University of Alberta, Canada, about 6 hours ago
This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA). This position offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty & Staff Benefits . Location - North Camp...