Founded in 1886, Yeshiva University (YU) has a strong tradition of combining Jewish scholarship with academic excellence and achievement in the liberal arts, sciences, medicine, law, business, social work, Jewish studies, education, psychology, and more.
We are a leading global educational institution that employs over 6,000 people across our various campus locations -- Wilf Campus, Beren Campus, Brookdale Center, Resnick Campus in the Bronx, the Gruss Institute in Jerusalem, the Boys High School in Manhattan and the Girls High School in Queens. From the distinguished faculty who teach here, to the dedicated staff, we work to fulfill our mission: to “bring wisdom to life” through all that we teach, by all that we do and for all those we serve. We seek to attract and retain engaged and committed individuals who contribute to an exciting working environment, where there is a sense of community and belonging, balanced with a significant cross section of people from diverse backgrounds working and studying together.
The University offers an excellent compensation package, and a broad range of employee benefit plans, including immediate participation in the University’s retirement plan. Staff members are typically eligible for four weeks paid vacation each year and a shuttle to nearby subway locations.
The Lab Specialist is responsible for laboratory-based tasks, which include sampling, testing, measuring, recording and analyzing results in biological, chemical, physical and life sciences. They must also provide all the required technical support to enable the laboratory to function effectively whilst adhering to correct procedures and health and safety guidelines. Scientific laboratory technicians carry out fundamental tests as part of a scientific team.
- Prepare and set up labs for faculty and class use
- Procurement of laboratory equipment, materials, and supplies, maintaining and operating standard laboratory equipment, for example centrifuges, titrators, pipetting machines and pH meters
- Ensure the laboratory is well-stocked and resourced
- Teach laboratory courses per semester at the discretion of the department chair and Dean; This includes grading laboratory reports and/or assignments
- Follow and ensure strict safety procedures and safety checks
- Assist in the care of small Lab animals and serving on the Animal Care Committee
- Prepare specimens and samples
- Responsible for coordinating the safe disposal of chemicals and biological wastes
- Maintain inventory log
- Demonstrate practical procedures
- Perform laboratory tests in order to produce reliable and precise data to support scientific investigations
- Carry out routine tasks accurately and follow strict methodologies to carry out analyses
- Perform experiment, recording and sometimes interpreting results to present to senior colleagues
- Keep up to date with technical developments, especially those which can save time and improve reliability
Experience and Educational Background:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Computer literacy and ability to work flexible hours to include occasional evenings and weekends
- Master’s degree preferred
Skills and Competencies:
- The ability to learn specific, practical techniques and apply this knowledge to solve technical problems
- Good hand and eye coordination and the ability to use technical equipment with accuracy
- The ability to maintain and calibrate technical equipment
- Time management skills in order to work on several different projects at the same time
- Flexibility in order to work with and provide support for a number of people (e.g. officials within the university sector, students with their research and academics with independent research projects)
- Excellent oral communication skills in order to work effectively with colleagues from all parts of the organization and to explain complex techniques to interested parties
- Experience in providing demonstrations
- Teamwork skills
- Attention to detail
- Develops effective written communications and uses them appropriately
- Models a positive attitude and takes initiative as a self-starter
- Applies learning from past experiences to improve future efforts
- Understands and uses technology to accomplish goals
Technician B, Columbia University, United States, about 12 hours ago
Job Title Technician B Job Code Title Job Requisition Number 092935 Department 7544- PSY Psychiatry Location Medical Center Job Type Support Staff Full-Time Regular Bargaining Unit 1199 / SSA Area...
Research Coordinator Ii, Columbia University, United States, about 13 hours ago
Job Title Research Coordinator II Job Code Title Job Requisition Number 093484 Department 7527- OBG OBGYN Location Medical Center Job Type Support Staff Full-Time Regular Bargaining Unit If tempor...
Administrative Coordinator, HHMI, United States, about 4 hours ago
Administrative Coordinator Tracking Code 057-726 Job Description About HHMI Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is a science philanthropy whose mission is to advance biomedical research and sci...
Refrigeration Control Engineer Level 1, Columbia University, United States, about 12 hours ago
Job Title Refrigeration Control Engineer - Level 1 Job Code Title Job Requisition Number 092838 Department 1215- FAC MV Operations Location Manhattanville Job Type Support Staff Full-Time Regular ...
Mechanic Carpenter, Columbia University, United States, about 13 hours ago
Job Title Mechanic - Carpenter Job Code Title Job Requisition Number 093345 Department 1205- FAC Operations Location Morningside Job Type Support Staff Full-Time Regular Bargaining Unit TWU - B&G ...
Laboratory Technologist, Columbia University, United States, about 12 hours ago
Job Title Laboratory Technologist Job Code Title Job Requisition Number 093153 Department 7538- PAT Pathology Location Medical Center Job Type Support Staff Full-Time Regular Bargaining Unit If te...