School of Medicine Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nation's top medical schools. Ranked sixth among medical schools in the nation, the School takes pride in being an inclusive community of outstanding learners, investigators, clinicians, and staff where interdisciplinary collaboration is embraced and great ideas accelerate translation of fundamental scientific discoveries to improve human health locally and around the globe. Composed of more than 2,500 faculty physicians and researchers, more than 1,300 students, and more than 6,000 staff, the Duke University School of Medicine along with the Duke University School of Nursing, Duke University Health System and the Private Diagnostic Clinic (PDC) comprise Duke Health. a world-class academic medical center. The Health System encompasses Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Duke Primary Care, Duke Home and Hospice, Duke Health and Wellness, and multiple affiliations.
Lab Research Analyst I
Yeh Lab – Duke Human Vaccine Institute
The Duke Human Vaccine Institute (DHVI) continues to lead cutting-edge vaccine research against infectious diseases that impact global health. Basic science discoveries made using a variety of human and pathogen-derived proteins, designed, expressed and purified by a collaborative DHVI team have contributed to the identification of vaccine and therapeutic candidates currently being produced in Good Manufacturing Practice facilities for early phase clinical trials. Our lab will be studying the germinal center and antibody-forming responses following immunization and provide feedback to the design and selection of candidate vaccine immunogens.
- Performs flow cytometry-based single B cell isolation and culture
- B cell enrichment from human, macaque and mouse samples
- Design and execute flow cytometry data analysis using FlowJo and Prism
- Protocol development
- Performs ELISA and bead-based multiplexed immunoassays
- Performs antibody repertoire studies following FACS-based isolation of B and T lymphocytes
- PCR isolation of antibody genes from single sorted or bulk cultured B cells
- Large scale recombinant antibody production and purification
- NGS sequence analysis
- Understand and comply with all safety standards and procedures to ensure a safe working environment for all laboratory staff
- Closely follow all standard operating procedures.
- Archive experiments in a manner that is scientifically justifiable, reliable and understandable to others
- Keep lab equipment, chemicals reagents and supplies in excellent order
- Track work and compliantly order materials and reagents associated with numerous projects under multiple grants
- Learn new techniques from colleagues, develop new techniques for the lab, and teach them to others
- Review primary data with supervisor weekly
- Collaborate with other staff and perform other duties as requested by the Principal Investigator or senior lab staff
- Cell line and primary cell culture experience
- Cell isolation using density gradient centrifugation, FACS and/or MACS-based methods
- Flow cytometer operation, surface/intracellular marker staining and flow data analysis with FlowJo software
- ELISA or bead-based immunoassays
- Nucleic acid extraction, RT-PCR, PCR, Real-time qPCR, and agarose gel electrophoresis
- Mouse handling, tracking, sexing, anesthesia, blood withdraw, injection (tail vein
intravenous, intraperitoneal, footpad and subcutaneous), and dissection
The successful candidate will be:
- Team oriented and able to work in a highly collaborative and interactive work environment in order to complete complex tasks
- Able to manage multiple rapidly changing priorities and have the ability to quickly learn new skills
- Detail-oriented and well organized
Required Qualifications at this Level
- Education/Training: Work requires a bachelor's degree in botany, biology, zoology, psychology or other directly related scientific field.
- Experience: Work requires two years of research experience. A related master's degree may offset required years of experience on a 1:1 basis, e.g., a two-year master's degree in lieu of two years of experience.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Research Associate, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, United States, 14 days ago
Details Posted: 14-Feb-24 Location: Chapel Hill, North Carolina Salary: Open Categories: Academic/Faculty Medical - Research Internal Number: 274648 Vacancy ID: NF0007833 Position Summary/Descript...
Research Technician, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, United States, 1 day ago
Posting Information Posting Information Department Lineberger Compr Cancer Center-426801 Career Area Research Professionals Is this an internal only recruitment? No Posting Open Date 02/26/2024 Ap...
Research Technician (Kelada), University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, United States, 22 days ago
Posting Information Posting Information Department Genetics - 423501 Career Area Research Professionals Posting Open Date 01/29/2024 Application Deadline 02/20/2024 Position Type Temporary Staff (...
Research Technician (Kelada), University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, United States, 1 day ago
Posting Information Posting Information Department Genetics - 423501 Career Area Research Professionals Posting Open Date 01/29/2024 Application Deadline 03/11/2024 Position Type Temporary Staff (...
Research Technician, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, United States, 31 minutes ago
Posting Information Posting Information Department Marsico Lung Inst - CF Center - 426401 Career Area Research Professionals Posting Open Date 02/27/2024 Application Deadline 03/05/2024 Position T...
Admin Support Specialist, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, United States, 22 days ago
Posting Information Posting Information Department Lineberger Compr Cancer Center - 426801 Career Area Administrative/Clerical Support Posting Open Date 02/01/2024 Application Deadline 02/08/2024 ...