Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The position is full time, benefited, and located at Palomar Observatory. The position works under the supervision of the Mechanics and Grounds group supervisor. Under limited direction, position will work alone or with other members of the observatory staff to perform routine maintenance of the Palomar Observatory physical plant. Duties include, but are not limited to, cleaning and maintenance of observatory buildings, assisting others in grounds maintenance, snow/ice removal, and general janitorial duties. Position is expected to communicate effectively with the observatory’s management, staff, and the public.
Essential Job Duties
- Cleaning and surface maintenance of floors, restrooms, and public areas.
- Assisting staff as assigned in grounds maintenance and snow/ice removal.
- Non-hazardous waste collection and management.
- Opening and closing of public visitors’ facilities.
- Cryogenic storage vessel filling and transport.
- Assist with mirror cleaning and coating.
- Assist with instrument exchanges on telescopes when needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Must have some general facility/building maintenance experience.
- Must have a valid California driver’s license, and maintain one throughout the course of employment.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. of facility maintenance equipment, tools, and supplies.
- Must be able to work outside in inclement weather, in confined and/or elevated spaces, at an elevation of 6000’.
- Must be able to safely use basic tools.
- Successful completion of background check and physical exam.
- Previous experience with industrial cleaning techniques.
- Able to safely operate power cleaning equipment such as scrubbers, polishers, and carpet cleaners.
Custodian, The California State University, United States, 21 days ago
Campus: Pomona Job ID: 533427 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: November 16, 2023 Closing Date: December 1, 2023 Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9) Li...
Chef De Cuisine, California Institute of Technology, United States, 20 days ago
Details Posted: 18-Nov-23 Location: Pasadena, California Salary: Open Categories: Food Services/Hospitality/Events Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 4802333 Chef de Cuisine Caltech Job Categor...
Laboratory Technician, California Institute of Technology, United States, 15 days ago
Details Posted: 23-Nov-23 Location: Pasadena, California Salary: Open Categories: Research - Laboratory/Non-Laboratory Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 4814739 Laboratory Technician Caltech J...
Custodian (2 Positions), The California State University, United States, 27 days ago
Campus: Dominguez Hills Job ID: 533855 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: November 9, 2023 Closing Date: November 27, 2023 Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5,...
Operating Room Assistant Ii Main Operating Room Santa Monica, University of California, Los Angeles, United States, 1 day ago
JOB DUTIES Description Take on a rewarding role in a world-class health organization. The Operating Room Assistant II is under direct supervision of the Operating Room Assistant III lead, Clinical...
Anesthesia Machine Repair And Maintenance Tech Ii Pain Management Santa Monica, University of California, Los Angeles, United States, 1 day ago
JOB DUTIES Description Take on a rewarding role in a world-class health organization. Incumbent will be responsible for the periodic performance checks, maintenance and repairs of departmental ane...