The Technical Support Specialist I position is assigned to the KU Edwards Campus Technology Support Center (TSC) and is responsible for providing workstation and classroom support to all users utilizing technology on the Edwards Campus. This position works under the direct supervision of the IT Technology Coordinator. The position serves as the first point of contact for faculty, staff, students, and non-academic groups for deploying and troubleshooting AV equipment, hardware, software, PC/Mac, printers, and other technologies in support of Johnson County Educational Research Triangle (JCERT), non-JCERT, academic programs, and non-academic Event Services to provide timely technical resolution.
This position is responsible for following standard procedures (where present) and written instructions (where provided) to accomplish assigned tasks.
The position assists users via telephone, email, chat, and in person with a wide range of questions, problems, and requests related to desktop software, hardware, peripherals, network issues, and application issues.
This position may require work outside regular business hours (8am to 5pm) and may also require to work on the weekend for emergency technical support needs or scheduled events.
Work Schedule: Tuesday - Saturday 7:30am- 4:30pm
70% - Provide first-level technical support to faculty, staff, students, and non-academic groups on all hardware and software issues and classroom audio/visual equipment leveraging phone, email, chat, or in person communication. Determine the root cause of issues, and whether or not they can be resolved quickly or will require further research or escalation.
This can include:
- Support of AV and computer equipment in classrooms, labs, offices, and meeting areas throughout the Edwards Campus.
- Creating/updating trouble tickets as indicated by the workflow. Identification as to whether the technical issues encountered can be quickly resolved or need to be escalated to higher-level technical support staff.
- Meet customer requirements through first contact resolutions with excellent customer satisfaction. Continuous look to improve current business process.
- Support, install, and upgrade new and existing computer equipment, including imaging. Troubleshooting hardware and software issues for labs, faculty, staff, students, etc. Tests to isolate the source of issues.
- Preparation of classrooms and meeting spaces prior to use to ensure requested technology is available and working when requested.
- Assist with asset management by maintaining accurate hardware and software inventory information. Assist with the procurement and deployment of equipment to include the imaging of new computers. Apply software installations/upgrades and patch management to existing hardware.
- Provide updates to procedures and knowledge base articles.
- Develop broad and in-depth knowledge of software and hardware unique to the support area.
- Perform special projects and other duties as assigned.
- This position shares in responsibility for information security by following all applicable security policies and procedures.
- This position is authorized to use elevated privilege accounts in the performance of job duties.
- This position is authorized to handle sensitive or confidential data in accordance with established procedures in the performance of job duties.
- This position is authorized to manage, provision, and deprovision IT assets in accordance with established procedures in the performance of job duties.
Contact Information to Applicants
Additional Candidate Instruction
A complete application consists of:
A cover letter addressing how required qualifications are met.
3 Professional References
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
To be considered, please apply no later than Wednesday, August 21st, 2019.
Advertised Salary Range
$40,000 - $46,000
Application Review Begins
Anticipated Start Date
Univ of Kansas Edwards Campus
U-Unclassified Professional Staff
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university's programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity & Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 West Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY 9for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas medical center campuses).
Assistant Teaching Professor, Mathematics, United States, about 12 hours ago
The Department of Mathematics, University of Kansas invites applications for an Assistant Teaching Professor in calculus. Position expected to begin January 1, 2020. Ph.D. in Mathematics or Mathe...