Kansas African Studies Center
The Dean’s Office of the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences is seeking candidates for the Director of the Kansas African Studies Center.
This position is open to KU faculty members in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences only.
The director will provide leadership and oversight for all center activities as well as meeting their teaching, research, and service responsibilities as a faculty member in their home department.
This position reports to, and serves at the pleasure of, the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences.
Director Responsibilities (50%):
1. Provides oversight and leadership for all unit activities.
2. Coordinates academic programs with other units.
3. Reviews and modifies, in consultation with the unit’s Executive Committee and affiliated faculty members, the long-range planning for the unit.
4. Oversees all internal budgetary, administrative, and personnel matters.
5. Supervises and reviews the unit’s faculty and professional, academic, and University support staff.
6. Seeks enhancement of unit resources by actively seeking external funding.
7. Manages execution of all grants in the unit.
8. Develops and enhances research and educational relationships between the unit and other units across the College and University, as well as with entities outside the University where applicable.
9. Develops long-term planning for future leadership by cultivating/mentoring faculty members.
10. Executes College and University policy in the unit effectively.
11. Represents the unit and reports to the College Dean’s Office, and represents the unit to other University entities.
Faculty Responsibilities (50%):
1. Teach two courses per year.
2. Advise students, including student mentoring and providing directed readings, as time allows.
3. Supervise graduate teaching assistants, as appropriate.
4. Serve on committees that supervise and evaluate student progress.
1. Engage in scholarly research, including publishing appropriate peer-reviewed books and articles and presenting papers at professional conferences on a regular basis.
1. Provide general service to one’s home unit, the College, the University, and the profession.
Evaluation of the following requirements will be made through (1) descriptions of work experience and educational experiences in letter of application and (2) record of accomplishments and productivity addressed in c.v.:
1. Tenured appointment with the rank of Full or Associate Professor in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences.
2. Teaching experience at both the undergraduate and graduate levels and commitment to teaching excellence.
3. Established record of scholarly achievement with the promise of continued productivity.
4. Ability to communicate effectively and to manage interpersonal relations.
5. Ability to serve successfully as an academic leader and team builder, developing and enhancing research and educational relationships among faculty and between the center and affiliated units.
1. Rank of Full Professor.
2. Demonstrated excellence in administrative and management skills.
3. Demonstrated commitment to interdisciplinary and international studies in teaching, research, and service.
4. Experience with KU and KUCR administrative procedures.
5. Experience in seeking outside funding and managing multiple projects successfully.
Contact Information to Applicants
Jessica Gerschultz, Chair, Search Committee
Additional Candidate Instruction
Application materials should include:
1. a statement of the candidate’s goals and vision for the center;
2. a curriculum vitae containing information on accomplishments in research, teaching, service, and administration.
In addition to the materials above, learning about each applicant's contribution and engagement in areas of diversity is an important part of KU's mission. As a result, applicants will be presented the following question at the time of application. The response must be within 4,000 characters or less.
- Describe your experiences working with people from diverse backgrounds, and explain how those experiences reflect your commitments to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Application Review Begins
Anticipated Start Date
Conditions of Employment
Serve at the Pleasure
University of Kansas Lawrence Campus
Limited Term End Date
Advertised Salary Range
Director compensation consists of an administrative supplement added to the academic-year (9-month) salary and additional summer salary compensation; the supplement and summer salary are removed when the director steps down from the administrative role.
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university's programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity & Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 West Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY 9for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas medical center campuses).
Regulatory Affairs Specialist , Baylor College of Medicine, United States, 8 days ago
Title: Regulatory Affairs Specialist Division: Pediatrics Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Work Location: Houston, TX Salary Range: $46,176 - $60,000 FLSA Status: Exempt Requisitio...
Senior Research Coordinator , Baylor College of Medicine, United States, about 5 hours ago
Title: Senior Research Coordinator Division: Pediatrics Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Work Location: Houston, TX Salary Range: $51,256 - $65,200 FLSA Status: Exempt Requisition ...
Assistant, Associate, Or Full Professor (Infectious Disease) , Baylor College of Medicine, United States, 5 days ago
Title: Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor (Infectious Disease) Division: Medicine Work Location: Houston, TX Requisition ID: 7881 Summary The Section of Infectious Diseases in the Department ...
Program Director, Pediatric Developmental Behavioral Pediatrics , Mc Govern Medical School, University of Texas Health Science Center, United States, about 19 hours ago
The Department of Pediatrics, McGovern Medical School, Houston, Texas, is seeking a Program Director for Developmental-Behavioral Pediatrics. The McGovern Medical School is a component of The Univ...
Instructor Nurse Practitioner , Baylor College of Medicine, United States, about 5 hours ago
Title: Instructor - Nurse Practitioner Division: Pediatrics Schedule: Work Location: Houston, TX Salary Range: FLSA Status: Requisition ID: 7771 Summary The Department of Pediatrics, Section of Cr...
Director Of Student Accessibility Center, University of Houston, United States, about 15 hours ago
Director of Student Accessibility Center - (STA007696) Director of Student Accessibility Center Organization : H0216 Student Accessibility Center Description Directs all aspects of the Justin Dart...