Chairperson of the Economics Department within the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences.
Provides leadership and oversight for all department activities, as well as fulfilling teaching, research, and service responsibilities as a faculty member in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences.
Academic-year salary, plus an administrative supplement and summer salary, as determined by the Dean of the College.
Term of approximately 5 years, with possibility of renewal pending satisfactory performance and mutual willingness to continue.
Duties and Responsibilities
Chairperson of Economics (0.50 FTE)
1. Provides oversight and leadership for all unit activities.
2. Administers the undergraduate and graduate academic programs of the unit.
3. Reviews and modifies, in consultation with unit governance and faculty, the long-range planning for the unit.
4. Oversees all internal budgetary, administrative, and personnel matters.
5. Supervises and reviews the unit’s faculty and professional, academic, and University support staff, and supports faculty and staff development.
6. Seeks enhancement of all unit resources by actively seeking external funding.
7. Develops and enhances research and educational relationships between the unit and other units across the College and University, as well as with agencies outside the University, governmental, public, or private.
8. Develops long-term planning for future leadership by cultivating/mentoring future faculty members.
9. Executes College and University policy in the unit effectively.
10. Represents the unit and reports to CLAS, and represents the unit to other University entities.
Faculty Member (0.50 FTE)
1. Teaches courses in his/her field of specialty.
2. Advises students, including student mentoring and providing directed readings.
3. Supervises graduate teaching assistants, as assigned.
4. Serves on committees that supervise and evaluate student progress.
1. Engages in scholarly research, including publishing appropriate peer-reviewed books and articles and presenting papers at professional conferences on a regular basis.
1. Provides general service to one’s home unit, the College, the University, the state, and the profession.
Evaluation of the following requirements will be made through (1) descriptions of work experience and educational experience in letter of application and (2) record of accomplishments and productivity addressed in c.v.
1. Tenured appointment with the rank of Full Professor or Associate Professor in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences.
2. Demonstrated ability to serve as an academic leader and team builder, developing and enhancing research and educational relationships among faculty and between the unit and its affiliated units.
3. Teaching experience at both the undergraduate and graduate levels and commitment to teaching excellence.
4. Strong record of scholarly achievement, as evidenced by an established program of research with the promise of continued productivity.
5. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and to manage interpersonal relations, maintaining civility and respect among faculty, staff, and students.
1. Rank of Full Professor.
2. Excellence in administrative and management skills.
3. Commitment to interdisciplinary and international scope in teaching, research, and service.
4. Experience with KU and KUCR administrative procedures.
5. Experience in seeking outside funding and managing multiple projects.
Additional Candidate Instruction
***INTERNAL TO KU FACULTY IN THE ECONOMICS DEPARTMENT ONLY***
Application materials should include:
1) A statement of the candidate's goals and vision for the department;
2) A curriculum vitae containing information on accomplishments in research, teaching, service, and administration; and
3) The contact information for three references who could speak to the qualifications and preparedness of the candidate to lead the department.
In addition to the materials above, learning about each applicant's contribution and engagement in areas of diversity is an important part of KU's mission. As a result, applicants will be presented the following questions at the time of application. Each response must be within 4,000 characters or less.
Applications are due October 25, 2020. Review of applications will begin Monday, October 26, 2020.
Application Review Begins
Anticipated Start Date
Conditions of Employment
Limited Term, Serve at the Pleasure
University of Kansas - Lawrence
Limited Term End Date
Advertised Salary Range
Chairperson compensation consists of an administrative supplement added to the academic-year (9-month) salary and additional summer salary compensation; the supplement and summer salary is removed when the chairperson steps down from the administrative ro
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university's programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity & Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 West Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY 9for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas medical center campuses).
Range/Wildlife Management Faculty Department Of Biological Sciences, Fort Hays State University, United States, about 2 hours ago
Department Biological Sciences Job Posting Title Range/Wildlife Management Faculty - Department of Biological Sciences Job Description One-year appointment for nine-month faculty position to start...
Faculty Botany Department Of Biological Sciences, Fort Hays State University, United States, about 2 hours ago
Department Biological Sciences Job Posting Title Faculty - Botany - Department of Biological Sciences Job Description One-year appointment for nine-month faculty position to start Fall 2021. Teac...
Assistant Professor, Department Of Nursing, Fort Hays State University, United States, about 2 hours ago
Department Nursing Job Posting Title Assistant Professor, Department of Nursing Job Description Position Description: Fort Hays State University (FHSU) Department of Nursing, as part of the Colle...
Assistant Director Of Student Engagement, Fort Hays State University, United States, about 2 hours ago
Department Student Engagement Unit Job Posting Title Assistant Director of Student Engagement Job Description Position Summary Fort Hays State University seeks an Assistant Director of Student Eng...
Assistant Director Of Retention And Student Success, Fort Hays State University, United States, 10 days ago
Department Retention and Success Center Job Posting Title Assistant Director of Retention and Student Success Job Description The Assistant Director of Retention and Student Success will be respon...
Admissions Counselor, Fort Hays State University, United States, about 2 hours ago
Department Admissions Job Posting Title Admissions Counselor Job Description Fort Hays State University is seeking applications for an Admissions Counselor opening. Admissions Counselors are base...