Supports the University’s student teaching laboratories by providing the appropriate materials and supplies and/or teaching/instruction for science laboratory courses including, but not limited to, biology, chemistry, forensics, and physics.
- The position of Instructional Specialist is hourly full-time, but approved work hours are subject to the needs of the School of Mathematical and Natural Sciences Department.
- Must be able to accommodate a flexible work schedule, including evenings/weekends, as required; assigned duties may vary semester-to-semester.
- Typically, the School requires Instructional Specialist support only during the academic year.
Math & Natural Sciences Div
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$20.00 per hour
- Prepares/refreshes/tears down/cleans/organizes/maintains materials/chemicals/supplies/equipment for college laboratory courses including, but not limited to, chemistry, forensics, biology, and physics.
- Maintain and restock instructional laboratory supplies for students.
- Prepare solutions, media, and cultures for instructional experiments.
- Collect all instructional laboratory biological and chemical waste for proper disposal.
- Maintain preparatory documents for assigned laboratory courses.
- Perform end of semester clean-up duties, as assigned by supervisor.
- Assist student worker/ lab aides in laboratory procedures, maintenance, and safety, as needed.
- Inform supervisor of any service needs for the instructional laboratories.
- Inform supervisor of any safety concerns for the instructional laboratories.
- Instructs/ teaches college laboratory courses, as assigned.
- Works closely with laboratory coordinator and assigned course coordinator/faculty to determine laboratory course needs.
- Adheres to/maintains support/assistance of the University’s laboratory safety program including hazardous waste management and chemical hygiene.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment; OR, Four years of progressively responsible instructional or subject work experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience preparing for and providing instructional assistance for science laboratory courses.
- Demonstrated relevant knowledge of biology, and/or chemistry, and/or forensics, and/or physics laboratory courses.
- Knowledge of and skilled in the proper and safe handling and disposal of hazardous materials.
- Evidence of effective communication and problem-solving skills.
- Evidence of time management and self-motivation skills.
- Experience in teaching chemistry, and/or biology, and/or physics, and/or forensic science courses
Regularly performs tasks in a standard laboratory environment which may include the potential exposure to hazardous materials/equipment/microorganisms. Will also be subject to standard office conditions, i.e. extended periods of sitting; pushing/pulling/lifting up to 20 pounds; standing, bending, reaching and walking, both short and extended distances.
Our faculty work to resolve key issues faced by our civilization, which are addressed through our research, teaching, and in our community outreach. We seek to infuse our students and the greater community with the ideals of impact, excellence, and access. We strive to create an inclusive student experience with extensive interdisciplinary opportunities. At the core of this experience is the opportunity for our students to work side-by-side with our faculty conducting authentic research in STEM disciplines. Our students are proficient in scientific inquiry and critical thinking, and ready to apply their skills to real life situations. In the School of Mathematical and Natural Sciences we strive to educate and empower future STEM scholars and innovators.
Our 100+ faculty members include statisticians, mathematicians, computer scientists, forensic scientists, biologists, biotechnologists, and other natural science disciplines. Our research is funded by multiple federal and state agencies and we are one of the fastest growing research enterprises at the Arizona State University.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU PD at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources .
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
Laboratory Technician (Autoclave), UNIVERSITY OF SURREY, United Kingdom, 16 days ago
FHMS Faculty Admin Location: Guildford Salary: £26,444 to £27,979 minimum per annum Post Type: Full Time Closing Date: 23.59 hours BST on Sunday 24 September 2023 Reference: 045223 The University ...
Specialist In The Chemical Technology And Biotechnology Research Group, Intitute of Industrial Organic Chemistry, Poland, 13 days ago
8 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Intitute of Industrial Organic Chemistry Research Field Chemistry Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Poland Application Deadline...
Assistant Professor (Tenure Track) Soil Chemistry And Chemical Soil Quality, Wageningen University and Research Center, Netherlands, about 5 hours ago
Your job Do you have a passion for unearthing the secrets of soil chemistry? Are you ready to lead, inspire, and make a lasting impact? Then this may be the perfect opportunity for you! The Soil C...
Dtu Tenure Track Assistant Professor/Associate Professor In Waste Management, Resource Engineering And Circularity Dtu Sustain, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 9 days ago
If you want to boost your career as researcher and educator within one or more areas of waste management, resource engineering and circularity, here is the chance! We offer two opportunities to jo...
Lab Coordinator, Ave Maria University, United States, about 23 hours ago
PRIMARY PURPOSE: Primary function is to provide support for the instructional and research laboratory components of the programs in the Science departments. The Lab Director will organize the vari...
Senior Laboratory Specialist, University of Pittsburgh, United States, 1 day ago
Senior Laboratory Specialist Med-Medicine - Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh - (23006571) Conducts complex laboratory experiments, high-level tests, and a variety of routine to complex scientific tasks. Pe...