Please make sure to read the job posting in its entirety as it reflects both the University roles and responsibilities, followed by the specific description.
13764 Urban Labs Core Administration
About the Unit
By 2050, the global urban population will nearly double to 6.4 billion. This unprecedented growth in the global urban population creates incredible opportunities but also intensifies the most difficult problems cities face, such as concentrated poverty, crime, poor-quality schooling, and pollution. The University of Chicago founded Urban Labs to help address these challenges. Urban Labs is a set of highly synergistic labs focused on undertaking inquiry and having impact on five essential dimensions of urban life: crime, education, health, poverty, and energy & environment. Urban Labs partners with cities to identify and rigorously evaluate the policies and programs with the greatest potential to improve human lives at scale. Urban Labs’ evidence-based approach gives policymakers and practitioners the knowledge they need to effectively achieve the greatest social good per dollar spent. In sum, UChicago Urban Labs: •Identifies promising solutions to urban challenges • Tests the most promising urban policies and programs • Scales-up the most effective and cost-efficient policies and programs For more information about the UChicago Urban Labs, go to http://urbanlabs.uchicago.edu/. The Chicago Public Schools Data Liaison provides strategic administrative support to the CPS Research Office and its key Research Partners. The role serves two main functions: managing the provision of CPS data for external research, and providing guidance and support to the Research Partners in their use of CPS data across their research project portfolios. The Data Liaison is primarily embedded with the CPS Research Office, but also works directly with research and administrative staff at Urban Labs, the University of Chicago Consortium on School Research, Chapin Hall at the University of Chicago, American Institutes for Research, and Northwestern University. In addition to providing guidance and support to these Research Partners during the development of new research projects with CPS, the Data Liaison maintains comprehensive documentation on CPS data used for research.
Responsible for all aspects of research projects and research facilities. Plans and conducts clinical and non-clinical research; facilitates and monitors daily activities of clinical trials or research projects. Directs engineering and technical support activities to develop and maintain tools and computational methods needed to gather and analyze data.
Career Track and Job Level
Oversees all aspects of management, scientific technological development, and operations for major research projects or research facilities. Ensures compliance of research activities with institutional, state, and federal regulatory policies, procedures, directives and mandates. Writes articles, reports and manuscripts. Presents research findings at meetings and/or conferences.
P2: Requires knowledge and experience in own discipline; still acquiring higher-level knowledge and skills. Builds knowledge of the organization, processes and customers. Solves a range of straightforward problems. Analyzes possible solutions using standard procedures. Receives a moderate level of guidance and direction.
The job participates in scientific research projects. Ensures compliance of research activities with institutional, state, and federal regulatory policies, procedures, directives and mandates. Analyzes possible solutions using standard procedures. Writes articles, reports and manuscripts. Assists in drafting presentations on research findings.
1) Applies research principles and relevant subject matter knowledge relevant to administer a research project. With a moderate level of direction, manages lab and/or research-related duties and tasks. Helps develop, design and conduct research projects according to plan., 2) Supports data collection and analytical needs of research projects. Conducts literature reviews and helps write reports and manuscripts. Ensures project compliance with different policies, procedures, directives, and mandates., 3) Takes responsibility for the following non-laboratory duties: transcribing and coding data; developing data collection instruments; presenting research; and recruiting and scheduling research subjects. Acquires higher-level skills and knowledge in the process., 4) Takes responsibility for the following laboratory duties: recognizing abnormal results and varying conditions or procedures to correct problems; setting up and performing experiments. Analyze the meaning, significance, causes, and effects of the subject., 5) Performs other related work as needed.
1) Fill external researcher data requests by developing, testing, and executing queries and reports of data from CPS sources.
2) Perform testing and validation of data quality and integrity prior to delivery to external researchers.
3) Documents CPS approval for external data requests; maintains external data request systems.
4) Deliver data and reports to external researchers with documentation and context for understanding and interpreting data.
5) Consult with Research Partner staff about data needs, and with CPS staff on how to best meet these needs, as projects using CPS data are being developed.
6) Develop and maintain an inventory of external research projects using CPS data, tracking information regarding status, timeline, and data request fulfillment.
7) Serve as liaison between Research Partners and CPS, keeping staff in all organizations updated on data needs and research activities.
8) Develop and maintain data documentation (data dictionaries, wikis, etc.) in collaboration with CPS and the Research Partners as they work with and learn about the data, and as data availability and characteristics change.
9) Work closely with CPS staff and Research Partners to build a common understanding and greater coherence in the use of CPS data for research purposes.
10) Spend time onsite at Research Partner offices, including Urban Labs in the Loop and at the Consortium and Chapin Hall's offices at the University of Chicago's Hyde Park campus.
1) Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, prioritize and meet tight deadlines
2) Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
3) Ability to develop and manage relationships within and across organizations
4) A commitment to education reform
5) Attention to detail and exceptional organizational skill
6) Ability to take initiative and a proactive approach to tasks and projects
7) Ability to execute sound judgment and maintain confidentiality
Education, Experience, and Certifications
Minimum requirements include a college or university degree in related field.
Minimum requirements include knowledge and skills developed through 2-5 years of work experience in a related job discipline.
1) Bachelor's degree
1) Minimum of two years’ experience in a professional setting, such as an office, school, nonprofit, or research organization.
2) Strong knowledge of SQL, databases, data structures, and data warehouse practices OR a statistical package such as such as SAS (preferred), Stata, R, or Python.
3) Experience gained in school counts toward requirement.
4) Experience in data analysis working with large data sets.
5) Working knowledge of statistics and research methods.
2) Cover Letter
3) Writing Sample
4) Unofficial Transcript from the highest degree program received.
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application.
Depends on Qualifications
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Drug Test Required
Health Screen Required
Motor Vehicle Record Inquiry Required
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity /Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form .
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu . Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
Assistant Director, Regional Representative Chicago, Purdue University, United States, 6 days ago
Job Summary As an Assistant Director of Admissions you will; assist the Office of Admissions in meeting its enrollment goals by actively participating in recruitment and programming initiatives ta...
Full Time Tenure Track Faculty Physics, City Colleges of Chicago, United States, about 7 hours ago
Full-Time Tenure Track Faculty - Physics - WIL0000986 Duties and Responsibilities FULL-TIME TENURE TRACK FACULTY – PHYSICS WILBUR WRIGHT COLLEGE The Physical Sciences & Engineering Department of W...
Eeo/Labor & Employee Relations Specialist, City Colleges of Chicago, United States, about 7 hours ago
EEO/Labor & Employee Relations Specialist - DIS0001068 Duties and Responsibilities EEO/Labor & Employee Relations Specialist District Office City Colleges of Chicago (CCC), the largest community ...
Coordinator Workforce Equity Initiative Grant (Part Time), City Colleges of Chicago, United States, about 7 hours ago
Coordinator-Workforce Equity Initiative Grant (Part Time) - OLI0000767 Duties and Responsibilities COORDINATOR - WORKFORCE EQUITY INITIATIVE OLIVE-HARVEY COLLEGE (GRANT FUNDED / PART TIME) Olive-H...
Compensation Analyst Pt, City Colleges of Chicago, United States, about 7 hours ago
Compensation Analyst-PT - DIS0001069 Duties and Responsibilities Compensation Analyst-PT District Office City Colleges of Chicago (CCC) is made up of seven colleges, the largest community college ...
Director Grants Management, City Colleges of Chicago, United States, about 7 hours ago
Director - Grants Management - DIS0001067 Duties and Responsibilities Director of Grants Management District Office City Colleges of Chicago (CCC), the largest community college system in Illinoi...