Apply now Job no:532551
Work type:Classified Staff
Categories:Information Technology, Computer and Information Science
Department: Information Services
Classification: Info Technology Consultant 2
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: $20.28 - $37.59 per hour
Review of Applications Begins
(Updated) September 21, 2023; position open until filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
To be considered for this position, submit a complete application that includes an online application and resume showing that you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications.
Information Services (IS) is the central information technology unit at the University of Oregon and provides wide ranging services to campus. Information Services consists of four major functional areas: Customer Experience, which serves as the key contact point for interactions with campus clients and customers; Applications & Middleware, which manages and supports applications, integration services, identity management and data management; Information Security, which helps protect virtual or physical information; and Technology Infrastructure, which provides administration and support for the software, hardware, and services needed to support the campus IT environment. Information Services also includes the Advanced Network Technology Center. IS works closely with the Network for Education and Research in Oregon.
Established in 1876, the University of Oregon offers a breadth and depth of curricula with more than 270 academic programs and provides the opportunity to work at a respected research university with a strong holistic, liberal arts foundation. The UO also has a history of political and social involvement that embraces diverse beliefs, cultures, and values, and it is committed to environmental responsibility.
The university is also proud of the Phil and Penny Knight Campus for Accelerating Scientific Impact, an initiative specifically designed to fast-track scientific discoveries and the process of turning those discoveries into innovations that improve the quality of life for people in Oregon, the nation and beyond. Information Services collaborates with Research and Innovation and our schools and colleges to support the research, teaching, and learning mission of the university.
Eugene is the home of the University of Oregon. Located in the lush Willamette Valley, Eugene is well-known for outdoor pursuits like running, cycling, rafting, and fishing, as well as arts, music, crafts, brewing, winemaking, and community-supported agriculture. With branches in Portland and on the Oregon coast, the UO is deeply connected to Oregon's natural and cultural treasures.
This position will be located at the new UO Portland campus. Nestled in a historic northeast Portland neighborhood, the new UO Portland campus offers a community feel not far from urban amenities, like the downtown city center and the Portland International Airport. With more than 20 buildings and nearly 400,000 square feet, the campus will have University of Oregon Portland academic, research and administrative programs, as well as student housing and eventually onsite dining and recreation opportunities. A lush canopy of trees, an outdoor amphitheater on the green, and plenty of pathways tie together each part of campus over walkable four blocks.
Reporting to the Manager User Support Services - Academic Central in Portland, this position will take a central role in handling technology support requests from faculty and staff supported by User Support Services. They will act as a primary contact and point of escalation for a broad range of complex issues including provisioning and troubleshooting of computers and peripherals, network interfaces, operating systems, productivity and enterprise applications, and cyber security and general orientations and Audio/Video setup for Classes/Meetings/Events.
This position will often work independently to come up with new alternative solutions that support the long and short-term goals of all represented users and departments in both the Portland and Eugene areas. They will fulfill different roles within multiple teams as needed.
This classification requires a basic foundation of knowledge and skills of technology and information systems generally obtained through an AA degree in computer science, information systems, educational technology, communications, or related fields, or similar certified course work in applicable fields of study and at least one year of related work experience.
• Excellent problem-solving skills
• An ability to analyze information and diagnose situations and configurations to maximize the functionality of hardware and software systems
• Excellent communication skills and ability to disseminate information verbally, in written form and across an array of multimedia types
• Ability to work cooperatively and communicate effectively with faculty, staff and students from a variety of diverse backgrounds
• Maintain a respectful workplace and model a positive and proactive attitude
• The ability to defuse difficult or complex situations when working with external customers and coworkers
• Experience solving problems with vendors, outside companies, and agencies in the context of system compatibility and behavior. Including the assessment of new tools for technicians and customers
• Ability to assess users’ skill level and communicate appropriately to their level of understanding in both written and verbal form
• Ability to translate technical information to nontechnical people, including Zoom, Office Products, Crestron control systems and Tools relating to hardware troubleshooting and both Mac and PC screen and audio system management
• Ability to apply a broad knowledge of computer and AV systems to successful live and recorded Classes and Events with a special focus on troubleshooting connectivity issues relating to Video and Audio while acting as lead technical AV staff with wide operational discretion
• Experience managing customer support requests using an IT Service Management system
• Experience and knowledge working in higher education IT
• Experience with enterprise device management, using enterprise device management tools such as SCCM and JAMF
• Experience with supporting end user computers in a professional work environment
• Familiarity and experience with videoconferencing concepts and technologies
• Experience with project management concepts and practices
• Experience with Zoom and AV Systems for Video Conferencing
• Experience with Analog and Digital control systems and wiring used with Extron/Crestron hardware and software that is used with Zoom and other streaming technologies
FLSA Exempt: No
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background inquiry.
This is a classified position represented by the SEIU Local 503, Oregon Public Employees Union.
The University of Oregon is proud to offer a robust benefits package to eligible employees, including health insurance, retirement plans, and paid time off. For more information about benefits, visit http://hr.uoregon.edu/careers/about-benefits .
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the ADA. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status. The University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. To request an accommodation in connection with the application process, please contact us at email@example.com or 541-346-5112.
UO prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by UO policy. Questions may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office of Civil Rights Compliance, or to the Office for Civil Rights. Contact information, related policies, and complaint procedures are listed on the statement of non-discrimination .
In compliance with federal law, the University of Oregon prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and services. The Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://clery.uoregon.edu/annual-campus-security-and-fire-safety-report .
Archaeologist I, AECOM, United States, 21 days ago
Company Description Work with Us. Change the World. At AECOM, we're delivering a better world. Whether improving your commute, keeping the lights on, providing access to clean water, or transformi...
Research Technologist 2, Coffin Lab Neuroscience, Vancouver Campus, Washington State University, United States, 16 days ago
Available Title(s): 323I-YN_CS_NPS - Research Technologist 2 Business Title: Research Technologist 2, Coffin Lab-Neuroscience, Vancouver Campus Employee Type: Classified Time Type: Full time Posit...
Part Time Cybersecurity Professor, Clark College, United States, 22 days ago
Details Posted: 17-Nov-23 Location: Clark College Main Campus, Vancouver Salary: Open Categories: Academic/Faculty Internal Number: 4276461 Can you create and maintain a welcoming and supportive e...
Principal Technical Consultant, Archaeologist (Principal Level), Environmental Resources Management, United States, 21 days ago
Principal Technical Consultant, Archaeologist (Principal Level) page is loaded Principal Technical Consultant, Archaeologist (Principal Level) Apply locations Irvine, California Bellingham, Washin...
Part Time Biology Professor Continuous Pool, Clark College, United States, 24 days ago
Details Posted: 14-Nov-23 Location: Clark College Main Campus, Vancouver Salary: Open Categories: Academic/Faculty Internal Number: 4277906 Can you create and maintain a welcoming and supportive e...
Program Specialist 2 Transitional Studies, Clark College, United States, 10 days ago
Details Posted: 28-Nov-23 Location: Clark College Main Campus, Vancouver Salary: Open Categories: Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 4287687 Are you excited to support students to achieve their...