Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
Under supervision from the HVAC Supervisor, the successful candidate will act as an HVAC Mechanic on a team of mechanics and mechanics assistants. The HVAC Mechanic will perform maintenance, calibration, and installation on all campus HVAC equipment and related systems required to ensure proper operation and reliable system performance.
This is an Essential Reporting position. An employee designated as essential reporting has essential job skills that are needed for response and recovery, and is expected to report to campus as soon as possible.
- Utilize Caltech’s Integrated Workplace Management System software (AiM) to complete planned and corrective maintenance work orders.
- Enhance customer satisfaction by establishing regular communications regarding maintenance and repair activities for affected discipline(s).
- Work closely with the Facilities Asset Manager in the inventory and asset information of HVAC systems and related equipment.
- Work closely with the Facilities Management Controls shop and Building System Operators to maximize system troubleshooting efficiency.
- Respond to trouble calls, emergency conditions, and analyze routine work requests for timely execution and completion.
- Assure compliance with applicable building codes and Caltech Design Guidelines.
- Manage Caltech resources for optimum productivity.
- Adhere to campus fire and life safety procedures, including confined space, lock-out & tag-out, use of PPE, and so forth.
- Maintain technical proficiency with new equipment technologies, regulatory requirements, and engineering advances in improved operational performance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of five years journeyman level experience in the HVAC trade.
- Expertise with all test instruments and tools of the trade. Ability to correctly and skillfully operate the various standard tools and equipment of the HVAC trade, e.g., test lamps, ammeters, voltmeters, torches, refrigerant reclamation, etc.
- Ability to read, interpret, and understand technical language in mechanical drawings and diagrams.
- Ability to modify and/or adapt designs, procedures, or methods to make necessary alterations and modifications.
- Communicate professionally with the members of the Caltech community in all situations. Must maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Software proficiency in MS Word, Excel, MS Project, and Outlook.
- Ability to work independently and follow through on assignments.
- Skill in estimating material and labor requirements to accomplish tasks.
- Ability to work various shifts, including overtime and weekends.
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain by the date of hire a valid California driver’s license and maintain it throughout the course of employment.
- Strong English oral and written communication skills are required. Ability to use correct punctuation, vocabulary, spelling, and sentence structure as well as follow written instructions.
- Knowledge of building codes, regulatory requirements, licensing, and inspections.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds on a daily basis, bend in all directions, climb stairs and ladders, squeeze with arms and hands, operate machinery using hands, and work outdoors in all kinds of weather.
- Ability to distinguish among colors and work in confined spaces.
- AS degree in an appropriate construction or maintenance related technical or engineering field from an accredited college or university, or equivalent on-the-job training and experience.
- Proficiency with Asset Works AiM and Kronos or similar preventive maintenance and timekeeping software is a plus.
- Strong teamwork, project management, and problem resolution skills.
- Proficiency with Vibration Analysis.
Assistant Professor Of Environmental Science And Engineering, Caltech Environmental Science and Engineering, United States, about 10 hours ago
The Department of Environmental Science and Engineering (ESE) within the Division of Engineering and Applied Science at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) invites applications for a ...
Cms Tenure Track Faculty Position, California Institute of Technology, United States, about 14 hours ago
The Computing and Mathematical Sciences (CMS) Department at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) invites applications for tenure-track faculty appointments. Exceptional applications at...
Supervising Electrician, The California State University, United States, 5 days ago
Campus: Pomona Job ID: 505964 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: October 13, 2021 Closing Date: October 27, 2021 Benefits Link: Skilled Crafts (Unit 6) Lin...
Director, Facilities Design & Construction, The California State University, United States, 24 days ago
Campus: Pomona Job ID: 63203 Job Title: Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: September 23, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: Management Personnel Plan (MPP) Link to Apply Online: ht...
Electrician, The California State University, United States, 25 days ago
Campus: Long Beach Job ID: 505186 Job Title: Appointment Type: Temporary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: September 22, 2021 Closing Date: October 13, 2021 Benefits Link: Skilled Crafts (Unit 6) ...
Laborer, The California State University, United States, 3 days ago
Campus: Long Beach Job ID: 505971 Job Title: Appointment Type: Temporary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: October 14, 2021 Closing Date: November 4, 2021 Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9) Li...