Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
This position will report to the Assistant Director of Undergraduate Housing and will provide administrative assistance and support to the Institute’s housing program including, but not limited to, on and off-campus housing assignments and policy, procedure implementation, campus housing billing processes, and maintenance requests. Responsibilities include data entry, managing internal/external communications and working with other Caltech departments and outside vendors to coordinate the day to day office operations.
This is an Essential Reporting position. An employee designated as essential reporting has essential job skills that are needed for response and recovery and is expected to report to Campus as soon as possible.
- Provides day-to-day administrative and clerical support.
- Provides customer service to internal and external customers; assesses and determines priority of requests, tracks and follows-up on progress, answers detailed questions via phone, email, or walk in, and addresses customer complaints in a timely manner.
- Performs daily data entry into various databases.
- Processes maintenance work orders and contacts vendors to schedule needed repairs.
- Provides paperwork and access to vendors and internal staff for on/off campus work orders.
- Screens and routes mail/inquiries; processes and maintains highly sensitive and confidential information; sends out mass email notifications.
- Acts as liaison between department and utility companies.
- Assists with special projects including occupancy turnover, summer conferences and major rehabs.
- Maintains calendars, schedules requests/appointments and coordinates tasks and/or projects, including preventative and deferred maintenance.
- Receives, processes and pays all housing utility bills, such as gas, electric, water, trash and telephone.
- Assists senior staff with the purchase of maintenance and office supplies, etc.
- Administers lock out process.
- Files applications, inspection forms and other documents using basic filing systems.
- Documents, processes and collects damage charges from residents.
- Prepares, processes and collect contracts, leases and rent payments from residents and departments paying with an account number via web internal charge.
- Runs daily credit card batch reports and processes payment deposits.
- Assists with housing assignment processes for undergraduate and graduate students and postdocs.
- Maintains general front office operations and overall welcoming appearance of front office, including replenishing forms, flyers, applications, office supplies, etc.
- Helps to identify and improve inter-departmental procedures and best practices.
- Responsible for department records retention.
- Collects and enters emotional support animal documentation and correspondence.
- Partners with Office of Residential Experience and Caltech Accessibility Services to administer emotional support animal policy.
- Assists in administering the Emergency Action Plan as it pertains to Housing Department (Organizational Critical Status).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must have a High School Diploma.
- Must have at least 3 years of responsible administrative/clerical experience.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a busy, fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Must possess strong follow through and follow up skills.
- Must be highly organized, detail oriented and proactive.
- Requires good problem solving skills.
- Awareness and sensitivity to special interest groups, parents, students, faculty, and staff.
- Must have patience and be able to deal with people under stressful circumstances.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong customer service skills and an effective communicator with those of diverse backgrounds.
- Must be a team player and willing to work after hours and weekends as needed.
- Previous university housing experience.
- Previous experience with Filemaker software.
Director, Stem Cell And Embryo Engineering Center, California Institute of Technology, United States, 18 days ago
Details Posted: 21-May-23 Location: Pasadena, California Salary: Open Categories: Academic/Faculty Biological/Biomedical Sciences Internal Number: 3089208 Director, Stem Cell and Embryo Engineerin...
Archival Processing Intern, California Institute of Technology, United States, 29 days ago
Details Posted: 10-May-23 Location: Pasadena, California Salary: Open Categories: Academic/Faculty Library/Information Sciences Internal Number: 4172889 Archival Processing Intern Caltech Job Cate...
Research Technician, California Institute of Technology, United States, 15 days ago
Details Posted: 24-May-23 Location: Pasadena, California Salary: Open Categories: Academic/Faculty Biological/Biomedical Sciences Internal Number: 4209317 Research Technician Caltech Job Category:...
Systems Engineer, California Institute of Technology, United States, 1 day ago
Systems Engineer Caltech Job Category: Fulltime Regular Exempt Overtime Eligible: Exempt Benefits Eligible: Benefit Based Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshal...
Facilities Operations Summer Assistant, California Institute of Technology, United States, 25 days ago
Details Posted: 14-May-23 Location: Pasadena, California Salary: Open Categories: Facilities//Maintenance/Trades Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 4185775 Facilities Operations Summer Assistan...
It Summer Intern, California Institute of Technology, United States, 26 days ago
Details Posted: 13-May-23 Location: Pasadena, California Salary: Open Categories: Facilities//Maintenance/Trades Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 4182366 IT Summer Intern Caltech Job Category...