Princeton University’s Plasma Physics Laboratory has an exciting position opening in the Information Technology Department for an IT professional specializing in High Performance Computing (HPC) Systems. The successful candidate will be responsible for the monitoring, implementation, and maintenance of research grade high performance computing environments, as well as maintaining close collaboration with the research community at PPPL. The ideal candidate must have strong written and verbal communications skills.
The Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is a world-class fusion energy research laboratory managed by Princeton University for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. PPPL is dedicated to developing the scientific and technological knowledge base for fusion energy. The Laboratory advances the fields of fusion energy and plasma physics research to develop the scientific understanding and key innovations needed to realize fusion as an energy source for the world.
- Architect appropriate high performance computing solutions, based on the close collaboration with the PPPL Computational Sciences Department and applicable research computing end users. Design of these systems should meet various project and user needs, while facilitating the overall research mission of the laboratory. (25%)
- Troubleshoots and resolves complex software, operating system, and network problems and determine whether the problem is system-related, hardware, software, or the end–user. Relies upon extensive knowledge of server and desktop systems, vendor supplied diagnostic tools and web-based information to determine the reason for the malfunction and the appropriate solution to resolve the problem. Must be able to make independent decisions to best resolve the problems. (20%)
- Develops, tests, implements, installs, and maintains the operating system and the related software for proper server system operation. (15%)
- Assists in the troubleshooting of end-user system issues to help maintain consistent lab-wide computing. (15%)
- Troubleshoot and maintain cyber-security issues pertaining to internal and external firewall and system configurations and settings to meet government cyber-security requirements and also provide consistent and secure networking lab-wide. Participates in the incident response process and assessment of cyber security requirements and controls, log reviews and forensics and vulnerability scanning and remediation. (10%)
- Documents server system problems related to hardware, software, and setup of prescribed formats, resolving them independently or referring them to the immediate supervisor as needed. (10%)
- Provide recommendations for non-desktop hardware based on detailed project specifications and changing environment needs. Other duties as assigned. (5%)
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- 5+ years experience in managing High Performance Computing environments
- Knowledge of parallel file systems (such as Ceph) and high speed interconnects (Infiniband, ethernet fabrics)
- Strong knowledge of job scheduling technology, such as SLURM
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong multitasking skills
- Experience with configuration management systems, such as Puppet or Ansible
- Experience with automated deployment systems (e.g. Cobbler)
- Ability to work with and follow guidelines set forth in security benchmarks, such as CIS
- Ability to implement technical solutions for specialized software and research data requirements
- General knowledge of networking equipment and techniques
- May need to be able to lift heavy objects less than 50 lbs. and run cables in a datacenter environment (under floor tiles, in server racks, etc.)
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from participation in certain foreign government talent recruitment programs. All PPPL employees are required to disclose any participation in a foreign government talent recruitment program and may be required to withdraw from such programs to remain employed under the DOE Contract.
Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are, therefore, unable or limited in your ability to use or access this system, you can request a reasonable accommodation by contacting PPPL's Office of Human Resources at Onboarding@pppl.gov .
Princeton University-Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory (PPPL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Princeton University-PPPL job offers are contingent upon the candidate’s successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. Princeton University-PPPL requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit proof of vaccination status. Employees who cannot receive the vaccine because of a disability/medical contraindication or sincerely-held religious belief may request an accommodation (e.g., an exemption) to this requirement.
PPPL is a U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) national laboratory managed by Princeton University. The DOE prohibits DOE employees and contractors from participation in certain foreign government talent recruitment programs. All PPPL employees are required to disclose any participation in a foreign government talent recruitment program and may be required to withdraw from such programs to remain employed under the DOE Contract.
Princeton University-PPPL is a residential community and an employer that operates continuously 24 hours a day. Essential services employees perform jobs that are necessary and required to maintain basic University operations during scheduled closures or unscheduled suspension of normal operations due to emergencies, events, or other situations. Essential services employees may be asked and/or required to perform jobs or duties that fall outside of their normal job classification during an emergency event. Learn more about our Essential Services policy .
Go to Princeton University careers site.
Multiple Human Brain Imaging Faculty Positions Available At Rutgers Brain Health Institute, Rutgers University, United States, about 5 hours ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Multiple Human Brain Imaging Faculty Positions Available at Rutgers Brain Health Institute Department RWJ - Brain Health Institute Salary Commensurate Wi...
System Administrator, Rutgers University, United States, 3 days ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title System Administrator Job Category Staff & Executive - Information Technology Department IPO-Information Technology Overview The Division of Institutional...
Public Relations Specialist I , Rutgers University, United States, about 4 hours ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Public Relations Specialist I Job Category Staff & Executive - Athletics Department Athletics Mktg & Communication Overview The Rutgers Division of Inter...
Program Coordinator Ii, Rutgers University, United States, about 5 hours ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Program Coordinator II Job Category Staff & Executive - Athletics Department Athletics Mktg & Communication Overview The Rutgers Division of Intercollegi...
Assistant Director Of Football Operations, Rutgers University, United States, about 5 hours ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Assistant Director of Football Operations Job Category Staff & Executive - Athletics Department Football Overview The Rutgers Division of Intercollegiate...
Research Teaching Specialist, Iii, Rutgers University, United States, 4 days ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Research Teaching Specialist, III Job Category Staff & Executive - Research (Laboratory/Non-Laboratory) Department Immunology Oncology Overview Our visio...