The Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology serves as a regional resource for clinical laboratory services required for patient care, research and educational programs in laboratory medicine and pathology. The department now employs 900 people who work at the award-winning University of Washington Medical Center, Harborview Medical Center and many other clinical and research facilities in the area. The University of Washington (UW) is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement and natural beauty.
The Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology has an outstanding opportunity for a full-time, night shift, Health Services Manager. The person in this role manages the clinical operations of Night Shift Core Lab Laboratory in Laboratory Medicine, which is comprised and condensed operations of Chemistry, Heme/Coag and Microbiology Laboratory. This position will manage the lab to include but not limited to supervise Medical Laboratory Scientists, manage quality assurance, preventive maintenance, safety, continuing education, competency, training, and student programs for the night shift lab. Budget responsibilities include but not limited to FTE, budget development, recommending budgetary goals based on prior performance and known upcoming expenses, and managing division expenditures to maintain the expected budge.
- Provide overall technical and administrative management and leadership to the Immunology Laboratory.
- In conjunction with Faculty, set goals for the laboratory. Participate in formulation of division goals and policies and plan strategies to ensure the Division is able to meet future demands.
- Implement strategic initiatives defined in above process.
- Provide technical leadership for the lab; provide input and consultation for technical problems that arise.
- Prepare data for cost analyses, and manage expenditure of funds throughout the year in conjunction with faculty and department administration.
- Develop and implement departmental and divisional policies and changes in procedure; consult regularly with lab director.
- Evaluate and recommend equipment needs; manage the selection of equipment and supplies. Negotiate contracts and pricing for equipment, standing orders and service contracts.
- Act as liaison for the laboratory with other healthcare personnel; utilize interpersonal skills to resolve service related problems with other divisions or departments. Consult with faculty as appropriate.
- Direct and review quality control standards and programs; monitor proficiency testing and preventive maintenance program.
- Manage clinical laboratory rotations for students and other trainees; may prepare and present lecture material to residents, medical technology students, and other medical personnel.
- Prepare presentations for staff, students, and professional meetings.
- Participate in design, performance and direction of research projects.
- Assume additional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Immunology Faculty, Department Administrators, or Department Chair.
- May perform medical laboratory scientist or clinical laboratory technician duties as necessary.
- Maintain a competent technical staff and high quality laboratory testing and training. Coordinate continuing education and in-service education for staff.
- Oversee and coordinate activities in Immunology Laboratory. Manage change and foster innovations and improvements.
- Interview, hire, orient and oversee training of new employees to maintain a qualified technical staff; maintain documentation of training and required competencies.
- Delegate responsibilities, duties and tasks to optimize the use of staff time, skill, and expertise without compromising quality of testing.
- Assess and adjust laboratory staff, considering workload, staff turnover, and budget; plan staff schedules and rotations; assign staff to work sections; review time records to insure appropriateness of time used; act upon vacation and leave requests.
- Review and evaluate employee performance; provide fair and timely feedback on job performance for staff; counsel staff to improve performance as required; recommend disciplinary or remedial action as needed.
- Partner with the Laboratory Information System team to make changes/ improvements.
- Ensure programming between the instrumentation computer and the LIS works as intended. Collaborate with the UWMC Laboratories to ensure updates are programmed in their system. Ensure that the downstream systems display this data in a user friendly format.
- Implement the use of interfaces where possible on the major pieces of equipment.
- Use the LIS to help ensure consistency in reporting from tech-to-tech through the use of rules and standard codes in the Immunology module.
- Represent the Immunology Division regarding CPOE issues.
A Bachelors Degree in Medical Technology or related field, AND at least 4-5 years experience including 2 years of leadership experience in a clinical laboratory.
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Personnel Specialist, Washington State University, United States, about 12 hours ago
Title: 1138-YN - Coordinator Business Title: Personnel Specialist Additional Titles: Location: MET PARK Employee Type: Admin. Professional Job Family: Administrative Professional - OT Eligible Pos...
Administrative Assistant 3: Tacoma, Olympia, Seattle, Puget Sound Partnership, United States, 18 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyPuget Sound PartnershipLocationTacoma, Olympia, SeattleJob CategoryFull time PositionsSalary$3,144.00 - $4,0...
Senior Attorney, Oceans: Seattle, Wa Or Remote(Us), Earthjustice, United States, 8 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyEarthjusticeLocationSeattle, WA or Remote(US)Job CategoryFull time PositionsSalarySalary range in Seattle, W...
Ireach Outreach Coordinator/Tribal Liaison, Washington State University, United States, about 12 hours ago
Title: 1461-NN - Project Specialist Business Title: IREACH Outreach Coordinator/Tribal Liaison Additional Titles: Location: MET PARK Employee Type: Admin. Professional (+) (Fixed Term) Job Family:...
Fish Hatchery Technician – Soos Creek Hatchery – Non Permanent – *05671 22: Washington, Department of Fish & Wildlife, United States, 25 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyDepartment of Fish & WildlifeLocationAuburn, WashingtonJob CategoryTemporary/Seasonal PositionsSalary$2,552....
Summer Camp Naturalist: Seattle, Washington, University of Washington Botanic Gardens, United States, 24 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyUniversity of Washington Botanic GardensLocationSeattle, WashingtonJob CategoryTemporary/Seasonal PositionsS...