Office of Student Accounts
Non-Exempt, Regular, Full-time, Pay Grade 10
University of Maryland Global Campus is seeking a Head Teller. Under general supervision, supervises the centralized processing of student and departmental payments for the university. Incumbents in this job class may supervise a single function in a large operation or a combined function in a small to medium size operation. Work at this level is characterized by the independent performance of very specialized yet limited accounting functions centered on transactions. Work requires a high level of expertise and preparation in the specialty area(s) where assigned. Incumbents in this job class are responsible for all aspects of the processing operation including planning and organizing processing activities, ensuring proper application and implementation of methods and procedures, coordinating financial accounting system transactions, resolving operational problems, and supervising and training intermediate accounting clerical supervisors and/or subordinate personnel that perform complex accounting work. Incumbents in this job class function as working supervisors performing the work of subordinates as needed.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Supervises and evaluates the staff and daily operations of the cashier unit. Plans and reviews transaction procedures, tracking and reporting methods and staff assignments.
- Oversees the preparation/verification of the institution's transactions into the bank account and reimbursements of petty cash, and/or processing of all the institution's payables such as utilities, purchase orders, invoices, contracts, and travel reimbursements.
- Coordinates and monitors on-line processing and transaction batches through the institution's financial accounting system. Maintains manual and automated files and databases for assigned area(s).
- Performs daily and monthly reconciliation of the credit card merchants closings.
- Prepares and maintains processing and closing schedules for applicable area(s). Prepares special statements, reports, estimates or projections as directed.
- Ensures compliance with applicable state and federal laws and other regulatory requirements for payroll and/or accounts payable transactions. Reviews applicable institutional documents for accuracy, completeness, and conformity with audit procedures.
- Recommends and helps to implement policies, operating procedures and processing methods to ensure efficient and accurate processing of all cashier transactions.
- Answers inquiries regarding area operations and procedures and functions as resource person for the interpretation and application of laws, rules, and regulations related to the Office of Student Accounts.
- Advises and instructs institution personnel on cashiering and student account policies and procedures. Updates and maintains applicable policy and procedures manuals.
- Maintains liaison with vendors, TouchNet, Wells Fargo, State Controller's Office, various institution officials and other internal and external entities to facilitate transactions and resolve problems.
- Authorizes working fund checks and/or cash disbursements for emergency purchases or petty cash.
- Perform other related duties assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or GED and five (5) years' experience in specialty area of the position (payroll and/or accounts payable), two (2) years of which must have been in a lead or supervisory capacity.
- Thorough knowledge of complex and specialized payroll and/or accounts payable procedures and practices; of data processing procedures used in the processing of payroll and financial transactions; of related federal and state laws; of State of Maryland and UMS rules, regulations, forms and procedures affecting payroll, procurement, and/or accounts payable processing; of procedures for payroll benefit deductions where applicable; of the institution's accounting operations and procedures.
- Working knowledge of the principles and practices of accounting; of office management and business practices.
- Skill in the use of tax tables where applicable; in analyzing financial transaction problems in assigned area(s) and formulating appropriate solutions; in performing mathematical computations; in posting and balancing ledgers, preparing trial balances and reconciling accounts; in the use of calculators, related office equipment, personal computers and related financial software.
- Ability to train and supervise assigned staff in payroll and/or accounts payable operations and procedures; to apply Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); to prepare reports; to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Employees in this job class may be required to work overtime to meet required deadlines.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and resume. UMGC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umgc.edu/benefits.html .
The University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMGC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.
Administration And Financial Manager, American University in Cairo, Egypt, about 13 hours ago
Purpose: Completes all financial tasks of the company and prepares the annual financial statements for presentation to the Board of Directors for approval at the company’s annual general meeting....
Payroll Manager, Adler University, United States, 1 day ago
Description Adler University is currently seeking a Payroll Manager. Under the general direction of the VP, People & Culture, the Payroll Manager oversees and manages system and payroll processing...
Staff Accountant Temp To Hire, Adler University, United States, 1 day ago
Description Under the general guidance of the AVP, of Finance the Staff Accountant performs various accounting and finance functions, coordinates accounts payable, reconciliations, banking, grants...
Accountant, Arizona State University, United States, 5 days ago
64796BR Campus: Tempe Accountant Job Description Financial Services seeks an Accountant for the Debt, Plant and Capital Asset Management accounting area who will: process financial transactions, e...
Associate Director Of Finance, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 20 days ago
Associate Director of Finance Ref.: 502769 Work type: Full-time Department: Finance and Enterprises Office (60500) Categories: Professional & Management Applications are invited for the position o...
Operations Coordinator, Office Of Global Surgery, University of Alberta, Canada, 10 days ago
This competition is open to all applicants however internal candidates and applicants who were former employees of the University of Alberta in the past 18 months will be given priority considerat...