Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation.
- Colorado Parks and Wildlife
- Statewide in Colorado
- Job Category
- Temporary/Seasonal Positions
- 17.50/hr plus $25.00 a day for Per Diem
- Start Date
- Last Date to Apply
- Field technicians will sample 500x500 m plots across NW and SW Colorado to determine prairie dog occupancy of both Gunnison's and white-tailed prairie dogs. Surveys will occur across a variety of habitats and elevations up to 10,000 ft. Surveys will include both ground surveys (on foot) and aerial surveys from a fixed wing aircraft. Technicians will assist with plague management of prairie dogs and black-footed ferrets by dusting prairie dog burrows with Deltamethrin (insecticide) via a backpack dusting unit (on foot) and deploying vaccine baits (on foot and by ATV). Technicians may also help on a variety of other projects from spotlighting for black-footed ferrets, trapping and handling prairie dogs at study sites, helping with bat work, and conducting burrowing owl surveys. Much of the work will be physically demanding, require extensive travel, and technicians must be prepared to camp for up to 10 days in a row at sites.
- • Those with an interest in wildlife conservation and management are encouraged to apply. A degree in Wildlife Biology, Zoology, and other natural resources field is desired. • Must be willing to travel extensively across the state and work at remote statewide locations for up to 10 days at a time. Camping at field sites will be required. • Must be willing to work in areas that may have had plague epizootics in the past, and must follow personal safety guidelines provided (plague is caused by the bacterium Yersinia pestis, and though extremely rare is usually contracted from the bite of infected flea). • Must be physically fit in order to work long days (up to 12 hours) in the field, including hiking long distances over rolling terrain, lifting up to 50 lbs, and dealing with inclement weather conditions. • Must have a valid driver’s license, experience driving 4WD vehicles in adverse terrain, and operating an ATV. • Applicants must be detail-oriented and able to follow developed protocols for data collection and entry, and have good communication skills. • Must be able to work well with others for extended periods of time, often with little to no direct supervision. • Must not get air sick and must be able to conduct surveys from a low flying fixed-wing aircraft. HOW TO APPLY: Please send a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three references as a single Word file (via e-mail with your “First and Last name” and “Prairie Dog Field Technician” in the subject line) to: Amy.Seglund @state.co.us Inquiries regarding the position may contact Amy Seglund via e-mail
- Contact Person
- Amy Seglund
- Contact Phone
- Contact eMail
Bookmark the permalink .
Comments are closed.
Researcher In Historic Epidemiology (Ref 224668), University of Oslo, Norway, 25 days ago
The candidate will be working as a part of the Nordforsk funded project “Pathogens, Pandemics and the Development of Nordic Societies (NORDEMICS)”, which ties five universities in Scandinavia toge...
Researcher In Historic Epidemiology, University of Oslo, Norway, about 18 hours ago
Lecturer In Applied Animal Health, Unitech Institute of Technology, New Zealand, about 22 hours ago
Kia hiwa rā! At Unitec, we're passionate about the power of education to positively change the lives of our students, their whānau, and the wider hapori. We make sure our learners are well equippe...
Adjunct Faculty, Asia, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, United States, about 6 hours ago
Job Description We are currently hiring adjunct instructors to teach for our Asian Region campuses. Atsugi • ASCI 202 Introduction to Aeronautical Science • ASCI 254 Aviation Legislation • MATH ...
Winsor Clinic Health Care Associate, McGill University, Canada, about 12 hours ago
Please refer to the How to Apply for a Job (for External Candidates) job aid for instructions on how to apply. If you are an active McGill employee (ie: currently in an active contract or positio...
Recruiter/Family Engagement Coordinator, Arizona State University, United States, about 12 hours ago
79428BR Campus: Tempe Student Recruitment Coord Job Description The Recruiter/Family Engagement Coordinator of the ASU College Assistant Migrant Program (CAMP) Scholars grant in the School of Tran...