As a patient-focused organization, the University of Utah Health Care exists to enhance the health and well-being of people through patient care, research and education. Success in this mission requires a culture of collaboration, excellence, leadership, and respect. University of Utah Health Care seeks staff that are committed to the values of compassion, collaboration, innovation, responsibility, diversity, integrity, quality and trust that are integral to our mission. EO/AA
This position provides exceptional care for our patients and guests by offering them professional service and creating a memorable and rewarding patient experience. The incumbent accurately and professionally handles all desk operations including, but not limited to, all phases of the patient registration and scheduling process. The incumbent also advises patients on all financial obligations which may include the establishment of payment plans.
- Greets and directs patients to their correct destinations. Anticipates the needs of the patients and guests then responds in an accurate and timely manner.
- Handles all interactions with the highest level of hospitality and professionalism, resolving patient concerns and accommodating special request whenever possible.
- Acts as a liaison between patients, guests, back office staff and providers.
- Assists patients with automated medical record access, registration and the scheduling process, as needed.
- Troubleshoots any technical problems with the flow of the front office.
- Completes all established and new patient registrations, with 90% accuracy, by reviewing accounts and other compliance-related documents.
- Prepares any necessary paperwork for patient visits.
- Verifies patient benefits and eligibility, when needed. Collects all necessary co-pays, deductibles, and co-insurance, as needed. Reconciles cash against daily charge and cash reports.
- Responds to telephone calls and correspondence regarding accounts status, payment arrangements, and concerns. Resolves billing or charge disputes or forwards problem accounts to the appropriate individual for resolution.
- Manages inventory and maintenance.
- Acts as a lead for organizational volunteers.
- Performs other duties, as required.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Demonstrated excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational and follow-through skills.
- Ability to be highly motivated and pay attention to detail with a passion to provide excellent customer service.
- Ability to work efficiently and independently.
- Demonstrated computer skills and an ability and willingness to learn new applications and software, procedures and processes.
- Ability to assimilate data from various sources.
- Ability to display active listening and verbalize empathy while developing relationships with patients, guests and coworkers.
- Able to prioritize and multi-task in a fast paced environment.
- Knowledge of HIPAA regulations to ensure that patient information is guarded and respected.
- Ability to navigate a facility with multiple providers and services.
- Two years of exceptional customer service experience, or equivalency.
- Knowledge of HIPAA regulations.
- Associate's degree in a related field, or equivalency.
- Experience in the health care industry.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
Employee must be able to meet the following requirements with or without an accommodation.
- This position involves light to intermediate work providing patient direction and assistance. The incumbent may exert up to 50 pounds and consistently lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move patients or objects, such as medical equipment. The position requires active movement throughout the clinical area to guide visitors and patients through the facility.
Lifting, Listening, Pulling and/or Pushing, Reaching, Sitting, Speaking, Standing, Walking