Facilities Development and Management, Polytechnic campus, seeks a Groundskeeper Specialist (Irrigation Technician) for troubleshooting, repair, and installation of underground turf sprinkler and drip irrigation systems. This position supports Groundskeepers in the maintenance of campus grounds to provide for a visually inviting, safe and aesthetic environment for students, faculty, visitors and staff.
Custodial & Grounds
FDM FM Polytechnic
EVP BUSINESS & FINANCE
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
To be determined
- Maintain irrigation systems and components to run effectively and efficiently
- Follow all appropriate water conservation and sustainability practices
- Perform routine system checks and irrigation audits as necessary
- Repair and renovate existing drip irrigation systems and turf irrigation systems
- Program irrigation controllers for seasonal changes and site conditions
- Monitor and manage developing Calsense central control irrigation system
- Remove old irrigation systems and recover reusable equipment as necessary
- Maintain accurate irrigation tool and supply inventories
- Turn irrigation off and on as necessary to facilitate campus events and communicate with event coordinators as necessary
- Perform work as necessary to complete and close Work Orders
- Troubleshoot computerized electronic systems, irrigation controllers, solenoid valves, decoders, and heads of all types
- Map irrigation systems for campus-wide Irrigation Master Plan; may review or make changes to contract specifications
- Instruct others in minor irrigation repairs
- Troubleshoot irrigation electrical systems using instruments such as multi-meters, toners, utility locating, and other equipment
- Troubleshoot irrigation piping systems using pressure gauges, flow sensors, and other equipment
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Communicate and coordinate with other departments and outside contractors as necessary
- Install new irrigation systems as necessary
- Operate equipment such as tractors and trenchers to install or repair irrigation systems.
- Barricade worksites and open excavations as necessary to maintain public safety
- Maintain orderly worksites, and clean up and restore landscape to prior condition or better when repairs are complete
- Perform other general grounds and landscape maintenance duties as needed to conduct work or as requested by supervisor, including but not limited to: tree and shrub pruning, turf care, weed control, trash and debris disposal
Monday- Friday; 5:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. (hours may vary seasonally)
Two (2) years of grounds maintenance experience, OR, Associate Degree in Horticulture or related field e.g. Golf Course Management, Sports Turf Management, Landscape Construction; OR, Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved; AND possess and maintain One (1) Grounds certification or equivalent e.g. Arizona Pest Application License, Certified Arborist from International Society of Arboriculture, Certified Grounds Technician from PGMS, Passed Desert Landscaper School from the Phoenix Desert Botanical Garden. Employee may be required to possess a valid US Driver’s license of the appropriate class and required endorsements throughout employment.
- Customer Service
- Repairing/maintaining/installation of landscape irrigation systems
- Operating and repair of irrigation controllers and equipment
- Grounds maintenance in a university/higher education setting
Demonstrated knowledge of:
- Turf maintenance
- Irrigation repair
- Principles of horticulture and water requirements of landscape plants of the Phoenix metro area
- Evapotranspiration, precipitation rates, and distribution uniformity
- Soil types, infiltration rates, and percolation rates
- Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and other common computer software
- Wire locators and toners, low-voltage electrical wiring, and 2-wire decoder systems
- Calsense Irrigation Controllers
Activities regularly require long periods of exposure to external elements indigenous to a desert environment, weather, and potential exposure to venomous insects, insecticides, herbicides and fertilizers. Regularly required to operate a variety of landscaping equipment, tools and machines requiring extended periods of walking over uneven and occasionally rocky surfaces, stooping, bending, reaching, lifting and pushing objects of varying weights up to 50 pounds. Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential functions. Regular use of hand and power tools/machines. May regularly operate a motor vehicle as assigned. This position receives regular review of daily work tasks to ensure adherence with established standards for quality, aesthetics, and quantity. Stand for long periods of time. Walk and inspect campus.
May be exposed to hazardous and dangerous materials, tools, and equipment which will require safety precautions and/or specific process to be followed, and may include the use of Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) (e.g. safety glasses, hearing protection, negative pressure and positive pressure respirator). Use of PPE may require medical clearance prior to use.
ASU Facilities Development and Management (FDM) maintains and services all university-owned property, and develops and constructs innovative and sustainable facilities. FDM’s vision is to contribute to and guarantee the success of the university’s mission by creating and caring for the ASU campus and environment. We provide quality customer service, effectively steward our resources, and meet the needs of the university through creative and collaborative efforts.
ASU offers a comprehensive benefits package at very competitive rates to enhance the total compensation of its faculty and staff. This package includes low-cost health and life benefits to insure you and your family, a wellness program for preventative health education and screenings, a disability and leaves program for income protection, employee assistance for free and confidential behavioral health services, reduced tuition for you and your dependents, disability resources for Americans with Disabilities (ADA), a retirement program with a variety of retiree benefits to ensure your financial security at the end of your career, paid vacation and holidays – and more.
ASU’s comprehensive benefits package is a significant part of your overall total compensation – and ASU pays for most of it when you are a benefits-eligible employee. https://cfo.asu.edu/compensation-estimator
For more reasons to join ASU, please visit: https://cfo.asu.edu/why-work-asu
Facilities Development and Management at ASU employment requires current eligibility to legally work in the United States. Facilities Development and Management will not be a sponsor for this position.
This position is located at the Polytechnic campus, 6045 South Sagewood, Mesa, AZ.
This position is dependent on the continuation of funding from a specific source other than state appropriations. As such, this appointment may terminate when the funding is no longer available.
Must possess a valid Arizona driver's license (minimum of Class D) upon employment and maintain throughout employment. Post-offer of employment, selected candidate must possess an acceptable driving record which is 5 or fewer points in the most recent 39 month period from date of hire.
Must pass pre-employment audiogram exam post offer of employment.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 90,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit www.asu.edu/tobaccofree
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
Work reference history information for 3 current and/or former supervisors will be requested at time of interview.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
Assistant Professor In Agricultural Hydrology And Irrigation Systems Engineering, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 9 days ago
Job Description The Department of Integrative Agriculture of the United Arab Emirates University invites applications for an Assistant or Associate Professor position in the field of agricultural ...
Seed Production Manager Grasslanz Technology Ag Research, AgResearch, New Zealand, 4 days ago
Grasslanz Technology is an agriculture innovation company developing new products and technologies that drive productivity, animal health and environmental sustainability. Driven by world class sc...
Iam And Access Analytics For Cloud Native Applications, , Europe, 3 days ago
Your research will focus on Identity and Access Management (IAM), as well as on access control analysis with a focus on access analytics in next generation distributed applications and cloud-nativ...
Professor In Landscape Architecture Especially Landscape Management, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, 4 days ago
The Department of Urban and Rural Development The Department of Urban and Rural Development at the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences Uppsala (Division of Landscape Architecture, subject ...
Instrumentation Technician Utilities Operations (Galveston) 69706, UTMB Health, United States, 14 days ago
Job ID 69706 Job Title Instrumentation Technician - Utilities - Operations (Galveston) Full/Part Time Full-Time Location Galveston Business Unit FACSV Regular/Temporary Regular Favorite Job Min Q...
Security Assistant, Campus Physical Development And Services Department, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 4 days ago
The Opportunity The Campus Physical Development & Services Department seeks an incumbent for the position of Security Assistant to control the movement of people and material within and out of the...