Duke University was created in 1924 through an indenture of trust by James Buchanan Duke. Today, Duke is regarded as one of America’s leading research universities. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke is positioned in the heart of the Research Triangle, which is ranked annually as one of the best places in the country to work and live. Duke has more than 15,000 students who study and conduct research in its 10 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools. With about 40,000 employees, Duke is the third largest private employer in North Carolina, and it now has international programs in more than 150 countries.
Coordinate and/or perform pre-award and/or post-award activities for the Pratt School of Engineering Dean’s Office and Departments and Units, which has a large, complex, diverse, and rapidly growing portfolio of grants and contracts. Pre-award activities include broad duties in the preparation and submission of grant and contract proposals. Ensures all applications meet agency and university guidelines and published deadlines. Ensures proposals are entered and routed in a timely manner for further review. Post-award activities include detailed reconciliation of the assigned project budget, including determination of allocability and allowability of charges; preparing and analyzing budget reports; developing budget projections; adjudicating and correcting assigned project budgets to meet project goals and federal requirements; and an annual report for the school.
This position functions as a manager and/or facilitator of large projects, such as grants and contracts, that span multiple disciplines and faculty. Analysis and reporting of activities and trends, as well as supporting initiatives to promote opportunities, are also included.
- Manage large projects that span multiple disciplines and faculty.
- Serves as the point person for team members across Pratt on general and contract issues as well as questions related to university guidelines. Lead quarterly Pratt-wide meetings on sponsored research-related topics.
- Provide onboarding and training support for new Grants and Contracts team members across Pratt.
- Provide guidance to Pratt PIs on the requirements of the IRB, IACUC, COI, IBC, and research-related regulations, including proposal submission and award set-up. Consult with the department compliance liaison as necessary. < /span>
- In coordination with departments,provide additional pre- and/or post-award support for large, complex proposals involving multiple PIs, Duke departments, and/or external institutions.
- Provide temporary pre- and/or post-award support for departments based on workload, leaves, and/or vacancies.
- Develop budgets and budget justifications, which include proofing the budget for inconsistencies, ensuring accuracy and consistency between budgets, and a budget justification that includes sub-recipient information secured from sub-agreements.
- Manage the subcontract process with ORA/ORS and collaborating organizations.
- Advise PIs on administrative requirements in preparing proposal submissions.
- Prepare, coordinate, and review certain proposal elements (biosketches and facilities and resources) for consistency, accuracy, and completeness.
- Monitor compliance with agency and university regulations regarding submission; verify all financial information to include the application of the appropriate overhead rate for the project.
- Review sponsored projects through SPS to O RA/ORS to ensure compliance with university procedures and institutional signatures.
- Ensure understanding of the current financial performance of studies and identify areas of concern that need resolution. Advise PI on budget adjustments and revisions necessary to meet the sponsor's requirements.
- Monitor proposal status and advise the PI on requirements and deadlines associated with research protection protocols.
- Develop a project management plan for eview by the PI or senior-level grants administrator.
- Make cost-sharing adjustments to reflect appropriate labor distribution or related cost-sharing obligations.
- Manage budget, reporting, and compliance timelines through the lifecycle of the grant or contract; communicate new WBSEs to appropriate department personnel.
- Establish sub-recipient requirements and provide on-going sub-recipient monitoring. Coordinate the issuance of sub-agreements with ORA/ORS.
- Establish and implement project management plans for complex projects.
- Reconcile monthly budget reports,implement adjustments, and inform the PI and/or supervisor of corrections or adjustments that have been made.
- Preparing budget projections and analyses to assist the PI in financial grant management
- Identify the need for cost transfers from budget reconciliation; submit or approve the cost transfers.
- As requirements change, prepare and submit requests for re-budgeting or modifying the funded project budget. Reconcile and close all sub-recipient budgets and obtain all sponsor-required reports.
- Monitor compliance with agency and university regulations regarding porting.
- Maintain financial records per the institutional document retention guidelines.
- Ensure procedures (SOP) are in place within the unit for proper handling of sponsor checks for deposit and recording in the appropriate fund codes. This must be handled in accordance with the institution's check handling process.
- Interpret Pratt School and departmental policies and procedures, making decisions on specific operating problems, and issuing instructions on behalf of the unit.
- Manage overdrafts in line with unit procedures and institution guidance.
- Close out all funded projects consistent with university processes and timelines.
- Perform overall grant monitoring using tools available to monitor compliance with Duke policies.
Project Management and Data Analysis: 40%
- Support initiatives across Pratt to engage faculty and support their research endeavors; this includes monitoring and reporting proposal submissions and awards for trends related to faculty portfolios.
- Partner with ORS and other Duke offices to identify new funding opportunities for Pratt faculty and prepare funding opportunity lists to be distributed school-wide.
- Engage and support fully for large interdisciplinary initiatives and applications.
- Manage the USNWR and ASEE annual survey data collection and submission for Pratt.
- Prepare and submit reports to the Associate Dean of Finance and Administration and the Associate Dean for Research and Infrastructure when requested.
- Partner with members of the Pratt leadership team on special projects and initiatives; special projects will be determined based on an individual’s experience and may be in the areas of general administration, finance, data processing, tool and resource development, and/or policy development.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Mentor and train all grant and contract positions and support personnel across the Pratt School of Engineering.
Work requires communications, analytical and organizational skills requirements. generally acquired through completion of a bachelor's degree program. Research or grants education and/or certification is preferred. Successful completion of the Research Administration Academy (RAA) and Advanced Grants Management is required. Employees hired into this classification without the expected credentials will work closely with their manager to schedule and successfully complete all training (12 months to complete RAA and an additional 6 months to complete AGM). Successful completion of all expected training will be an annual performance goal until complete. Upon completion of expected training, the employee must maintain Research Administration Academy (RAA) certification and Advanced Grants Management (AGM) certification by completing continuing education Successful completion of Financial Services Introduction to R3, Introduction to Duke GL, Introduction to Accounting, Sponsored Research Reporting, Research Administration at Duke (on-line), Basic Compliance (on-line) within first six months of hire is required. Certified Research Administrator preferred.
Work generally requires three years of relevant grants and contracts experience.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Contracts & Grants Coordinator, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, United States, 2 days ago
Details Posted: 30-Nov-23 Location: Chapel Hill, North Carolina Salary: Open Internal Number: 270495 Vacancy ID: NF0007592 Position Summary/Description: This position may be eligible for a hybrid ...
Post Award Financial Analyst, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, United States, 14 days ago
Posting Information Posting Information Department Office of Sponsored Programs-621100 Career Area Research Professionals Posting Open Date 11/06/2023 Application Deadline 11/21/2023 Open Until Fi...
Biostatistician I, Duke University, United States, about 8 hours ago
School of Medicine Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nation's top medical schools. Ranked sixth among medical schools in the nation, the School takes p...
Contracts & Grants Coordinator, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, United States, 1 day ago
Posting Information Posting Information Department Arts and Sciences Deans Office-300100 Career Area Accounting/Finance/Auditing Posting Open Date 11/29/2023 Application Deadline 12/12/2023 Open U...
Director, Nicholas Institute For Energy, Environment, & Sustainability, Duke University, United States, 8 days ago
Director, Nicholas Institute for Energy, Environment, & Sustainability Durham, NC THE SEARCH Duke University, one of the nation’s leading research universities, seeks a dynamic and collaborative l...
Neurology Clinical Trials Unit Director, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, United States, 1 day ago
Posting Information Posting Information Department Neurology-411801 Career Area Research Professionals Posting Open Date 11/29/2023 Application Deadline Open Until Filled Yes Position Type Permane...