The Center for Personalized Cancer Therapy (CPCT) is a collaborative venture between the University of Massachusetts Boston (UMB) and the Dana Farber/Harvard Cancer Center (DF/HCC). The Genomics Core resides within the CPCT and exists to provide genomics-based technology services to the UMass Boston and DF/HCC communities, other academic institutions, and industry users. Reporting to the Genomics Core Manager, the Genomics Core Assistant will play a key role in providing these services. The Assistant will use, and facilitate the use of, instruments in the Core for quality validation testing, interface with customers to receive samples and deliver data, and assist with Next Generation sequencing library construction and sequencing on Illumina NextSeq 2000 and Miseq instruments.
Examples of Duties:
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with sequencing workflow including nucleic acid quantitation and integrity assessments using the Agilent TapeStation and Bioanalyzer instruments; quantification of libraries using QuantStudio 12K Flex PCR instrument; operation of the Illumina Nextseq 2000 and MiSeq Sequencing Systems under direction; monitoring sequencing runs; performing and maintaining logs of scheduled instrument maintenance; posting data to faculty, research students and industry customers;
- Implement established programs for the Biomek FXp using Beckman software;
- Use established methods to transfer data to and from high performance computing clusters for file conversion and data analysis;
- Maintain quality control logs for buffer/reagent preparation; navigate Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) for sample entry and tracking; maintain reagent and equipment inventory and usage logs; provide administrative support for purchasing materials and supplies for Genomics Core services;
- Assist with gene expression studies with NanoString nCounter system; set up hybridization reactions; prepare the automated Prep Station with reactions and consumables; initiate data collection on the Digital Analyzer;
- Maintain the safe operation of the Genomics Core ensuring the proper and safe storage and handling of equipment and materials; work with Environmental Health and Safety to coordinate the transfer and disposal of laboratory waste;
- Initiate sample processing upon their receipt to provide rapid turnaround; coordinate drop-off of samples when necessary;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements: Bachelor's Degree in the biological or chemical sciences, and a minimum of 3 months of experience using molecular biology in a research lab setting, including the manipulation of RNA and DNA samples. Previous experience in a biomedical core setting preferred. Experience in preparing samples for next generation sequencing is preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office and other software applications and products;
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Ability to work independently, prioritize projects and complete tasks on time;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Strong commitment to customer service.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link:
This is an exempt union position.
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
UMass Boston requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and to confirm proof of their vaccination status including booster. Exemptions from the vaccine requirement will be permitted only for qualifying religious or medical reasons. Regardless of vaccination status, you must wear a face covering in public indoor spaces on campus.
Data Coordinator, Harvard University, United States, 7 days ago
17-Sep-2022 Harvard Medical School 59824BR Position Description The Data Coordinator for the UDN Coordinating Center (UDN CC) at the Harvard Medical School (HMS) Department of Biomedical Informati...
Laboratory Supervisor, School Of Medicine, Framingham Heart Study (22500029640906), Boston University, United States, 4 days ago
Oversee the day-to-day operation of the Framingham Heart Study laboratory, including phlebotomy and testing of samples collected from study participants. Supervise the FHS laboratory QC program, m...
Infectious Diseases Faculty, Infectious Diseases, School Of Medicine (22599930330920), Boston University, United States, 15 minutes ago
The Section of Infectious Diseases at Boston Medical Center is recruiting talented MD or PhD investigators to join our faculty and launch their own research career. Candidates whose work focuses o...
Bioinformatician Ii, Harvard University, United States, about 9 hours ago
22-Sep-2022 Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health 59872BR Job Summary The Harvard Chan Bioinformatics Core (HBC) is a center for bioinformatics research, services and training at the Harvard T...
Assistant Professor, Biological Design Center, College Of Engineering (22599929850819), Boston University, United States, 25 days ago
The College of Engineering at Boston University has embarked on a bold new strategic plan that will pursue excellence and impact along convergent and collaborative research themes while remaining ...
Sterilization Shift Supervisor, School Of Dental Medicine, Clinical Affairs (22500543820830), Boston University, United States, 23 minutes ago
This is a working supervisory role within the Central Sterilization Department. Through subordinates, supervises plans and directs workflow activities in the following areas; decontamination, prep...