About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
As part of a multidisciplinary team, provide information to individuals and families about genetics and cancer/cardiovascular risk, facilitate genetic testing, and provide psychosocial support to cope with cancer/cardiovascular risk. Contributes value to each of the CCG domains (clinical, research, and education). Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
- Collection of detailed family histories (both maternal and paternal).
- Retrieval and review of medical records for key affected individuals.
- Pedigree assessment and recognition of cancer/cardiovascular susceptibility syndromes.
- Use appropriate models to estimate genetic and empiric cancer/cardiovascular risk.
- Assist with informed consent discussion, including benefits of genetic knowledge and family risk communication, privacy, confidentiality, and discrimination issues.
- Educate patients about the medical and psychosocial implications of cancer/cardiovascular risk and genetic testing.
- Advise and assist the attending physician regarding selection of laboratory, coordination of testing and interpretation of test results.
- At the direction of the attending physician, provide patient education regarding risk–appropriate medical management and screening options.
- Assist the attending physician with psychosocial assessment.
- Provide post-test education, counseling, and support.
- Dictate medical consultation reports for counselor-only appointments and for post-visit results disclosures.
- Moderate and participate in case conferencing
- Field inquiries related to genetic testing/counseling services from patients and the public
- Participate in CSPPN meetings
- Participate in the training of students (genetic counseling interns, fellows)
- Complete required research compliance training to be able to participate in research collaborations
- Train for and facilitate informed consent for CCG Research Registry
- Data collection and entry for CCG Research Registry
- Participate in CCG research meetings
- Complete and provide critical feedback on Intensive Course (IC)
- Participate in IC onsite workshops
- Participate in weekly IC update conferences
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Master of Science in Genetic Counseling with ABGC board certification or MSN/MN and APRN license
- Two (2) or more years of experience in genetic counseling (or has demonstrated equivalent mastery), one (1) or more years of experience in cancer/cardiovascular genetic counseling specialty.
- Specialized courses and clinical training in the genetics of cancer/cardiovascular disease.
- Currently possess a permanent California Department of Public Health Genetic Counseling Licensure/Certification or equivalent for nursing candidates; or, currently possess a nationally-recognized Accreditation/Licensure/Certification in Genetic Counseling with the ability to obtain a permanent California Department of Public Health Genetic Counseling Licensure/Certification within six (6) months from the date of hire.
- Ability to accurately assess heritable cancer/cardiovascular risk
- Ability to effectively communicate genetic concepts of cancer/cardiovascular risk information to patients and families
- Ability to deal with families in crisis
- Work well with supervision in the clinic setting
- Work independently with minimal supervision in the research venue
- Microsoft Word
- Progeny pedigree database
- The estimated pay scale represents the typical [salary/hourly] range City of Hope reasonably expects to pay for this position, with offers determined based on several factors which may include, but not be limited to, the candidate’s experience, expertise, skills, education, job scope, training, internal equity, geography/market, etc. This pay scale is subject to change from time to time.
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability.
Sr Director Risk Management, Arizona State University, United States, 14 days ago
95172BR Campus: Tempe Sr Director Risk Management Job Description Under administrative direction, sets vision and directs operations, as the senior staff member for the areas of institutional risk...
Adjunct, Risk Management And Insurance, University of Houston - Downtown, United States, about 10 hours ago
Adjunct, Risk Management and Insurance - (ADJ000766) Adjunct- Risk Management and Insurance Department Name:D0015 Finance & Mgmt Info Systems Description Official transcripts will be required from...
Director, Internal Assurance & Enterprise Risk Management, Nyuad, New York University, United States, 2 days ago
Details Posted: 18-Sep-23 Location: Abu Dhabi,, NY, US, Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Other Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 230391505 Director, Internal Assurance & Enterprise Ris...
Senior Scientific Officer – Chemical Informatics, European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), Italy, 24 days ago
28 Aug 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) Research Field Chemistry » Other Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Italy Application Dea...
Senior Scientific Officer – Chemical Informatics, European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), Italy, 8 days ago
13 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) Research Field Chemistry » Other Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Italy Application Dea...
Diagnostic And Prognostic Precision Biomarkers In Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease, Università degli Studi di Torino, Italy, 17 days ago
2 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Università degli Studi di Torino Research Field Medical sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Leading Researcher (R4) First Stage R...