Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
LIGO Laboratory (the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory) seeks a highly motivated and skilled General Computing Intern to join its team.
This position is located in Livingston, LA.
LIGO Laboratory is a National Science Foundation major facility dedicated to observing the newly discovered gravitational-wave universe. Jointly operated by the California Institute of Technology and Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the LIGO Laboratory operates world-leading observatories near Richland, WA and Baton Rouge, LA as well as R&D centers on the Caltech and MIT campuses. The LIGO Laboratory’s mission spans a broad and vibrant array of activities related to gravitational-wave physics and astronomy, including detector operations, R&D toward detector improvements, gravitational-wave astrophysics, observatory operations, and education and public outreach.
For more information, please visit the Laboratory website at www.ligo.caltech.edu
Essential Job Duties
- Work with senior staff to provide technical support and assistance to LIGO staff on their laboratory-provided computers and software
- Work with senior staff to provide software installation and removal as needed, as well as e-mail, anti-virus, anti-malware configuration assistance for users
- Prepare documentation of procedures for such software and configuration assistance
- Work with senior staff to perform diagnosis of hardware issues on user’s computers
- Assist with system backups and restoration, and operating system updates to solve user’s issues
- Perform printer maintenance such as toner replacement and clearing of paper jam
- Must be currently enrolled as a student pursuing an undergraduate degree in Computer Science or another related field of study
- At least 2 years of baccalaureate-level course work in Computer Science or related field of study
- Ability to work at least 15 hours/week during the semester, additional hours/week during summer break
- Working knowledge of Windows or Mac operating systems
- Some experience with network configuration on Windows or Mac systems
- Familiarity with different internet browsers and office productivity software
- Good interpersonal communication skills
- Good problem resolution skills
- Experience in a networked, multi-user computer environment
- TCP/IP configuration knowledge and experience troubleshooting wired and wireless network connections
- Experience with computer hardware such as building a PC and trouble-shooting and replacing components
- Experience with system restorations from backups and upgrading operating system versions.
- Proven ability to troubleshoot and identify problems
- Cover letter explaining your interest in LIGO and summarizing your relevant skills
Systems Engineer, California Institute of Technology, United States, 4 days ago
Systems Engineer Caltech Job Category: Fulltime Regular Exempt Overtime Eligible: Exempt Benefits Eligible: Benefit Based Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshal...
Archival Processing Intern, California Institute of Technology, United States, 20 days ago
Details Posted: 10-May-23 Location: Pasadena, California Salary: Open Categories: Academic/Faculty Library/Information Sciences Internal Number: 4172889 Archival Processing Intern Caltech Job Cate...
Research Technician, California Institute of Technology, United States, 18 days ago
Details Posted: 11-May-23 Location: Pasadena, California Salary: Open Categories: Research - Laboratory/Non-Laboratory Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 4174920 Research Technician Caltech Job...
Research Technician, California Institute of Technology, United States, 6 days ago
Details Posted: 24-May-23 Location: Pasadena, California Salary: Open Categories: Academic/Faculty Biological/Biomedical Sciences Internal Number: 4209317 Research Technician Caltech Job Category:...
Research Scientist, California Institute of Technology, United States, 5 days ago
Details Posted: 25-May-23 Location: Pasadena, California Salary: Open Categories: Academic/Faculty Biological/Biomedical Sciences Internal Number: 4215327 Research Scientist Caltech Job Category: ...
It Summer Intern, California Institute of Technology, United States, 16 days ago
Details Posted: 13-May-23 Location: Pasadena, California Salary: Open Categories: Facilities//Maintenance/Trades Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 4182366 IT Summer Intern Caltech Job Category...