Job TitleFinancial Aid Advisor III
AgencyTexas A&M University
DepartmentScholarships And Financial Aid
Proposed Minimum Salary
Proposed Minimum SalaryCommensurate
Job LocationDallas, Texas
Texas A&M University is committed to enriching the learning and working environment by promoting a culture that respects all perspectives, talents & identities. Embracing varying opinions and perspectives strengthens our core values which are: Respect, Excellence, Leadership, Loyalty, Integrity, and Selfless Service.
Who we are
The mission of Scholarships & Financial Aid is to provide students and their families with information and financial resources to attend Texas A&M University, along with support programs that promote higher education and developmental opportunities. We administer scholarships and financial aid, which include the following programs: grants, student loans, student employment, veteran educational benefits, athletic aid coordination, short-term loans, and emergency tuition and fee loans. In addition our office provides advising on the programs listed above. Our office also assist students in gaining financial literacy knowledge through our Money Education Center. Our office is responsible for processing student aid and veteran educational benefits for College Station, Galveston, all Health Science Center sites and Qatar which totaled approximately $836 million in financial aid assistance for the prior academic year.
What we want
The Scholarships & Financial Aid Advisor III functions as a senior level financial aid advisor responsible for counseling and providing student financial aid and scholarship information to prospective and currently enrolled students at the Texas A&M University School of Dentistry in Dallas, TX. Uses professional judgment to solve financial aid questions and in assisting with recruitment, retention, and some post-graduation issues related to financial aid. Provides information on and refers students to university resources that can assist them in meeting their needs. If this description sounds interesting to you, we invite you to apply to be considered for this opportunity.
What you need to know
This position is located in Dallas, TX.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Three years in financial aid, scholarships, student employment, student veteran’s services or related experience
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to meet deadlines and maintain a high level of accuracy, professionalism, and a customer service orientation
- Knowledge of financial aid counseling, verification, rules, and regulations
- Working knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet programs
- Ability to work individually or as a team in a dynamic organization
- Good interpersonal communication skills
- Must be literate in the English language and able to comprehend, give and follow both written and verbal instructions
- Ability to organize and make decisions
- Ability to relate well with a diverse student population
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Ability to use tact, diplomacy, and judgment in dealing with all customers
- Requires some evening and weekend work as well as travel
- Ability to multi-task and work cooperatively with others
- Must comply with Texas A&M System Policy 07.02 Texas Higher Education Fair Lending Practices. Must be in good standing on all Federal Student Loans. Must be able to rectify default status within three months of employment. Good standing must be maintained for continued employment.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Five years in student financial aid or advising experience at a college level
- Management and supervisory skills
- Two years in a student financial aid specialty area
- Personnel and program management experience
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of current versions of Microsoft products, including Windows and Office
- Knowledge of Financial Aid or Student Information Systems
- Bilingual in Spanish
- Background in general office conditions with much time spent in contact with students
- Ability to develop and make presentations
- Knowledge and experience in an enrollment management area focusing on outreach and/or retention
- Advising - Uses discretion and independent judgement to advise and counsel students, parents, and/or prospective students through scholarships, loans, grants, and financial counseling; responds to questions and counseling needs in-person and by written, phone, and e-mail means from currently enrolled students, prospective student, and parents. Assists students to resolve questions and complaints. Provides loan and indebtedness counseling to students on an individual and group basis. Uses independent judgement to provide support to colleges and departments as needed. Assists with review, revision, and interpretation of complex rules, regulations, procedures and polices relating to general financial aid, scholarships, and team specialty area(s). Awards, revises, and/or approves the awarding of financial aid through the specific controls of program policy and guidelines. Assists in developing and presenting training seminars on pertinent topics and procedures within team area of expertise; learns to provide assistance and guidance to other financial aid staff to ensure that processing activities adhere to established policies and procedures; performs other duties as assigned. Uses discretion to respond to varied questions that may require researching and consolidating data regarding financial aid, scholarships and specialized programs; conducts seminars and gives presentations to include classroom and/or professional level for profession and others. Performs reviews for professional judgement of student files, making adjustments as needed; reviews Satisfactory Academic Progress appeals and makes decisions regarding the validity of these appeals. May present at local or state conferences. Plans and executes special events for specific audiences and in support of departmental initiatives; transitions students from prospective to currently enrolled students; participates in and may lead departmental work groups. Attends local, state and national workshops and conferences; some travel required.
- Military Education Benefits Processing - Serves as VA Certifying Official for Texas A&M School of Dentistry. Assists with student and applicant Veteran and Hazlewood questions, processing and certification. Assists students in resolving questions and and complex inquiries with the Veteran Administration, Texas Veterans Commission, and/or Texas A&M School of Dentistry, and School of Medicine should the need arise. Coordinates with Military Education Benefits (MEB) team on Texas A&M College Station campus to ensure compliance in benefit processing and consistency in policies and procedures between the two campuses. Calls into MEB meetings and other MEB related trainings/meetings as needed.
- Financial Aid Awarding - Awards, revises and/or approves the awarding of financial aid through the specific controls of program policy and guidelines; adjusts if necessary for compliance issues. Uses discretion to respond to varied questions that may require researching and consolidating data regarding financial aid, scholarships, and specialized programs. Performs reviews for professional judgment of student files, adjusting as needed. Reviews Satisfactory Academic Progress appeals and makes decisions regarding the validity of these appeals. Chairs the Scholarship Committee and manage process of notifying students of scholarships, accept and process applications, oversee selection process, and notify recipients; serve on Student Awards Committee; assist with Third-party Payments for departments - (TWAPMTS);
- Student Affairs - Assists with new student orientation, White Coat Ceremonies, Gala, Commencement, and on-campus social activities for students; attendance certification; assist with clearing students financial aid/SBS holds for registration; and assist with other tasks as needed.
- General - Uses discretion to respond to varied questions that may require researching and consolidating data regarding financial aid, scholarships, and specialized programs. Assists in developing and revising financial aid consumer information material, publications, and brochures for currently enrolled and prospective students and their parents, colleges, and departments. Assists with events for specific audiences and in support of departmental initiatives. May attend local, state, and national workshops, and conferences; host and present at various workshops. Minimal travel required. May participate in or lead working groups. Performs other duties as assigned.
Instructions to Applicants: Applications received by Texas A&M University must either have all job application data entered or a resume attached. Failure to provide all job application data or a complete resume could result in an invalid submission and a rejected application. We encourage all applicants to upload a resume or use a LinkedIn profile to pre-populate the online application.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
Director Of Recruitment And Admissions, TAMHSC, United States, about 12 hours ago
Job Title Director of Recruitment and Admissions Agency Texas A&M University Health Science Center Department Student Affairs Proposed Minimum Salary Commensurate Job Location Dallas, Texas Job Ty...
Dental Assistant Iii, TAMHSC, United States, about 12 hours ago
Job Title Dental Assistant III Agency Texas A&M University Health Science Center Department Oral Surgery Proposed Minimum Salary $18.50 hourly Job Location Dallas, Texas Job Type Staff Job Descrip...
Security Officer Dallas (Multiple Positions), TAMHSC, United States, about 12 hours ago
Job Title Security Officer - Dallas (Multiple Positions) Agency Texas A&M University Health Science Center Department Security Dallas Proposed Minimum Salary Commensurate Job Location Dallas, Texa...
Recruitment/Admissions Assoc, University of North Texas at Dallas, United States, about 2 hours ago
Position Details Position Information UNT System Overview Welcome to the University of North Texas System . UNT System includes the University of North Texas in Denton , the University of North Te...
Surgical Assistant, TAMHSC, United States, about 11 hours ago
Job Title Surgical Assistant Agency Texas A&M University Health Science Center Department Oral Surgery Proposed Minimum Salary $19.50 hourly Job Location Dallas, Texas Job Type Staff Job Descripti...
Dental Radiology Technician, TAMHSC, United States, about 12 hours ago
Job Title Dental Radiology Technician Agency Texas A&M University Health Science Center Department Diagnostic Sciences Proposed Minimum Salary Commensurate Job Location Dallas, Texas Job Type Staf...