|Position ID:||Cornell -Animal Science -EA [#21932, WDR-00031900]|
|Position Location:||Ithaca, New York 14853, United States [map ]|
|Appl Deadline:||none (posted 2022/06/15)|
Extension Associate – Crop Yield and Soil Data
Department of Animal Science College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS)
Ithaca, New York
The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) at Cornell embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students, faculty, and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented identities to apply.
CALS is a pioneer of purpose-driven science and Cornell University’s second-largest college. We work across disciplines to tackle the challenges of our time through world-renowned research, education, and outreach. The questions we probe and the answers we seek focus on three overlapping concerns: natural and human systems; food, energy and environmental resources; and social, physical and economic well-being.
What You Will Do
This individual will be an Extension Associate for the Nutrient Management Spear Program in the Department of Animal Science. Specific focus will be on (1) building and managing a statewide yield database of corn silage, corn grain and soybeans, (2) processing farmer-generated yield monitor data into single and multi-year yield maps and reports, (3) analyzing on-farm testing approaches (spatial statistical analyses) using various data layers including past yield, soil and elevation, and including (4) image analysis and evaluation of sensor data (multispectral images from UAS and satellites) for yield model development and on-farm research. This individual will independently design and implement the extension program infrastructure to meet these goals and focus. This individual will collaborate with farmers throughout the region to operate this innovative program on a state-wide level. This individual will function as part of a multidisciplinary team with additional collaborators at the Rochester Institute of Technology and University of Buffalo, as well as the Statistical and Data Sciences Department at Cornell, authoring extension and research reports as well as peer reviewed publications.
This position is full-time and will be located in Ithaca, New York. This is a three-year appointment with possible extension depending on funding and performance.
Database Design and Creation: 35%
• Design, build, and manage a statewide yield database for the collection and processing of yield monitor data for corn silage, corn grain, and soybeans.
• Collaborate with farmers to collect and translate data and establish a data quality control process.
• Manage records, compile, and analyze research data.
• Devise, develop and deliver extension/outreach materials to target audiences.
• Receive, research, and answer industry questions from extension/target audience on related topics.
• Design user interface and generate reports.
• Provide critical assessment of reports, presentation, and results as required to evaluate and ensure proper instrument function.
• Author annual reports summarizing the data for farmer/clients.
• Conduct literature searches, summarize data, prepare reports, scientific articles, and visual aids.
• Create/devise yield maps.
Data Processing/Management/Cleaning: 20%
• Design and present farmer-generated yield monitor data, creating various forms of yield maps and reports.
• Evaluate clean yield data for use for on-farm research evaluation and crop yield prediction.
• Evaluate sensor data for yield estimation for corn and soybean, and development of on-farm research approaches for use by farmers and farm advisors.
• Analyze on-farm testing approaches (spatial statistical analyses) using various data layers including past yield, soil, and elevation.
• Analyze and evaluate sensor data (multispectral images from Unmanned Aircraft Systems - UAS and satellites) for yield model development and on-farm research.
Safety Compliance: 5%
• Ensure compliance in Worker Protection Safety (WPS) in order to work in fields where pesticides have been applied.
• Ensure that all protocols and procedures adhere to safety requirements as mandated an in cooperation with the Cornell Office of Occupational and Environmental Health in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.
Personal and Professional Development: 5%
• Seek out and attend educational seminars and workshops as required by Supervisor.
• Continuously maintain all required educational/position qualifications to fulfill job requirements.
• Maintain good communications with supervisor, technical staff, postdoctoral associates, graduate students, temporary staff and other collaborators within Cornell and at other institutions.
What We Need
Rewards and Benefits
We hope you appreciate great benefits. Cornell receives national recognition as an award-winning workplace for our health, well-being, sustainability, and diversity initiatives.
· We invite you to follow this link to get more information: https://hr.cornell.edu/summaries-benefits .
Please apply via Academic Jobs Online (https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/21932 ).
Qualified candidates should submit a short cover letter, curriculum vitae, contact information for three references, and a statement of contribution to diversity, equity and inclusion via the website.
Applications will be reviewed as received, continuing until a suitable applicant is identified.
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students, and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery, and engagement.
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University’s heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. We also recognize a lawful preference in employment practices for Native Americans living on or near Indian reservations.
Employment Assistance: If you require an accommodation for a disability in order to complete an employment application or to participate in the recruiting process, you are encouraged to contact Cornell University's Department of Inclusion and Workforce Diversity at voice (607) 255-3976, fax (607) 255-7481, or email at email@example.com. For general questions about the position or the application process, please contact the Recruiter listed in the job posting. Applicants that do not have internet access are encouraged to visit your local library, or local Department of Labor. You may also visit the office of Workforce Recruitment and Retention Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. to use a dedicated workstation to complete an online application. Notice to Applicants: Please read the required Notice to Applicants statement by clicking here. This notice contains important information about applying for a position at Cornell as well as some of your rights and responsibilities as an applicant. EEO Statement: Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University’s heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities. We also recognize a lawful preference in employment practices for Native Americans living on or near Indian reservations. Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students, and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose, and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery, and engagement.
Todd Hill Market Lead Sales Clerk Millbrook, Ny, Cornell University, United States, about 18 hours ago
The Cornell Cooperative Extension Dutchess County Todd Hill Market Lead Sales Clerk supports the Taste NY Market at Todd Hill Store and Farmers’ Markets and related activities. Primary responsibil...
Faculty Position In Theriogenology, Cornell University, United States, about 23 hours ago
Faculty position in Theriogenology Located in Ithaca, N.Y., Cornell University is a bold, innovative, inclusive and dynamic teaching and research university where staff, faculty, and students alik...
Event Coordinator For , Cornell University, United States, 9 days ago
Serve as a Marketing Team member who is a talented and motivated Event Coordinator to organize fundraising events. The Event Coordinator will oversee the logistics of CCE Suffolk events. This in...
Faculty Position In Cardiology, Cornell University, United States, about 23 hours ago
Faculty Position in Cardiology The Department of Clinical Sciences in the College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell University invites applications for a tenure track Cardiology faculty position i...
Senior Director Of Human Resources, Cornell Tech (Nyc), Cornell University, United States, 5 days ago
Cornell University embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students, faculty and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly encourage indiv...
Efnep Nutrition Educator Herkimer, Ny, Cornell University, United States, about 18 hours ago
The EFNEP Nutrition Educator delivers public education to improve healthy food and lifestyle choices among limited resource families and individuals encompassing all age groups throughout Herkimer...