Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community.
- The Assistant Director of Export Control works with the Director of Export Control to ensure compliance with laws related to international trade and technology transfers.
- This position is responsible for working with internal clients in determining the proper course of action to comply with regulations regarding exports, deemed exports, and international travel.
- The position reports to the Director of Export Control.
Role & Responsibilities
- Coordinates and manages all centralized functions of the institutional export management program to facilitate compliance with and all applicable U.S. export and sanctions regulations (The International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) under the auspices of the U.S. Department of State; the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) under the auspices of the U.S. Department of Commerce and the Office of Foreign Assets Controls (OFAC) regulations under the auspices of the U.S. Department of Treasury).
- Centralized functions include conducting restricted party screening; reviewing research activities for deemed exports; reviewing activities for end-use and end-user restrictions, trade-related embargoes, and anti-boycott restrictions; commodity jurisdiction determination; assigning appropriate export classifications and making export licensing determinations; applying for export licenses; and implementing of the export control compliance processes across Emory.
- Reviews export controlled research projects, provides accurate, and reliable interpretation of U.S. export control restrictions, and creates technology control plans as needed. - Provides guidance and training to faculty, staff, students regarding various aspects of compliance including deemed exports, restricted research and technology control plans, international travel, and international shipping.
- Collaborates to develop, implement, update and support programs, policies and procedures related to U.S. export control regulations.
- Liaises with departments such as Human Resources, Procurement, General Counsel, Sponsored Programs, Conflict of Interest, Travel, Shipping, IT, Finance, and other applicable functions to assist in the export control program implementation and recommend and apply updates to export control policies, processes, and practices.
- Collaborates with partners across campus to conduct monitoring and evaluation of export compliance processes.
- Performs regular assessments of export control compliance function identifies and researches potential export compliance risks, gaps, and violations.
- Recommends and implements prompt risk mitigation and resolution activities as applicable; and works with external counsel and General Counsel on any investigations of non-compliance.
- Recommends appropriate action to senior management, including remedial activity for issues of non-compliance identified.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- A bachelor's degree and three years of professional level export control compliance or related experience, OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Experience implementing an export control program in a major university or corporate environment and experience in academic research, research administration and compliance is highly desired.
- An advanced degree (e.g., MBA, JD) and/or export control certification is preferred.
NOTE: This role will be granted the opportunity to work from home regularly but must be able to commute to Emory University location as needed. Emory reserves the right to change this status with notice to employee
The COVID-19 vaccine or an approved exemption is currently only required for individuals working in a clinical setting. For more information on the University or Hospital policies, including exemptions, please see our website.
Emory University is dedicated to providing equal opportunities and equal access to all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, genetic information, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, and veteran's status. Emory University does not discriminate in admissions, educational programs, or employment on the basis of any factor stated above or prohibited under applicable law. Students, faculty, and staff are assured of participation in University programs and in the use of facilities without such discrimination. Emory University complies with Executive Order 11246, as amended, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veteran's Readjustment Assistance Act, and applicable executive orders, federal and state regulations regarding nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action. Emory University is committed to achieving a diverse workforce through application of its affirmative action, equal opportunity and nondiscrimination policy in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training. Inquiries regarding this policy should be directed to the Emory University Department of Equity and Inclusion, 201 Dowman Drive, Administration Building, Atlanta, GA 30322.
Emory University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request a reasonable accommodation, please contact the Department of Accessibility Services at 404-727-9877 (V) | 404-712-2049 (TDD). Please note that one week advance notice is preferred.
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration!
Professor/Associate Professor In Digital Control Of Electric Drives And Power Electronic Converters, NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU, United Kingdom, 16 days ago
About the job The Department of Electric Energy (IEL), at the Faculty of Information Technology and ElectricalEngineering (IE), Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), invites app...
Announcement Of Position Opening (Professor/ Associate Professor) From Graduate School Of International Development, Nagoya University, Nagoya University, Japan, 16 days ago
25 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Nagoya University Department Graduate School of International Development Research Field Economics Other Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4)...
Assistant Professor Position (Tenure Track), Department Of Physics, Graduate School Of Science, Nagoya University, Japan, 29 days ago
11 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Nagoya University Department Department of Physics, Graduate School of Science Research Field Mathematics Astronomy Physics Environmental science »...
Associate Professor With Tenure Or Assistant Professor With Tenure Track(Graduate School Of Mathmatics), Nagoya University, Japan, 16 days ago
25 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Nagoya University Department Graduate School of Mathematics Research Field Mathematics Physics Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Leadin...
Assistant Professor Human In The Loop Control And Learning, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, 3 days ago
Challenge: The presence of humans as actors, sensors, or actuating agents in complex systems creates challenges in terms of unpredictability and uncertainty that cannot yet be handled adequately b...
Assistant Professor In Control System, Scuola IMT Alti Studi Lucca, Italy, 19 days ago
19 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Scuola IMT Alti Studi Lucca Research Field Engineering » Control engineering Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Established Researcher (...